Chicago With Kids

dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Hi,

I've checked out a couple of the Chicago tips threads/links and am excited to partake in some of the suggestions.

Given that the Wrigley show happens in the summer, however, I am thinking about making this a family vacation, and I imagine that perhaps there are other travelers who might be doing the same.

So, I figured that I would start a thread for those making the trek to Chicago with the kids, asking for some tips on places to see and things to do that might be fun for the whole family (Shedd Aquarium? Field Museum? etc.).

Also, some parents might like a day out/night out without the kids -- this may or may not include the concert -- so any tips on babysitters might be helpful. Maybe even one of you is an experienced sitter or has a family member or friend who is.

I'll start. My personal situation is as follows: My wife and I have always wanted to see Chicago, and the announcement of this concert seemed like the perfect opportunity to do so. If we turn this into a family vacation, our daughter will be 3 years and 3 months old, and our son will be 7 months old in July.

What are some fun things to do that are appropriate for those ages? (Granted: the seven-month-old will likely be strapped to mommy or daddy, but suggestions are still welcome for him.)

One Chicago stop that has always been on my list of places to visit is the Art Institute. While my babygirl did well during a recent trip to the American Museum of Natural History (excluding a meltdown during the spaceshow!), I don't think that she'll dig an art museum yet. I could be wrong -- she does have some art in her room (Marc Tetro's "Pongo," Ames Bros. Boston II 2006 and a few other prints) -- but this might be an occasion for a sitter.

Other occasions for a sitter would be a grown-up dinner date with the wife somewhere (especially given some of the great suggestions I've seen here and elsewhere) and perhaps the night of the show if my wife decides to go.

Do you know of any services or have any personal recommendations that you would make for an experienced sitter that would be comfortable providing care for an obstinate, headstrong toddler and a so-far not-too-fussy baby?

Let me know -- either PM or here.

Other parents: If you're traveling to Chicago with the family and have different aged kids and other questions, post them here. Every bit helps.

Thanks in advance for any responses/recommendations.

All the best,
dankind
I SAW PEARL JAM
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,354
    My daughter is 5 now and we've taken many visits to Chicago. Some fun things she has enjoyed over the years:

Shedd's
    Childrens museum at Navy Pier
    Boat tour
    Museum of Natural History
    Field Museum

I think at the ages you mentioned, the Navy Pier childrens museum and some of the other stuff out there... carousel, etc. would be the top choice on your list. Second is Shedds. Great for the kids and great for the adults.

After that I would think about a boat tour (if you think they'd like that sort of thing).

And I gotta ask...does you daughter have/like American Girl dolls? If so, the store is fun for them and their restaurant is a blast for the kids and actually not bad food for the adults.

Museum of Science and Industry is great, but with the ages of your kids it won't be as good and it is HUGE.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835

Well, now I know who won't be getting my extra if the wife decides to stay in the hotel with the kids that night.

:P
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    My daughter is 5 now and we've taken many visits to Chicago. Some fun things she has enjoyed over the years:

Shedd's
    Childrens museum at Navy Pier
    Boat tour
    Museum of Natural History
    Field Museum

I think at the ages you mentioned, the Navy Pier childrens museum and some of the other stuff out there... carousel, etc. would be the top choice on your list. Second is Shedds. Great for the kids and great for the adults.

After that I would think about a boat tour (if you think they'd like that sort of thing).

And I gotta ask...does you daughter have/like American Girl dolls? If so, the store is fun for them and their restaurant is a blast for the kids and actually not bad food for the adults.

Museum of Science and Industry is great, but with the ages of your kids it won't be as good and it is HUGE.

Thanks, man. I have managed to keep my babygirl totally unaware of American Girl so far. If she suddenly becomes aware by then, I'll suck it up and take her.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    don't forget the zoo.

i can be hired to babysit....but my rates are pretty steep
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    if you don't mind driving to the burbs, we have a lego land out here.

beach is always fun

baseball game at the cell
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    81 wrote:

beach is always fun

Legoland is not that impressive. I took my boys and they were less than amused with it. Definitely not worth the money you spend to get in there.
    Thanks, 81.

My babygirl actually loves going to baseball games. She's been to Fenway twice so far, and she asks to go all the time. The Saturday game is actually at a decent time for her, too. Starts after her nap and over before bedtime. Hmm... something to consider, for sure.

