Meteorite in Russia (footage)

JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Did nobody see this comin'?
  • I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Posts: 3,508
    Did nobody see this comin'?
    We need Jack Bauer! He's the only one who can handle these situations!
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    168871_4242211493080_721065373_n-305x372.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I don't think they can see these coming, can they??

footage is incredible.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    this is crazy!!

tumblr_mi9quybghz1qzlc1ro1_500.gif

tumblr_mi9r9l41V01qbyxr0o1_500.gif
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    This small bitty one is nothing like the one passing by the Earth at 17,000 miles
    away later today. They say it is a coincidence two so close in the same day :?
    The scientist speaking on the news this morning wore a very cool stars, moon, planets tie :D
    snazzy
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    Sorry for the double post, but there were two threads on it so I obliged them both.

here are the facts about meteors of this caliber:

Enter the atmosphere at 60-80 kms altitude at velocities of ~ 20-30 km/s.

They burn through the atmosphere, heating up from the intense pressures from the compacting atomsphere (due to friction). These pressures are so intense they cause the rock to melt and burn, hence the light.

They slow down as they near the Earth's surface to speeds of 6-8 km/s, at approximately 10-20 kms above the surface. During this burning, called "light flight" the meteor undergoes such intense pressures, it explodes, sometimes several times, as seen by intense bursts of light.

Those people that are underneath it, will experience an intense shock wave and a deafening sonic boom that will cause buildings to shake.

Once the fireball stops burning, knows as "dark flight", pieces continue to fall, reaching terminal velocity.

A meteor of this size could have been somewhere in the range of a meter up to 15 meters in diameter when it first entered the atmosphere, weighing 1000 kg to 10,000 kg.

After it burns and explodes into thousands of pieces, the amount of debris that falls can be in the range of 1/10th of the initial mass, in this case, up to 100kg to 1000 kg. The pieces that fall to the earth are now known as "meteorites." They will disperse over an oval shaped area in the range of 10 to 25 kms long, by 4 to 8 kms wide. The next thing to do... COLLECT SPACE ROCKS!

Sound travels 343m/s. It took somewhere around 15 to 30 seconds (depending on who reported it) for the shockwave to reach earth. That puts the observer 5-10km below the passing fireball. Or about the height of a passing airliner which cruises at say 1000km/h max.

This fireball "cruised" by at an average speed of 54,000 km/h. Just to put that into another perspective, the circumference of the earth is about 40,000 kms. If the fireball could magically race itself around the earth, it would come in at around 45 mins per lap. Mind staggering numbers

I'll push my own glasses up my nose now

Small hobby of mine.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • evsgjamm wrote:
    Sorry for the double post, but there were two threads on it so I obliged them both.

here are the facts about meteors of this caliber:

Enter the atmosphere at 60-80 kms altitude at velocities of ~ 20-30 km/s.

They burn through the atmosphere, heating up from the intense pressures from the compacting atomsphere (due to friction). These pressures are so intense they cause the rock to melt and burn, hence the light.

They slow down as they near the Earth's surface to speeds of 6-8 km/s, at approximately 10-20 kms above the surface. During this burning, called "light flight" the meteor undergoes such intense pressures, it explodes, sometimes several times, as seen by intense bursts of light.

Those people that are underneath it, will experience an intense shock wave and a deafening sonic boom that will cause buildings to shake.

Once the fireball stops burning, knows as "dark flight", pieces continue to fall, reaching terminal velocity.

A meteor of this size could have been somewhere in the range of a meter up to 15 meters in diameter when it first entered the atmosphere, weighing 1000 kg to 10,000 kg.

After it burns and explodes into thousands of pieces, the amount of debris that falls can be in the range of 1/10th of the initial mass, in this case, up to 100kg to 1000 kg. The pieces that fall to the earth are now known as "meteorites." They will disperse over an oval shaped area in the range of 10 to 25 kms long, by 4 to 8 kms wide. The next thing to do... COLLECT SPACE ROCKS!

Sound travels 343m/s. It took somewhere around 15 to 30 seconds (depending on who reported it) for the shockwave to reach earth. That puts the observer 5-10km below the passing fireball. Or about the height of a passing airliner which cruises at say 1000km/h max.

This fireball "cruised" by at an average speed of 54,000 km/h. Just to put that into another perspective, the circumference of the earth is about 40,000 kms. If the fireball could magically race itself around the earth, it would come in at around 45 mins per lap. Mind staggering numbers

I'll push my own glasses up my nose now

Small hobby of mine.

:shock: awesome! thanks for sharing. Very interesitng stuff indeed.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)