Options

Newcastle boot is a bit overrated

CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
edited April 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
I have finally listened to all of the 2006 boots.
I might get burned for this, but I do think the Newcastle show is a bit overrated.
I waited the whole time to get to this show ´cause on this board I kept hearing all the time how awesome and special this show was.

It´s indeed a fine show, as a matter of fact in the better end of the entire tourscale, a rockin´ and tight show, but for me it´s not better than a lot of other great great shows from the tour (San Fran shows, Gorge shows, Lisbon shows, Milan to name a few).

Actually PJ tend to play a few mistakes thru the Newcastle set. The misplaced scream in Save you is too funny!

Just my 2 cents.
Feel free to discuss...

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,096
    CharlieP wrote:
    I might get burned for this, but I do think the Newcastle show is a bit overrated.
    I waited the whole time to get to this show ´cause on this board I kept hearing all the time how awesome and special this show was.

It´s indeed a fine show, as a matter of fact in the better end of the entire tourscale, a rockin´ and tight show, but for me it´s not better than a lot of other great great shows from the tour (San Fran shows, Gorge shows, Lisbon shows, Milan to name a few).

Actually PJ tend to play a few mistakes thru the Newcastle set. The misplaced scream in Save you is too funny!

Just my 2 cents.
    Feel free to discuss...

I love the Newcastle boot -even though I wasn't there

Put it on again and listen to Masters of War and Footsteps...
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    I totally appreciate your opinion, and you're right, there were a few mistakes made by Ed and the guys, but at the end of the day, to hear the songs that were played on that night was a dream come true.
    Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I was gonna hear songs such as Undone, Red Mosquito, Alone, Crown Of Thorns (1st time in Australia) and that version of Masters Of War, in person, and especially in my hometown.
    In my opinion the boot didn't do the show justice. Everybody was having a great time and Ed was spot on when he said "This feels more like a party than a concert"
    Only a DVD can do this show the justice it deserves (hint hint) ;)
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Oz Jammer wrote:
    If there's a fans section, it'd just be these shots of people with their jaws dropped wide open in awe :)
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    It's got the best Thumbing My Way I've ever heard.
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    I think I will put on this show again (:

There´s always the chance that you didn´t pay enough attention or the setlists and shows just blend together in the end (when you listen to all these shows in a row). I will give it another chance guys.

One of the things I also liked the best was the setlist. A really good setlist that is!

It´s one of the better shows, indeed.
    But I just couldn´t see how it could top Pistoia and Milan, for instance, when I first listened to it. Maybe it will grow...

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    CharlieP wrote:

Just my 2 cents.
    Feel free to discuss...
    I totally agree. I bet it was an awesome show being there but if you know the setlist before the surprise is away while listening to it.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,349
    It's got the best Thumbing My Way I've ever heard.
    I AGREE and how about LITTLE WING i mean that set list is the shit......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    I think it's overrated too. Still a good show. Better than Sydney 2.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options
    Dercheef wrote:
    I totally agree. I bet it was an awesome show being there but if you know the setlist before the surprise is away while listening to it.

This may be true - and i think it is a little bit. Not knowing Alone or red Mosquito was gonig to come next was such a great feeling.
    But I think Newcastle lives up to being on par with any 'great' American show that is highly rated around this board.
    Having been there may exprerss a bit of bias, but thats to be expected, but the fact that this wasn't the run of the mill Australian show, the fact that Ed said, its a party and not a concert, the fact thats its well over 2.5hrs worth of concert - means I dont think its over rated - but its definatly better than average.
    Few mistakes? So what? The Pen State 03 is full of them and is held in such high regard. Mistakes make you remember that the band is playing live, and that they are full of energy. Mean everyone wins.
    - "I mean Good Charlotte are good. They just sound like someone shoved a popsical up someones ass!" Ed.

"I am ahead, I am advanced, I am the first man to borrow Stones leather pants."

Stone Gossard: Is the height of fashion. More poeple should take note, and learn from a master
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    Undone!!!!