As per your babysitting rates and availability, you would need some stellar references, sir, after the shit I've seen here. :lol::lol::lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    81 wrote:

beach is always fun

Legoland is not that impressive. I took my boys and they were less than amused with it. Definitely not worth the money you spend to get in there.

i agree....

i've heard reports of kids loving it. individual results may vary
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Posts: 3,508
    dankind wrote:
    Thanks, 81.

My babygirl actually loves going to baseball games. She's been to Fenway twice so far, and she asks to go all the time. The Saturday game is actually at a decent time for her, too. Starts after her nap and over before bedtime. Hmm... something to consider, for sure.

As per your babysitting rates and availability, you would need some stellar references, sir, after the shit I've seen here. :lol::lol::lol:
    I'll vouch for him :wave:
    dankind wrote:
    Thanks, 81.

i can be responsible. :lol:

my rate is 50 per hour and a case of beer, which in the chicago market is very reasonalbe. 2 hour hour maximum.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    dankind wrote:
    Thanks, 81.

I said "stellar" references, Truck. :P
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    dankind wrote:

Well, now I know who won't be getting my extra if the wife decides to stay in the hotel with the kids that night.

:P

:lol: Kids Love Dogs
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Kohl's Children Museum http://www.kohlchildrensmuseum.org/visit
    Lincoln Park Zoo (it's free!)
    Grant Park
    Milennium Park
    The Architecture tour is really cool - they probably won't care about the actual architecture, but it's fun being on a boat through the city :D
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    81 wrote:
    dankind wrote:
    Thanks, 81.

i can be responsible. :lol:

my rate is 50 per hour and a case of beer, which in the chicago market is very reasonalbe. 2 hour hour maximum.

Select, Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V to Craigslist Chicago.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Thank me later.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind wrote:
    dankind wrote:
    Thanks, 81.

I said "stellar" references, Truck. :P

oh snap. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Grant Park
    Milennium Park
    The Architecture tour is really cool - they probably won't care about the actual architecture, but it's fun being on a boat through the city :D

ROCK! Thanks, mamasan!

Did I mention that my wife and babygirl also love pierogies?

:corn:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    dankind wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Grant Park
    Milennium Park

ROCK! Thanks, mamasan!

:thumbup:

Oooh!! Haha well in that case you're gonna want to go a little north in Chicago to the Old Warsaw Buffet: http://www.old-warsaw-buffet.com/. Highly dense Polish area...I used to work over there and we'd go at least once a month. AWESOME pierogis!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    dankind wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Grant Park
    Milennium Park

ROCK! Thanks, mamasan!

:thumbup:

Oooh!! Haha well in that case you're gonna want to go a little north in Chicago to the Old Warsaw Buffet: http://www.old-warsaw-buffet.com/. Highly dense Polish area...I used to work over there and we'd go at least once a month. AWESOME pierogis!

Damn you mentioning pierogis!!! Now I want some. :fp:
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,354
    81 wrote:

beach is always fun

Legoland is way too expensive for what it is. Not much there really.

As for the zoo, you are right. Brookfield is pretty good. Lincoln park is ok, but I wouldn't go out of my way.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Legoland is way too expensive for what it is. Not much there really.

As for the zoo, you are right. Brookfield is pretty good. Lincoln park is ok, but I wouldn't go out of my way.

Good to know. FREE is appealing RE: Lincoln Park Zoo. I don't know whether it will be out of our way, though.

Is the Downtown/Loop area the best place to stay with kids?

For my first trip to D.C., in which the babygirl and I tagged along on the wife's business trip, her company put us up in Georgetown, which, while it was a decent enough neighborhood (too decent, really), folks there looked like they had never seen a child. I did get two rad pictures (day and night) of the kiddo at the bottom of The Exorcist steps, though.

The next time we stayed in a more family-friendly area , near Dupont Circle.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Garret's Popcorn;
    I have recently become a fan of
    Chicago-style popcorn.

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • dankind wrote:

Smart
    Dru_Cortez wrote:
    Garret's Popcorn;
    I have recently become a fan of
    Chicago-style popcorn.

Cheers.

Looks like I can get this popcorn at Penn Station here.
    I SAW PEARL JAM