Vinyl: A (Home Made) Documentary Film

javis el errantejavis el errante Posts: 6,136
edited March 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Has anyone ever seen this film? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNRvB8lyRSM

I've just watched it for the first time: very interesting, quite entertaining. A description/depiction of cumpulsory and obsessive vinyl collectors. The blurred and thin line between collecting and hoarding; the hard time people get when buying and then selling/letting go/getting rid of their items from their collection. What struck me the most is the shitty material that has been and is going around the world.

This movie rose many issues that deserve a second thought. To begin with, as broke as I am, still, am I heading towards mental insanity? Hard to tell right now. Further, looking back, will I regret in the near future the decisions I made in the past?

Some individuals in the movie are quite the example of what not to do.
... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    Another good vinyl doc is 'Re-Vinylized' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SGk76IqlSE
  • MedozK wrote:
    Another good vinyl doc is 'Re-Vinylized' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SGk76IqlSE

Thanks
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    That was fantastic! Thank you so much for posting! One of the most mesmerizing documentaries I've seen.

Jesus christ, I am really glad I'm not like any of those people. They all collect more records in a week than I do in a year - it looks like more in most cases. I am just glad that I'm not burdened like that, and that my interest remains completely with the music (the ritual of actually handling the vinyl when playing it is a big bonus). And i'm glad my self-control allows me to restrict my vinyl purchases to those albums that I know I will listen to over and over again, play for others, etc. I don't think I'd ever buy more than maybe 50 records a year, and that is an absolute maximum estimate. So even if I buy that max amount every year for 40 years I'd still only have 2000 albums. I actually feel comforted by the fact that that means I will never end up as an obsessed hoarder! :lol: That's kind of a sick reaction to the film maybe. :think: Maybe I am just obsessed enough with music on vinyl to have an inkling of fear that I could go in that awful direction, I don't know. Well, after watching that, I'll certainly catch myself if I'm ever tempted! It looks awful!

It's hard to understand people who would have such a need and drive to acquire records that they don't even have a desire to hear. Of course, hoarding in general is a very very difficult disorder to understand if you're not one. I don't suppose anyone can truly understand the feeling if a compulsion unless they have it themselves.

But anyway, that guy is amazingly thoughtful and introspective and self-aware. It's really quite impressive. I find him very likeable; I'd love to chat with him .... How is he now?? Is he still alive, or did he kill himself? :? Fuck, poor depressed guy. What a sad documentary. It's hard to see someone with that much insight and intelligence being dragged down so dramatically by an obsession. But it is somewhat inspiring that he still managed the drive it takes to make that film, despite his oppressive depression. I hope everyone in it who seemed to be struggling with their own self worth are doing okay and better. Many if them seemed quite content, so great, but others, not so much.

Oh, and I totally related to that woman who talked about feeling weird and out of place as a female in record stores. I have very much felt the same way myself. I also liked what she said: "Music is my beauty." :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata