Places to eat and drink etc in Chicago, by a Chicagoan

DarbyCrashDarbyCrash Posts: 223
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I apologize if a thread like this already exists, but more than a few people have private messaged me about where to eat and drink in Chicago after I posted that CTA deal. There are obviously a ton of places and I hope other people on this board will add to the following list, but I thought I would share a few of my favorites:

Kuma's Corner: burgers named after metal bands, metal music playing super loud and lots of eye candy. Plus the burgers are OUTSTANDING. There are two, and neither are very far from Wrigley (http://www.kumascorner.com/)

Irazu: Costa Rican food that will blow your mind. Try the oatmeal shake...I promise, it's awesome. This place is a favorite among my group of friends, we go there all the time. http://www.irazuchicago.com/

Folklore Argentine Grill: a little on the pricey side but not crazy. The steak is amazing and it's a cute dimly lit place. Great for dates. It's also in the Wicker Park neighborhood which for me is waaaaay better than downtown and Wrigleyville. Lots of little shops, tons of cafes, many restaurants and both dive bars and classier places. The residents are for the most part, awesome and it's really easy to get around especially on the CTA.
http://folklorechicago.com/

Goldstar Bar: one of my favorite old haunts. It's a hole in the wall place (they use lawn chairs sometimes) but the atmosphere is fun and the juke box is loaded with fun rock and punk. Lots of locals go there so you are bound to meet people who will tell you other cool places to go. It's right by Folklore.
http://www.goldstarbar.com/

Delilah's: another old favorite, Monday nights are punk rock night but any night is filled with local weirdos. And they have over 400 different kinds of whiskey. http://www.delilahschicago.com/

The Map Room: so many different kinds of beer your head will spin. http://maproom.com/

The Neo-Futurarium: they have a play called Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind which is 30 plays in 60 minutes. It changes weekly. It is probably my favorite thing to do in Chicago. It only plays on the weekends and the price varies (you roll dice to see how much your admission is). I would suggest getting there early as it sells out fast. I usually wait in line. Check the site for more specific info: http://www.neofuturists.org/

The Art Institute: obviously I will suggest this as I work there...but honestly, if you haven't been already you should go. The new Modern Wing is pretty great too. http://www.artic.edu/
I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am...David Byrne, Talking Heads

Regal Theater, 1994--most amazing night ever.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• thanks!
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right
  • No problem!

• DarbyCrash wrote:
    Irazu: Costa Rican food that will blow your mind. Try the oatmeal shake...I promise, it's awesome. This place is a favorite among my group of friends, we go there all the time. http://www.irazuchicago.com/

My buddy lives right down the street from Irazu so I have been there many times. That place is so good.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Delilah's is a fave hangout for me....does that make me and my friends weirdos?!

At any rate...their whiskey selection is outta this world.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • thank you!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Mamasan23 wrote:
    Delilah's is a fave hangout for me....does that make me and my friends weirdos?!

No no, I am included in that group of weirdos. Just a show of affection. ;)

DarbyCrash wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

:mrgreen:

Well to be fair, my friends are weirdos :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    My husband and I were in Chicago last week for the Sound Garden show. We had the BEST pizza from a tiny little joint called The Pie Hole. It is near the Majestic Hotel where we stayed, which I think is pretty close to Wrigley too. The only thing...... there was no beer.

We have only been to Chicago a few times in our lives - 5 times I think. 2 times were for PJ. 1 for Sound Garden. 1 for bar exam., and 1 to visit friends. 6th time will be PJ. We live at the opposite end of the state. Anyway, twice we have tried the "famous" pizza place. What is the name? It is deep dish pizza. Neither one of us really liked it. After the first time we thought we should give it a second try because of all of the publicity of how great it is. We still didn't like it. But the Pie Hole hit the spot for us.

And thanks Darby Crash for the info. I copied and pasted into a document and put it into a folder titled Chicago-PJ.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Mamasan23 wrote:
    whiskey selection is outta this world.

The best in the city.

http://dukeofperth.com/

And only mere blocks from Wrigley.
    Nice shirt.
  • McDonalds
    Across the street from Wrigley
    I recommend the "Big Mac"
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Thanks for the info. It's crazy but I've never been to Chicago. Ever. So I'm really excited and want to make a vacation out of it.
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    If you have access to a car or the blue line train, go to Smoque BBQ. You will thank me for it later.
  • a friend of mine from college who lived there for five years swears by Lazo's Tacos in the Logan Square area.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • a friend of mine from college who lived there for five years swears by Lazo's Tacos in the Logan Square area.

I concur, Lazo's is awesome...and open all night ;)

• Mamasan23 wrote:
    DarbyCrash wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

:mrgreen:

Well to be fair, my friends are weirdos :lol:

HA! I knew it! :D

• My husband and I were in Chicago last week for the Sound Garden show. We had the BEST pizza from a tiny little joint called The Pie Hole. It is near the Majestic Hotel where we stayed, which I think is pretty close to Wrigley too. The only thing...... there was no beer.

We have only been to Chicago a few times in our lives - 5 times I think. 2 times were for PJ. 1 for Sound Garden. 1 for bar exam., and 1 to visit friends. 6th time will be PJ. We live at the opposite end of the state. Anyway, twice we have tried the "famous" pizza place. What is the name? It is deep dish pizza. Neither one of us really liked it. After the first time we thought we should give it a second try because of all of the publicity of how great it is. We still didn't like it. But the Pie Hole hit the spot for us.

And thanks Darby Crash for the info. I copied and pasted into a document and put it into a folder titled Chicago-PJ.

No prob, and I haven't been to the Pie Hole yet...Gino's East is overrated, I wonder if that's where you went the first time? That or Pizzeria Uno (which is not bad but not the best either).

DarbyCrash wrote:
    My husband and I were in Chicago last week for the Sound Garden show. We had the BEST pizza from a tiny little joint called The Pie Hole. It is near the Majestic Hotel where we stayed, which I think is pretty close to Wrigley too. The only thing...... there was no beer.

No prob, and I haven't been to the Pie Hole yet...Gino's East is overrated, I wonder if that's where you went the first time? That or Pizzeria Uno (which is not bad but not the best either).

I'm thinking it was Gino's. It seemed like it was pretty close to the Hyatt where we stayed (the PJ hotel).
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • McDonalds
    Across the street from Wrigley
    I recommend the "Big Mac"

Is there free wifi?
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right
  • http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... CNmlgSj1jQ

Just watch the video.
    I was there last night, with my sore teeth. :lol::lol::lol:

This place is FUCKING AWESOME!!!
  • "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Take me piece by piece.....
  • "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
  • DarbyCrashDarbyCrash Posts: 223
    edited February 2013
    Sorry for the double
    Post edited by DarbyCrash on

• DarbyCrash wrote:

I've been there, my husband used to work at the ice sculpting place right across the street. Great steaks!
    Nice.
    :P
    If I worked across the street from that joint...
    I would weigh 450lbs!
    :lol:
  • Mamasan23 wrote:

Awesome, so they carry Seagrams 7?
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    Mamasan23 wrote:

:lol:
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    Just got my tickets to Alinea - how can that not be on your list?

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• DarbyCrashDarbyCrash Posts: 223

Because it's super expensive and I spent all my money on PJ tickets. :P

• IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    DarbyCrash wrote:

Because it's super expensive and I spent all my money on PJ tickets. :P

Fair enough! - don't have my PJ tickets yet - not sure which one of these is going to cost me more though I'm thinking it will be Alinea. :shock:

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

Mamasan23 wrote:

:fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: