Fellow Jammer to do Everest Base Camp Trek!

janemathiesonjanemathieson Posts: 72
Hey guys, in November my partner is doing the Everest Base Camp Trek to raise funds for Marie Curie :)

It's a charity that we both actively support... for Matt it started when he lost his Mum to cancer, fortunately she passed away in the comfort of her own home, surrounded by her loved ones. My reason for supporting them is slightly different, I am in early stages of heart failure brought on by Takayasu's Arteritis and although I hope and pray that surgery techniques will improve and that they will be able to "keep me going" I don't take it for granted! My one hope is that when my time comes I can be at home.

Marie Curie provide end of life care for those with life limiting conditions (eg Cancer, Parkinson's Disease, MS, heart failure) enabling that person to stay at home and still receive medical care and providing support for their families.

So please, anything you can spare to sponsor Matt will go to an amazing charity that allows many to fulfill their last wish of being at home when their time comes...

You can sponsor him at http://www.justgiving.com/Mattseverestbasecamptrek and from there the money goes straight to Marie Curie so they can start putting it to good use within days of your donation!

Thanks for looking and I will provide updates both here and on facebook as to our fundraising progress and his training! https://www.facebook.com/groups/278210512293835/

Thanks again,

Jane :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Jane,

Great news about the hike. Sorry to hear about your condition.

As someone who made a successful Trek to the Everest Base Camp, and a somewhat successful Trek to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro let me give you some good advice.

TAKE YOUR TIME GETTING TO THE TOP.

Whatever time you have allotted add two or even three more days to it. Coming down is easy and should only take two days.

Going up is dangerous, and you should stop and smell the roses as much as possible.

AMS, HAPE, and HACE are very real and very dangerous. I developed HAPE and HACE on Kilimanjaro, and my porter developed HAPE on Everest. Also a local girl died of High Altitude Edema at a location we stayed at the night before we made it to Base Camp. When we made our descent the next couple days as they carried her body down in a white sheet.

I was rescued after reaching the summit(on Kilimanjaro), but things could have gone very badly and my condition could have caused death at any time. I'm fortunate to have made it down.

As to the Everest Trek. It remains the greatest adventure of my life, and that region is truly amazing and special, and spiritual, and more.

It's expensive to get out there, and the hike is not cheap, so don't skimp out on two or three extra days to acclimate.

If I was to do it again, I wouldn't fly into Lukla. I would trek up from the bottom.

Have a great time.

Nate
  • Hey Nate,
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, haven't been on here for a while :(

Matt's going on an organised trek so acclimatisation days are built in, considering what you've said it's good that they are! He's a postman by trade so walking is obligatory! What we can't train for is the altitude!

I managed a 5 mile cliff walk today with him (yes, I did have to stop on the steepest inclines and slowed him down a bit!), set myself the challenge of doing it and am so pleased I did even though I'm wiped out now!

Seems Matt may have a boots issue, he's got leather walking boots and is starting to think he should've gone for goretex... no pressure points in the boots that he's got though so not sure if it's worth changing them?

Our main problem has been fundraising! We need to raise £3500 in sponsorship and it's not coming easy! Any tips on that side of things would be great! lol

On Pearl Jam stuff, canna wait for the new album! It seems a long time coming! Just got their Manchester UK bootleg playing now, brings back memories of such an amazing night :)

Hope you're having an amazing weekend!

xx
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    what's a "jammer"?
  • Pearl Jam fan :lol:

It was him who introduced me to them when I was lucky enough to meet him some 5 and a half years ago.... I'd been too busy having babies to listen to anything more than Radio 1 music wise and they only play whatever is in the UK charts...
  • Well... we've booked a fundraising event... I know most of you guys won't be able to come but if you can you'd be more than welcome!

On 14th July we're getting people to do the biggest zipwire in the UK, it's down near us in Cornwall, UK and right now I'm just getting as much publicity in the local press as possible! The centre that has the zip has said that it'll keep going for as many people who turn up!

If anyone is in the UK and can make it give me a shout!