It's good to indulge, but why do it with every meal?

2»

Comments

• shortstack wrote:

i would try to raise bees if i wasn't so afraid of them.
    i buy my honey here: http://www.verellenorchards.com/index.html $19 for a 5 pound tub!

Thanks for that link, this orchard is close by, we'll check it out soon :thumbup:
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Oh, by west coast I mean only states with an actual coast. I didn't know Americans consider anything else the west coast!

We definitely have the advantage of cheaper and fresher seafood, but organic veggies can be grown in greenhouses anywhere. I personally only consider the states of Washington, Oregon and California to be 'west coast'. But, some people in the east will say 'west coast' when they talk about Colorado or Utah. Some people even say California is the 'Northwest'...some people need a geography lesson.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Very interesting.. I was just talking to my wife about this last week. we went out for dinner and I got spinach gnocchi for $18. This tiny little dish came out with about 8 gnocchi in a tiny puddle of sauce. At first I was pissed, but after a salad, free bread and a beer, I ate the gnocchi and I was actually full. (im kinda big though, and require larger portions sometimes)

but i've also noticed that if I eat more little bits through the day (nuts & fruit) im not as impulsive as to inhale a huge meal when I finally sit down. And i'm always in a hurry so I eat fast, which is bad. I hear it takes your brain awhile to register that youre full, so eating slow is important.

West coast note -- my wife is vegetarian, and she LOVES to go to Cali.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Oh, by west coast I mean only states with an actual coast. I didn't know Americans consider anything else the west coast!

We definitely have the advantage of cheaper and fresher seafood, but organic veggies can be grown in greenhouses anywhere. I personally only consider the states of Washington, Oregon and California to be 'west coast'. But, some people in the east will say 'west coast' when they talk about Colorado or Utah. Some people even say California is the 'Northwest'...some people need a geography lesson.

uhhh yup :D
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Somebody posted this article over on facebook, and I thought it was pretty interesting:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

I'm spending my time in this country with open eyes and the topic that Cav and I talk most about is food ...
    I noticed that almost everything in the United States tastes a tad too sweet to me. All the cakes, ice creams etc look gorgeous, but when I put them in my mouth I cannot enjoy it because the sweetness is overpowering. When we go and have a sandwich somewhere I am overwhelmed with the pounds of ham, bacon, and cheese on everything, and all is topped with two slices of wheat bread that have been slathered with butter and grilled. Scrambled eggs are surrounded by a fatty puddle, everything is swimming in butter and fat. I almost never finish my meals, it tastes good, but sometimes I feel like my taste buds and stomach are being raped ...

Do you rate the quality of a restaurant by the size of the portions? Is food better to you when it is sweeter and fattier? Is that something American, am I being oversensitive?

Sorry for ranting. I am not criticising this country, I love being here and having all the opportunities. I just feel sorry for the reputation of food :P
    How you describe my country's food is why we don't eat out much,
    it would be rare the older we get.
    It's just not good food in most cases and we demand good food.
    The title of your thread though went immediately to wine for me ;)
  • Why are the Double Stuffed Oreos always on sale, and yet the organic carrots are priced out of range?

Exactly.

Great thread, great perspective.
    Nice shirt.
  • Why are the Double Stuffed Oreos always on sale, and yet the organic carrots are priced out of range?

Exactly.

:lol: true.

My wife always says, the better food might be more expensive now, but your medical bills will be more later if you dont eat good now. :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • :lol: true.

My wife always says, the better food might be more expensive now, but your medical bills will be more later if you dont eat good now. :)

And that is true!
    I wouldn't be surprised if the pharmacy industry has links to the junk food industry :?
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Food portions here are shamefully inflated, given how many in this country GO HUNGRY EVERY DAY. I detest the wastefulness of food.

And don't get me started on those all-you-can-eat buffets. I always found them ridiculous - how much can one scarf down in one sitting? - not to mention overpriced.

(and a sidenote fuck you to cruises - never wanted to take one anyway, and your over-the-top offerings only seal the deal)

However, you can always request your meal be prepared in X way (grilled, not fried, etc.) - and just don't gulp down the whole plate. Enjoy it, savor it! Seems to be a fading trait.

And always take the leftovers.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    :lol: true.

And that is true!
    I wouldn't be surprised if the pharmacy industry has links to the junk food industry :?

I have read so many stories about people who were diagnosed with heart problems, diabetes, high cholesterol etc and had to take all sorts of prescriptions, and when they started working out and eating healthy, their medical conditions ceased.

I must say, I do commend Europe and their ban on some ingredients in food that the US still allows.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    Why are the Double Stuffed Oreos always on sale, and yet the organic carrots are priced out of range?

Exactly.

+1
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • I normally eat pretty healthy but I ordered Chinese and have been eating it for the last day and a half and this morning I had two eggs on top of my leftover garlic pasta. I feel like a balloon. :lol:

I have to go grocery shopping tomorrow and get some healthy stuff to counteract the damage.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Raw Honey is the shit. I get it at my local Publix and use it in my coffee, on toast, whatever. Supposedly it keeps me healthy.
    local honey is supposed to be good to help with allergies.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"