Verizon cell phone advice

dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Any cell phone techies on here that can recommend a new cell phone for me? We use Verizon Wireless, my wife and both got Droid 3's when they were buy one get one free a year and half ago. Mine still works fine for me, my wife's has been dropped a few times and fell in water twice now. After the latest incident, I was able to get it to turn back on after drying out for a few days and putting a replacement battery in it that I had lying around. I don't think it's going to survive much longer and she's up for a new one at the end of March.

Anyway, starting to do some research and thought I'd ask if anybody has any recommendations, prefer something that runs Android. Samsung Galaxy S III, Droid RAZR, should she wait on something new that's about to come out? Any advice would be appreciated. New phones come out so often I can't keep up!
1998 - Noblesville
2000 - Noblesville
2010 - Noblesville
2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
2018 - Wrigley
2022 - Nashville, St Louis
2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I just got the Samsung Galaxy III myself (on AT&T) and I am loving it!!! Upgraded from my HTC Inspire. Updated Andriod OS. Picture is so crisp and clear, nice big screen and tons of cool functions (which I have yet to utilize as I havent had too much play time on it since I just got it a few days ago) but you can multi task - text while watching vids / use phone and record vids... lots of multi tasking features, and if you know someone that has the same phone you can easily share pics/vids/docs by just holding the phones back to back. Lots of motion controls too. Battery life is much better than my HTC Inspire.

For the record - when I went in (to Best Buy) it was between the HTC One X (which was $50.00 for an upgrade & 2 yr contract) and the Motorola Atrix (which was free for upgrade & 2yr contract)... But then I realized that I had some buyback program on my old phone (which Best Buy apparently no longer does), and they gave me $120 for my old HTC Inspire! So I went for the Galaxy S III which was $150.00, but only actually cost $30 since I had the credit.

Other things I can say: The sales guy said he himself had a Razr but was anxious to switch to the S III. Another girl working there said she has had numerous iphone junkies come in and exchange their iphone 5 for the S III.

Again, Im on AT&T so Im not sure if the deals on the phones are the same for Verizon, but it might be worth checking out Best Buy for good deals. The Galaxy S IV is supposed to come out soon, so the S III will drop in price when that happens too. I always recommend getting the insurance tho. Too many horror stories. Best Buy is $10 a month for the S III and it gets charged to a credit card of your choice.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    Seems like from everything I've ready everybody loves the Samsung Galaxy S III. Looks like the S IV might be coming out in March so that will be an option as well.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • dougfloyd wrote:
    Seems like from everything I've ready everybody loves the Samsung Galaxy S III. Looks like the S IV might be coming out in March so that will be an option as well.
    yep
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    dougfloyd wrote:
    Looks like the S IV might be coming out in March so that will be an option as well.
    Good to know. I have an upgrade now and I was going to go the SIII route. guess ill wait now and see about the newer model.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • dougfloyd wrote:
    Looks like the S IV might be coming out in March so that will be an option as well.
    Good to know. I have an upgrade now and I was going to go the SIII route. guess ill wait now and see about the newer model.
    yep..they said March...
    SIII is amazing..so S IV probably will be better!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    bang it here for all the advice you need:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=204544
    www.myspace.com
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,828
    get the full replacement insurance!!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    mickeyrat wrote:
    get the full replacement insurance!!!!!

unless you a complete klutz, insurance is the biggest scam. 2.5 years in, two phones, zero issues. that'd be close to 500 if we had insurance on both.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Droid RAZR HD. Nuff said.

I thought about the S3 but went with the RAZR instead. The RAZR just seemed more durable. The other features were pretty much similar.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?