Options

Highway F-ing Robbery!

donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I was in a grocery store last month when I had a hypoglycemic moment! I've had a few in my life,but nothing like this one. I couldn't get to the candy isle quick enough.My vision was blurred,and I couldn't move.I don't remember much. Not even the Ambulance ride to the Hospital. Hell,I didn't even know my name.Mind You,The Hospital is two miles away.Here's the bad part.I have no Insurance.This is my bill just for the ride.
The cost for them to show up is 1,450.00
mileage 63.96
Disposable linen20.26, Personal care suplies?? 9.69
Glucometer106.53, DefibElectrodes 68.27
Pulse Oximetry (one of those finger clip's 64.83
Frigg'in Oxygen 132.87 ( For f-ing air)
O2 supplies 21.88, IV drip lines 82.93
For a grand Total of 2,022.12
Can't wait for the Hospital Bill.( Put Me in a Cab!) :x
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    :shock:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    :shock: :o :shock: :o

I was the purchasing/inventory manager at a clinic, I know how much that stuff costs...and just :shock:

I really hope you are okay Donna, that's the most important thing!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    :shock: :o :shock: :o

I was the purchasing/inventory manager at a clinic, I know how much that stuff costs...and just :shock:

I really hope you are okay Donna, that's the most important thing!
    I'll probably have a heart atack when the next bill come's; The fire dept. was 250.00.Take me out back and shoot me!
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    Yeah, when I had a mountain bike accident a few years ago. Ambulance, ER (fluid, stitches, labs, meds), radiology for scans to make sure I didn't have internal bleeding...
    If I didn't have insurance, it would have cost me well over $10,000
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Holy crap!

This is the real problem with the US healthcare system. Getting charged $132 for oxygen???
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    Holy crap!

This is the real problem with the US healthcare system. Getting charged $132 for oxygen???

Yah! WTF!!
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    none of that stuff costs more than pennies (well most of it)
    ridiculous.
    i understand that part of the charges are for salaries and equipment maintenance
    even so....way far out of line
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    OH and yes..most importantly..I hope you're feeling better :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    StillHere wrote:
    ridiculous.
    i understand that part of the charges are for salaries and equipment maintenance

Really glad you're okay, Donna.

One thing... part of the problem here is the move toward disposable equipment, which is expensive (the pulse oximeter monitor and the ECG cables). When I worked on an ambulance, and later in emergency departments, that equipment was reusable but not always cleaned as well as it could be.

Also, the other part is the cost of adhering to regulations, everything from the cost of maintaining EMT certification or paramedic licensure (employers may cover the cost of annual required training, and that cost is passed on). And then there are all of the regulations around the maintenance and daily testing of the ECG monitor, the routine testing of the integrity of the O2 tanks, and the costs associated with having to dispose of stuff that's out of date, even when it's sterile.

This is not at all meant to justify that cost, but an explanation of what contributes to the cost.

What bothers me most about your story is that you are placed in the position of having to cover all of this out of pocket. There should be a scale for the under- or uninsured to make sure their costs are within reason.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    StillHere wrote:
    ridiculous.

Really glad you're okay, Donna.

One thing... part of the problem here is the move toward disposable equipment, which is expensive (the pulse oximeter monitor and the ECG cables). When I worked on an ambulance, and later in emergency departments, that equipment was reusable but not always cleaned as well as it could be.

Also, the other part is the cost of adhering to regulations, everything from the cost of maintaining EMT certification or paramedic licensure (employers may cover the cost of annual required training, and that cost is passed on). And then there are all of the regulations around the maintenance and daily testing of the ECG monitor, the routine testing of the integrity of the O2 tanks, and the costs associated with having to dispose of stuff that's out of date, even when it's sterile.

This is not at all meant to justify that cost, but an explanation of what contributes to the cost.

What bothers me most about your story is that you are placed in the position of having to cover all of this out of pocket. There should be a scale for the under- or uninsured to make sure their costs are within reason.
    In God we trust be our luck. So be the powers of passing the buck.
  • Options
    Thanks for your well wishes. I've been afraid of going to grocery stores lately. And that,besides work is my only outing.I keep Trail Mix on hand.It wasn't so much the shock of the cost's.But my way of bringing attention to the price we pay for no health Ins. We never think it could happen to us,But when it does, It can be overwhelming and expensive.And again Thank You!
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    When I had my trauma injury my Medical Bills were over $500,000. But that included a Medivac helicopter ride, 6 days in the ICU an emergency surgery and tons of other stuff along with a 10 day stay.

My last two back surgeries were over $60,000 a piece. The first one was more expensive because I stayed in the hosp longer. It is outrageous how much medical care is. Sorry for you situation. Maybe you can contact the Hospital and see if they can help you based on your income. Here in Ohio it's called HCAP so I would look that route if you can not pay it.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    DURP wrote:
    When I had my trauma injury my Medical Bills were over $500,000. But that included a Medivac helicopter ride, 6 days in the ICU an emergency surgery and tons of other stuff along with a 10 day stay.

My last two back surgeries were over $60,000 a piece. The first one was more expensive because I stayed in the hosp longer. It is outrageous how much medical care is. Sorry for you situation. Maybe you can contact the Hospital and see if they can help you based on your income. Here in Ohio it's called HCAP so I would look that route if you can not pay it.
    Did they expect you to pay that? or did you have Ins.?
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    donnaruhl wrote:
    DURP wrote:

Did they expect you to pay that? or did you have Ins.?

My trauma injury happened on the job so workers comp handle that.

My two surgeries are covered by the Veterans Administration.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    Don't forget the $1.75 for the candy bar.

Note to self - purchase some sort of health insurance if crossing the border.