Six Feet Under

NashvillePJfanNashvillePJfan Posts: 594
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Any fans of this show out there?

A couple years ago I bought this series on DVD but it just sat on my bookshelf. After my father died this past Christmas I decided to make time to watch it, as I knew the premise was generally about death and dying.

I just finished watching all 63 episodes and am emotionally wiped out. What a beautiful show. And what a great message about the preciousness of life.

The final montage that shows the remaining characters' futures and deaths -- well, a lot has been said and all I can add is that the superlatives are well-deserved.

Shout out to the show makers for the scene where Nate is grieving Kurt Cobain to "All Apologies."
I gather speed . . . Great Western Forum - Jul 13, 1998; Great Western Forum - Jul 14, 1998; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 02, 2003; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 03, 2003; Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003; Santa Barbara County Bowl - Oct 28, 2003; Gorge Amphitheatre - Sep 01, 2005; Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006; The Forum - Jul 09, 2006; Aloha Stadium - Dec 09, 2006; Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008; United Center - Aug 23, 2009
United Center - Aug 24, 2009; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Indiana -May 07, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 20, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010
EV Solo 2008: LA1, Boston 1, DC1
EV Colo 2009: Nashville 1&2
Dead Man Walking: The Concert: March 29, 1998
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    One of my fav shows!!

I really need to watch them all again!
  • its in the conversation of best tv shows of all time no doubt. I found it stunning a tv series about death could be so inspiring and life affirming. To me the entire purpose of the show was to suggest you dont have much time on earth, and you need to get living before its too late. The final 6 minutes of the show were among the best ive ever seen. That shot of nate in the rear view as claire drives away gave me goosebumps. You'd be hard pressed to find a better written or acted show.
  • its in the conversation of best tv shows of all time no doubt. I found it stunning a tv series about death could be so inspiring and life affirming. To me the entire purpose of the show was to suggest you dont have much time on earth, and you need to get living before its too late. The final 6 minutes of the show were among the best ive ever seen. That shot of nate in the rear view as claire drives away gave me goosebumps. You'd be hard pressed to find a better written or acted show.

I feel the same way. It's message was seize the day.
    I gather speed . . . Great Western Forum - Jul 13, 1998; Great Western Forum - Jul 14, 1998; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 02, 2003; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 03, 2003; Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003; Santa Barbara County Bowl - Oct 28, 2003; Gorge Amphitheatre - Sep 01, 2005; Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006; The Forum - Jul 09, 2006; Aloha Stadium - Dec 09, 2006; Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008; United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    United Center - Aug 24, 2009; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Indiana -May 07, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 20, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Sorry about your dad, and the parallels...there've been some in mine as well. And I hope that you, like I, have found some comfort in it.

This is probably my favorite show ever.

Probably my favorite scene/take on life (and death), ever.

Nathaniel Sr.: You aren't even grateful, are you?

David: Grateful? For the worst fucking experience of my life?

Nathaniel Sr: You hang onto your pain like it means something, like it's worth something. Well, let me tell ya, it's not worth shit. Let it go. Infinite possibilities, and all he can do is whine.

David: Well, what am I supposed to do?

Nathaniel Sr.: What do you think? You can do anything, you lucky bastard, you're alive! What's a little pain compared to that?

David: It can't be that simple.

Nathaniel Sr.: [putting his arm around David and pulling him closer] What if it is?

(I think it is.)
  • Best show ever on TV hands down. I cried like a baby during the series finale...
    I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am...David Byrne, Talking Heads

Regal Theater, 1994--most amazing night ever.
  • the entire final episode was pretty amazing. I really was blown away by the scene when she wakes up and see's nate there, and he says, "wake up, come on, get up, everyones waiting". And the scene where she takes her families picture as she is leaving and nate whispers in her ear "you cant take a picture of this its already gone".

All you can think is, wow....

Both scenes are subtle and almost seem like insignificant and inconsquencetial scenes and moments, but to me those two lines sum up the show and essential life lessons.

And what about some love for Frances Conroy. Such a strange character, but in the final season, some of those scenes where she is greiving and just not present and "there" are astounding.

The overall arc of the show was incredible. What happened to Lisa, that scene digging the grave with all the family there.

This show made me appreciate life and changed my life. Its a reminder, im wasting my life. Life is to be lived fully and deeply.
  • hedonist wrote:
    Sorry about your dad, and the parallels...there've been some in mine as well. And I hope that you, like I, have found some comfort in it.

Nathaniel Sr: You hang onto your pain like it means something, like it's worth something. Well, let me tell ya, it's not worth shit. Let it go. Infinite possibilities, and all he can do is whine.

Nathaniel Sr.: What do you think? You can do anything, you lucky bastard, you're alive! What's a little pain compared to that?

Nathaniel Sr.: [putting his arm around David and pulling him closer] What if it is?

(I think it is.)

jesus. I forgot about that scene. Intense.
  • i wish there were more shows like this, the underlying theme of it, as pointed out above is to seize the day. While not as epic as SFU, Scrubs seemed to be about similar things. As much as I think BB, Mad Men, and the like are amazing shows, none have the same theme or morals as SFU did.

I think these types of shows are essential and important. For me, thats what art is all about. Or should be about.
  • plus I also forgot they essentially answer the question thats plagued humans from the beginning of time. Why do people die. Why is their death. Whats the point of death.

Nate says "To make life important. None of us know how long we've got. Which is why we have to make each day matter."
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    DarbyCrash wrote:
    Best show ever on TV hands down. I cried like a baby during the series finale...

Couldn't. Agree. More!
  • Now I have that Sia song in my head and an overwhelming desire to watch the whole series again. ;)
    I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am...David Byrne, Talking Heads

Regal Theater, 1994--most amazing night ever.
  • Beautiful, brilliant show. Ah! I want to go buy the whole series!
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,478
    I loved this show too, definitely one of my favourites. It's one of those shows where they got very nearly everything right; the cast, the writing, the music they used, even the lifespan (so many shows go on for too long and suffer a decline in quality). And of course the finale was perfect.

They recently aired the entire series again here in Australia with an episode every weekday and a 5-episode encore on the weekend. My wife had never seen it so it gave me the chance to watch them all again.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • hedonist wrote:

(I think it is.)

David is by far my favorite character.
  • goldrush wrote:
    I loved this show too, definitely one of my favourites. It's one of those shows where they got very nearly everything right; the cast, the writing, the music they used, even the lifespan (so many shows go on for too long and suffer a decline in quality). And of course the finale was perfect.

They recently aired the entire series again here in Australia with an episode every weekday and a 5-episode encore on the weekend. My wife had never seen it so it gave me the chance to watch them all again.

What did your wife think?
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,478
    goldrush wrote:

What did your wife think?
    She loved it too. She'd always wanted to see it but never had the chance before. She recognized most of the actors from newer roles (Dexter, Dirty Sexy Money, The Office etc) so she enjoyed seeing them in different roles when they were younger.

The only thing she didn't like was all of the "noisy kissing"! :lol:
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I enjoyed the first two seasons then it lost me.
  • I enjoyed the first two seasons then it lost me.

Funny, it took until season three for things to really take off for me. Season Five admittedly was heavy and painful, especially the last four or five episodes . . . but it was a heavy show.