Options

Mother gives birth to two sets of identical twins

catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/0 ... s-of-twins

A US mother has defied odds of 70 million-to-one by giving birth to two sets of identical twins on the same day.

Tressa Montalvo's four newborn sons were delivered by Caesarean section at a women's hospital in Dallas, Texas, on Valentine's Day.

The 36-year-old and her husband Manuel, 43, had planned on having another child to give their two-year-old son a little brother or sister.

But they were shocked when a doctor shared the news they would be expecting four.

"I just couldn't believe it. If I wasn't already lying down on that table, I would have been on the floor," Mrs Montalvo told news station KHOU.

The four babies — Ace, Blaine, Cash and Dylan — were conceived naturally without any fertility drugs or IVF.

However, because these babies came from two eggs, it would be a mistake to call them quadruplets, which generally come from four separate eggs.

With identical twins, a single egg splits and forms two embryos just before it implants in the uterus. Around two percent of all pregnancies result in one set of identical twins.

In Mrs Montalvo's case, two eggs were fertilised and then decided to split before they were implanted.

The chances of that happening are somewhere around one in 70 million, obstetricians said.

With five sons now in the family, the Montalvos said they would still like to try having a girl.
hear my name
take a good look
this could be the day
hold my hand
lie beside me
i just need to say
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    what a trip

one in 70 million

whaaa X 4
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    mysticweed wrote:
    what a trip

one in 70 million

whaaa X 4
    yeah..wow
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,275
    quads.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    go buy a fucking lottery ticket. :o
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    go buy a fucking lottery ticket. :o

Perhaps they should have bought the ticket instead of trying to have more kids...seems like luck already struck!