Howard Stern to Replace Jimmy Fallon ?

Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
edited March 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/t ... 8RvXN2Y6pN

06.1t078.stern_-m---300x300.jpg
06.1t078.stern3_-m---300x300.jpg

You probably wake up to Howard Stern — but do you want to go to sleep with him, too?

Over the weekend, word broke that Jay Leno is being pushed out to make room for the younger Jimmy Fallon — but sources close to the radio man tell The Post that Stern, in turn, is being “groomed” by NBC as the new Fallon.

Leno’s contract runs out on the “Tonight Show” in 2014, and he’s on the fast track out, despite his great ratings.

Sure, Stern loves the judging gig on “America’s Got Talent,” but even Piers Morgan and Sharon Osbourne could take just so much of extreme cyclists and dog acts. I never figured it was really about that for Stern — it was about creating a Howard that was palatable for TV.

Howard has been trying to show TV suits for years that he’s the whole package — as opposed to the one he talks about on the radio. He’s shown — on “AGT,” one of the most popular family shows on TV — that he can act like a grown-up and play well with others, if the money’s right.

And, according to a source who knows him well, the suits at NBC have gotten the message.

But why, then, would NBC hire a guy — Stern — who is not only just three years younger than Leno but is too old in TV years to even appeal to himself?

Stern’s hot, younger wife (she’s 40, he’s 59), Beth Ostrosky Stern, told The Post’s Sean Daly that, “We were in a hotel and all these little kids recognize him now as the judge from ‘America’s Got Talent.’ Usually it’s their dads. But now it is screaming little kids. People are now seeing him for who he really is.”

So now that he’s acceptable for prime time, is he ready for late night?

“I always say that to him! He is one of the best interviewers out there,” Beth said.

So can she talk him into trying his hand at staying up late? “I am going to!” she said.

Not that it would take much urging since he’s already tried late-night TV several times before — but always with mixed results. In 1987, in an attempt to replace Joan Rivers’ on “The Late Show,” he made a bunch of pilots, but his show never made it to air.

From ’90 to ’92, he briefly had “The Howard Stern Show,” on Saturday nights on WWOR-TV (Ch. 9), and for 11 years, beginning in 1994, E! ran a half-hour truncated version of his radio show.

In 1998, Stern was back on Saturday nights with “The Howard Stern Radio Show” on CBS TV stations, but the content was so risque that hinterland affiliates began deserting the ship in droves. Still, it lasted four years.

But that was then and this is now, when broadcast TV is testing boundaries and is getting riskier and more risque than it ever was a decade ago.

So it makes sense. NBC could keep a tamed-down but still risky Howard on in late-late night until he’s a dirty old man himself, and he’d still have young guys thinking he’s the God of strippers and freaks.

His agent, Don Buchwald, says he won’t comment on clients, and NBC’s new head of late night, Doug Vaughan — an old friend and former colleague — has literally gone radio-silent.

And we all know that in TV, silence is as good as gold — which, as of yesterday was hovering around $1,650 an ounce.
For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
platessmall.jpg
ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
http://www.UNOS.org
Donate Organs and Save a Life
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    Ever since he went to satellite radio I haven't heard a peep from or about the guy and I don't mind. I used to listen to him on K-Rock when I was a teen, but after a while it got old - same old stuff. I don't think he makes sense because it's not like he'd ever replace Fallon in the top spot anyway.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    It could work. He has a pretty loyal fan base that could easily get him 3-4 Million viewers a night (not sure what fallon gets).
  • awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    So when Fallon replaces Leno and his ratings suck as Leno is for old people and they bring him back, will Fallon go to TBS? Haven't we been down this road before...
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    I don't know about this. I don't see Howard going back to a medium where he will be censored after all this time at Sirius and doing whatever the hell he wants. Plus, what the hell am I going to listen to all day???
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    This is great news all around, assuming Fallon stays true to himself and his way of doing things. I'm really glad Leno is on the way out - what a dick - and I'd love to be able to watch Stern on TV since I don't subscribe to Sirius.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    he needs to pay attn to radio show....been slipping lately. Joan Rivers Again?!
    aqo2t.jpg