I'M OPEN???? Hartford...

murphINbostonmurphINboston Posts: 37
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I was there last night. Section 100 PV Row X, seat 133. My 22nd show since 1992, my guest's first show...he was blown away. I was excited to see many young fans (teens) at the show, I think PJ is really starting to reach another generation. IMO very good show, crowd had great energy despite crappy weather, good sing-a-longs, "we belong together" tag, "Inside Job" was my personal highlight, and of course "I'm Open".

As most of us know, last night was the first time "I'm Open" was played by the band live. Very exciting for many of us. But, I can't help to think that it was not exactly planned. In my opinion, I think it was totally improv'd. I think Ed was trying to remember how to play UNTITLED "Got a car...got some gas..." but he forgot how it went. Ed said as much, "I'm trying to remember how to play a song, but I forget how..." or something to that effect.

Anybody else think UNTITLED was the intention that turned into an exciting and extremely rare improv? Anybody have a copy of the set list? Just wondering what peoples insights are.

See you in Boston!!!!
This one goes to 11...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• trebmaltrebmal Posts: 102
    I was there last night. Section 100 PV Row X, seat 133. My 22nd show since 1992, my guest's first show...he was blown away. I was excited to see many young fans (teens) at the show, I think PJ is really starting to reach another generation. IMO very good show, crowd had great energy despite crappy weather, good sing-a-longs, "we belong together" tag, "Inside Job" was my personal highlight, and of course "I'm Open".

As most of us know, last night was the first time "I'm Open" was played by the band live. Very exciting for many of us. But, I can't help to think that it was not exactly planned. In my opinion, I think it was totally improv'd. I think Ed was trying to remember how to play UNTITLED "Got a car...got some gas..." but he forgot how it went. Ed said as much, "I'm trying to remember how to play a song, but I forget how..." or something to that effect.

Anybody else think UNTITLED was the intention that turned into an exciting and extremely rare improv? Anybody have a copy of the set list? Just wondering what peoples insights are.

See you in Boston!!!!

I was so thinking UNTITLED TOO!! Either that or I'm open and then when he stopped and continued on I was still happy. Such an amazing set last night, I was in section 200 row S but it was still amazing! Yeah! Boston's next!
    9.15.98, 8.29.00, 8.30.00, 7.02.03, 7.03.03, 7.11.03 Mansfield, MA | 9.28.04, 9.29.04 Boston, MA, 5.12.06 Albany, NY | 5.13.06 Hartford, CT | 5.24, 5.25.06 Boston, MA | 8.05.07 Chicago, IL (lolla) | 6.27.08 Hartford, CT | 6.28, 6.30.08 Mansfield, MA | 10.4.09 Austin, TX (ACL), 10.30 | 10.31.09, Philadelphia, PA 5.17.10 Boston, MA, 10.15 | 10.16.2013 Worcester, MA, 10.25.13 Hartford, CT, 10.16.14 Detroit, MI, 4.18.16 Hampton, VA, 5.1 | 5.2.16 NYC, 8.5 | 8.7.16 Boston, MA, 7.3.18 Kraków, PL | 8.8 - 8.10.18 Seattle, WA | 8.13.18 Missoula, MT | 8.18.18 Chicago, IL | 9.2 - 9.4.18 Boston, MA | 9.18.21 Asbury Park, NJ | 9.1.22 Québec City, CAN | 9.3.22 Ottawa, CAN
  • marc34marc34 Posts: 221
    I agree....I think he was going for untitled and stumbled his way into Im open...I honestly thought it was the low point of the evening
    Hartford 96
    Mansfield 98 x 2
    Mansfield 00 x2
    Mansfield 03 x 3
    Boston 04 VFC x 2
    Hartford 06
    Boston 06 x 2
    Hartford 08
    Mansfield 08 x 2
    EV Boston 08 x 2
    Hartford 10
    Boston 10
    EV Providence 11
    EV Boston 11
    EV Hartford 11
    Worcester 13 x 2
    Hartford 13
    Buffalo 13
    Baltimore 13
    Fenway 2016 x 2
    Hot Stove 2017
    Fenway 2018 x 2
  • well i didn't hear it but I'm Open was soundchecked so it was probably planned...

incredible.

i need to hear it :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Yah, I thought it was a funny show. First set was awesome. Then the "I'm Open" hiccup led into a brief and a bit disjointed first encore. Ed mentioned that Mike thought "the first encore was too short." Basically they came out on fire, had a little lull in the middle, and re-raised the energy for the final encore.

To me all PJ shows are border-line religious experiences, and all of them are excellent, but this was not IN MY OPINION, their best show, albeit still excellent.

The funniest part about it for me was the guy I brought with me. He is a big Dead fan who told me before the show, "I've never seen a band live that came into existence after 1980. But I'm very excited." Needless to say, he was blown away by the experience and genuinely felt that PJ was awesome and that he would DEFINITELY go again.

I think this just speaks to how great Pearl Jam is. In my opinion a "great but not the greatest I've seen show" was pretty much mind-blowing for a Dead-head who really appreciates the live music experience.
    This one goes to 11...
  • murphyJammermurphyJammer Posts: 120
    I almost shit myself when I saw that on the setlist. Here's to hope.
    "Bombs dropping down. Please forgive our hometown"
  • hey, I was in your row, 136 & 137. great show.
  • hey, I was in your row, 136 & 137. great show.

I was the guy in the green jacket...were you with your buddy or your girl?
    This one goes to 11...
  • 4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,224
    I thought Untitled was coming right before RVM. You notice Ed started using his WorldWideSuicide "toy" during RVM. That might have been the best RVM I have ever heard.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• 4Powers20 wrote:
    I thought Untitled was coming right before RVM. You notice Ed started using his WorldWideSuicide "toy" during RVM. That might have been the best RVM I have ever heard.

They really ripped RVM!!!
    This one goes to 11...
  • 25min2go25min2go Posts: 13
    I play guitar and I was so calling Untitled when Eddie said he was trying to 'remeber how to play'. I don't think he planed to do Im open even if they did sound check it. I believe he just couldn't remember Untitled ( the wine probably helped with that) so he fell back on something in the same key. By sound checking with Im open obviously he could recall how to play that one. Either way, great moment.
    Boston MA 04, Ed Sullivan Theater NY 06, Hartford CT 06, *Hartford CT 08, Philly PA 2009, Hartford CT 10, Boston MA 10, Worcester MA 13, Hartford CT 13, St Paul 14, Quebec City CN 16, Boston MA (5 and 7) 2016

EV: Santa Cruz CA April 08, Montreal August 08,Balt MD 08, Providence RI 11, Hartford CT 11
  • Most of the time "Untitled" comes before MFC, it's like a given that they always play them back to back. It's Ed's little intro before "MFC", which I think probably started off as an improv but when they decided to put it on "Live On Two Legs" they needed to give it a name. Thus, the birth of an "official" song. I play guitar and I can usually pick up on when something is deliberate and something was just an improv, originally I thought it was an improv cuz Ed is known to do those often, but when I heard the words "I'm Open" I realized that it was "that little song from 'No Code'." Plus I know the chords for both songs and they are very different. Plus, murphyJammer said he saw the setlist and it was on there, I guess you can't get more deliberate than that.

P.S. 4Powers20, that little "toy" that Ed uses on "WWS", "Wishlist", and "RVM" is called an E-Bow.
    Foo4Everlong
  • I was the guy in the green jacket...were you with your buddy or your girl?

I was with a guy. We were the two quiet guys, just watching in awe of the whole show. We had 2 guys going crazy the whole show on one side, and a guy with a girl on our other side

• Anybody else think UNTITLED was the intention that turned into an exciting and extremely rare improv? Anybody have a copy of the set list? Just wondering what peoples insights are.

Ditto. We thought Ed was trying to get Untitled going before it became I'm Open.
    2008: 6/24, 6/25, 6/27
    2006: 5/14, 5/27, 5/31, 6/1
    2004: 10/1
    2003: 7/8, 7/9
    2000: 8/24, 9/2
    1998: 9/8, 9/11
    1996: 9/28, 9/29
  • They really ripped RVM!!!

Seriously. I thought RVM had become a little routine in 2003 but this version was incredibly powerful. Probably the best I've ever heard.
    2008: 6/24, 6/25, 6/27
    2006: 5/14, 5/27, 5/31, 6/1
    2004: 10/1
    2003: 7/8, 7/9
    2000: 8/24, 9/2
    1998: 9/8, 9/11
    1996: 9/28, 9/29
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Yah, I thought it was a funny show. First set was awesome. Then the "I'm Open" hiccup led into a brief and a bit disjointed first encore. Ed mentioned that Mike thought "the first encore was too short." Basically they came out on fire, had a little lull in the middle, and re-raised the energy for the final encore.

To me all PJ shows are border-line religious experiences, and all of them are excellent, but this was not IN MY OPINION, their best show, albeit still excellent.

The funniest part about it for me was the guy I brought with me. He is a big Dead fan who told me before the show, "I've never seen a band live that came into existence after 1980. But I'm very excited." Needless to say, he was blown away by the experience and genuinely felt that PJ was awesome and that he would DEFINITELY go again.

I think this just speaks to how great Pearl Jam is. In my opinion a "great but not the greatest I've seen show" was pretty much mind-blowing for a Dead-head who really appreciates the live music experience.

I love this! I was also a Dead Head in my day and now a Jammer. I think PJ is far better then the Dead ever were! I didn't think this show was too great either...crowd seemed low on energy....may have been the weather and how cold it was. The band was EXCELLENT! I Loved all the new music. I now want to get a ticket to NJ1...I can never get enough!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • I'm Open was planned, it was on band's setlist. When I first heard it I thought it was untitled and nearly shit myself when we realized it was I'm Open!!!
    "You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."- Abraham Lincoln
  • PJaddicted wrote:
    I love this! I was also a Dead Head in my day and now a Jammer. I think PJ is far better then the Dead ever were! I didn't think this show was too great either...crowd seemed low on energy....may have been the weather and how cold it was. The band was EXCELLENT! I Loved all the new music. I now want to get a ticket to NJ1...I can never get enough!

oxc

It is awesome and it is even more awesome that we are all in on something great: PEARL JAM IS THE BEST LIVE BAND IN THE WORLD!!!

And the best since peak Grateful Dead (if not better)...Not comparing styles but definitely comparing energy and coolness.
    This one goes to 11...