... though wished for Fatal.... heard the soundcheck at least
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Undone!!!!

... though wished for Fatal.... heard the soundcheck at least

Multiple times :)
    Also heard them soundcheck In My Tree. God I wish that song was played
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    I AGREE and how about LITTLE WING i mean that set list is the shit......

By the stage Mike started Little Wing... the band looked exhausted. Jeff and Stone had put down their bass & guitars and started wiping their foreheads! (I know a bass is a guitar!) Anyways they heard Mike, looked at each other for a bit then picked up and joined in :p Awesome memory!
  • Options
    I think it's overrated too. Still a good show. Better than Sydney 2.

I guess I am biased toward Newcastle being a great show.. i was there, second row centre. If i was from US or somewhere else, I'm not even sure if i'd believe the hype, but i can't even comprehend the hype of it being so good just from the boot, the setlist was good, but being there in person has me one-eyed :) It was an awesome experience... when i boughtmy tickets i knew it was going to be a small show.. it lived and exceeded my expectations of an awesome night! I myself had a f#$%ing awesome night...

Sydney #2 i was tehre, but not in spirit!... stupid fuckers telling me to sit down.. i need to listen to the boot to remember even being there, and then i still can't :(
  • Options
    Oz Jammer wrote:
    I totally appreciate your opinion, and you're right, there were a few mistakes made by Ed and the guys, but at the end of the day, to hear the songs that were played on that night was a dream come true.
    Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I was gonna hear songs such as Undone, Red Mosquito, Alone, Crown Of Thorns (1st time in Australia) and that version of Masters Of War, in person, and especially in my hometown.
    In my opinion the boot didn't do the show justice. Everybody was having a great time and Ed was spot on when he said "This feels more like a party than a concert"

Mistakes make it real, playing different songs every night bring on these artistic mistakes.

All that aside... Don't say that the boot doesn't do it justice Oz! It's the one thing that helps me remember being there!! Best Pearl Jam concert experience/setlist/night of my Pearl Jam shows altogether...a video would be great. Would i be so vain if i said i also wanted my mug to appear in it too? HAHA
  • Options
    vital5 wrote:
    Would i be so vain if i said i also wanted my mug to appear in it too? HAHA

Not at all my friend........not at all :)
  • Options
    TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    CharlieP wrote:

Just my 2 cents.
    Feel free to discuss...

I agree... I only made it to one show this tour (LA 2)... and while the LA show sounded amazing that night, when I listen back to the boot I realize that it was not as good as say Sydney 3, San Fran 3, Lisbon, Pistoia. Don't get me wrong, it still was a great show (awesome Go, Once, Alive, etc.) but it doesn't transfer the magic over to CD as these other shows do. I definitely feel that the crowd can make or break a boot and if they're coming through really nicely it adds so much more to the show. Newcastle, like LA, must have been a great show to be at, but IMO not the overall best boot that everyone leads you to believe.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Options
    RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    I have to say that I have someting for this boot - mabye it´s because of the opener. Alive as an opening song - then it can´t go wrong (and it doesn´t) IMO
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • Options
    AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Newcastle was an intense experience. Sydney 3 was just a mental night. If I had to pick I'd go Sydney 3, but only just. It was a PJ weekend I'll never forget.
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • Options
    Austicman wrote:
    Newcastle was an intense experience. Sydney 3 was just a mental night. If I had to pick I'd go Sydney 3, but only just. It was a PJ weekend I'll never forget.

It was a fantastic weekend. Sydney 3 blew my brain and to be honest I was getting very worried that Newcastle was gonna be sub-par due to the fact that Sydney 3 (24 hours earlier) was close to a near perfect PJ experience.
    How wrong could I be. Newcastle was EPIC, and a completely different type of show than than Sydney 3 the night before.
    Only Pearl Jam could play 2 shows in 48 hours, both be spectacular high grade musical experiences, and both be so diverse.
    If you want an example of why Pearl Jam are one of (if not the) best band(s) in the world than you don't have to look any further than November 18th & 19th 2006