Anheuser Busch accused of watering beer down

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 7652.story
Beer drinkers in three U.S. states filed lawsuits accusing brewing giant Anheuser-Busch of watering down and mislabeling Budweiser, Michelob and other brands to cut costs.

The lawsuits, filed in the last week in California, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, said the brewing giant cheated consumers by listing a higher alcohol content than the beers actually contained.

Ten Anheuser-Busch products were named in the lawsuits: Budweiser, Michelob, Michelob Ultra, Bud Ice, Bud Light Platinum, Hurricane High Gravity Lager, King Cobra, Busch Ice, Natural Ice and Bud Light Lime.

Former employees at the company’s 13 breweries -- including some in high-level positions -- are cooperating with the plaintiffs, said San Rafael, Calif., lawyer Josh Boxer, the lead attorney in the case.

“Our information comes from former employees at Anheuser-Busch, who have informed us that as a matter of corporate practice, all of their products [mentioned in the lawsuit] are watered down,” Boxer said, according to the Associated Press. “It's a simple cost-saving measure, and it's very significant.”

The excess water is added just before bottling and cuts the stated alcohol content by 3% to 8%, he said.

Anheuser-Busch InBev called the claims “groundless” and said its beers fully comply with labeling laws.

“Our beers are in full compliance with all alcohol labeling laws. We proudly adhere to the highest standards in brewing our beers, which have made them the best-selling in the U.S. and the world,” Peter Kraemer, vice president of brewing and supply, said in a statement.

Anheuser-Busch, based in St. Louis, Mo., merged with InBev in 2008 to form the world's largest alcohol producer, headquartered in Belgium. In 2011, the company produced 22 billion gallons of alcoholic beverages, 3 billion of them in the U.S., and reported $22 billion in profits, the lawsuit said.

According to the lawsuit, the company has sophisticated equipment that measures the alcohol content throughout the brewing process and is accurate to within one-hundredth of a percent. But after the merger, the company increasingly chose to dilute its popular brands of beer, the lawsuit alleged.

“Following the merger, AB vigorously accelerated the deceptive practices ... sacrificing the quality products once produced by Anheuser-Busch in order to reduce costs,” said the lead lawsuit, filed Friday in federal court in San Francisco.

Boxer told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the plaintiffs did not independently test the alcohol content in the beers. That was a significant omission, said Eric Shepard, executive editor of Beer Marketer's Insights.

"Right now, I'm skeptical," Shepard told the Post-Dispatch. "Brewers and other large companies are often the targets of class-action lawsuits, and A-B wouldn't have had its vice president of brewing Peter Kraemer come out with their statement if they weren't confident in their standing."

Is Kramer a plantiff....not checking the content before filing. :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :lol::lol::lol:
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    seriously :lol:
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    thought this was a given with all american beers???

:lol:
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    This is why I drink Miller.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    The excess water is added just before bottling and cuts the stated alcohol content by 3% to 8%, he said.

What A-B is supposed to be 11%??
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Budweiser is fucking disgusting anyway... and I drink a lot of shitty beer.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

:lol::lol::lol:

lets say it's stated 5% abc, dilute it 8% and it's now 4.6%
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Those European owners trying to cut corners

:nono:
  • These accusations hold no water. ;)
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

lets say it's stated 5% abc, dilute it 8% and it's now 4.6%

so, "technically" it still is '5%'...I mean, o'Doul's has what, 0.4% abv...so they just say it's 'non-alcoholic'
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    BL_Platinum_6pk_clear.png

6.0, changed to this a few months back, you can feel the difference.
  • BL_Platinum_6pk_clear.png

6.0, changed to this a few months back, you can feel the difference.

My roommate is a big fan
  • shepshep Posts: 5,762
    One of my hockey buddies forwarded me this news article yesterday...

he's a lawyer and suggested our entire team should join the class action suit :lol:

personally, I think he was just looking for some work. ;)
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • I knew it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_WRFJwGsbY <- round the 1 minute mark.
    :D
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Hairy Dane wrote:
    I knew it!

:lol: Nice!
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Nami wrote:

:thumbup:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Nami wrote:

I miss Germany so much

It's just never been the same :lol:
  • klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    kw18 wrote:

the High Life. tasty.
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• klusterfuk wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

the High Life. tasty.

Definitely my go to

Nothing like a few 40's for yourself or picking up a 30 rack for the whole gang :lol:
  • donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    klusterfuk wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

the High Life. tasty.
    No wonder why my husband drinks so fucking much.I should get some monies back. :lol:
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,955
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Nami wrote:

:thumbup:

I know. I've been accusing them of this every time I have to drink one.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Nami wrote:

I miss Germany so much

german beer is over rated. :P

american micro brew is tits.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Hairy Dane wrote:
    I knew it!

:lol::lol: Is that Bruce Dickinson playing guitar?
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,826
    Shhhhhh!! Dont tell DS. :nono:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • 81 wrote:
    Nami wrote:

I miss Germany so much

german beer is over rated. :P

american micro brew is tits.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Headache in a can. I always assumed it was already watered down.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I'll drink it if there is nothing else. Or you have to carry a case of beer 2 miles....say during PJ20. :lol:
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    Headache in a can. I always assumed it was already watered down.

+1
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23