Options

MLK

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
edited January 2013 in A Moving Train
What does this day mean to you?
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    It means to me:
    1) brian is feeling like a rascal today. Thinking to stir it up a bit? :D
    2) Was this day intended to be an acknowledgement of only black/white racism? If so, Rosa Parks symbolizes this better for me.
    3) If this day is supposed to be about inequality in general, I'd like to see an annual change, a new symbolic face reflect that each year; i.e. child labor & sweatshops, right to vote, women's lib etc..
  • Options
    1. Moi? :lol:
    2. I think it was simple designated as a day to acknowledge the work of Martin Luther King. And give certain employees (ahem!) the day off. (There I go, stirring it ups again. :lol: ) I've heard it said that MLK would not have wanted this to be a holiday- that he would have preferred people carry on with the work that needs to be done. Not sure if this is so.
    3 Interesting idea, Dancepartner!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    MLK spoke truth, he stood for the oppressed, not just the "blacks"
    Over the years his legacy has been perverted and bastardized
    One of the greatest Americans to ever live
    Mountaintop speech is awesome, the end he is basically saying... I know Im a dead man, but Im not scared, not worried, you're scared, you're worried, kill me the man but you cant kill the message

What would you do if you KNEW that what you stood for would kill you? Would you still take to the streets, speak and march against the powerful?

And they were telling me --. Now, it doesn't matter, now. It really doesn't matter what happens now. I left Atlanta this morning, and as we got started on the plane, there were six of us. The pilot said over the public address system, "We are sorry for the delay, but we have Dr. Martin Luther King on the plane. And to be sure that all of the bags were checked, and to be sure that nothing would be wrong with on the plane, we had to check out everything carefully. And we've had the plane protected and guarded all night."

And then I got into Memphis. And some began to say the threats, or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers?

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it really doesn't matter with me now, because I've been to the mountaintop.
    And I don't mind.
    Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!

And so I'm happy, tonight.
    I'm not worried about anything.
    I'm not fearing any man!
    Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!!
  • Options
    "unjust war distracted from domestic social programs"
  • Options
    "I don't think loyalty to the country should be measured by our ability to kill. I think our loyalties to the country should be measured by our ability to lead the nation to higher heights of democracy and the great dream of justice and humanity"
  • Options
    "Over the past two years, as I have moved to break the betrayal of my own silences and to speak from the burnings of my own heart, as I have called for radical departures from the destruction of Vietnam, many persons have questioned me about the wisdom of my path. At the heart of their concerns this query has often loomed large and loud: 'Why are you speaking about the war, Dr. King?' 'Why are you joining the voices of dissent?' 'Peace and civil rights don't mix,' they say. 'Aren't you hurting the cause of your people,' they ask? And when I hear them, though I often understand the source of their concern, I am nevertheless greatly saddened, for such questions mean that the inquirers have not really known me, my commitment or my calling. Indeed, their questions suggest that they do not know the world in which they live.
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Good quote, JC.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    Unfortunately it doesn't mean much. I think MLK was a heroic man who did wonderful work and whose murder was a tragedy, but I am not sure we need a day for him specifically. There are many icons of the civil rights movement who should be honored as well.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    Unfortunately it doesn't mean much. I think MLK was a heroic man who did wonderful work and whose murder was a tragedy, but I am not sure we need a day for him specifically. There are many icons of the civil rights movement who should be honored as well.

id be very surprised if MLK looks at it as an honor!
  • Options
    how does the US reconcile / justify "honoring" a man who believed this:

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.”
  • Options
    Stokely Carmichael warning King, "The Man don’t care you call ghettos concentration camps, but when you tell him his war machine is nothing but hired killers you got trouble." Carmichael was right.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    MLK was/is my hero, but a holiday where it's primarily just the government taking the day off doesn't sit well with me.

Plus, Obama then ignored the holiday by making all the inauguration workers work and I kind of wonder why nobody brought that up.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    The Army’s interest in the King family stretched back to 1917 when the War Department opened a file on King’s maternal grandfather, first president of Atlanta’s branch of the NAACP. King’s father, Martin Sr., also entered Army intelligence files as a potential troublemaker, as did Martin Jr. in 1947 when he was 18. He was attending Dorothy Lilley’s Intercollegiate School in Atlanta and 111th Military Intelligence Group in Fort McPherson in Atlanta suspected Ms Lilley of having Communist ties.

King’s famous denunciation of America’s war in Vietnam came exactly a year before his murder, before a crowd of 3,000 in the Riverside Church in Manhattan. He described Vietnam’s destruction at the hands of ”deadly Western arrogance,” insisting that ”we are on the side of the wealthy, and the secure, while we create a hell for the poor We were taking the black young men who had been crippled by our society and sending them eight thousand miles away to guarantee liberties in Southeast Asia which they had not found in southwest Georgia and East Harlem.

The Army increased surveillance on King. Green Berets and other Special Forces veterans from Vietnam began making street maps and identifying sniper sites in major American cities. The Ku Klux Klan was recruited by the 20th Special Forces Group, headquartered in Alabama, as a subsidiary intelligence network. The Army began offering 30.06 sniper rifles to police departments, including that of Memphis. King was dogged by spy units through early ’67. A Green Beret unit was operating in Memphis the day he was shot. The bullet that killed him came from a 30.06 rifle purchased in a Memphis store. Army intelligence chiefs became increasingly hysterical over the threat of King to national stability.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    know1 wrote:
    MLK was/is my hero, but a holiday where it's primarily just the government taking the day off doesn't sit well with me.

Plus, Obama then ignored the holiday by making all the inauguration workers work and I kind of wonder why nobody brought that up.
    I understand your hatred for Obama... but, you have to pin this on on the Constitution, not Obama.
    Amendment 20 of the Constitution of The United States of America:
    Section 1. The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.
    So, you need to blame our Constitution for this one and file your grievences with it.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    know1 wrote:

I understand your hatred for Obama... but, you have to pin this on on the Constitution, not Obama.
    Section 1. The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.
    So, you need to blame our Constitution for this one and file your grievences with it.

Not at all.

They were sworn in yesterday. They are not mandated to have a big party today on a government holiday meant to honor MLK. They could have had it yesterday, couldn't they?

I have no specific hatred for Obama. I pretty much hate all elected officials equally. They are all doing a grievous disservice to the public they are supposed to serve.

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    know1 wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    know1 wrote:

Not at all.

They were sworn in yesterday. They are not mandated to have a big party today on a government holiday meant to honor MLK. They could have had it yesterday, couldn't they?

I have no specific hatred for Obama. I pretty much hate all elected officials equally. They are all doing a grievous disservice to the public they are supposed to serve.
    On the same day as the Conference Championship games that decides on who goes to the Super Bowl?
    You know... in America, other than Super Bowl Sunday, that is the greatest religious holiday of them all. The South would have declared a Civil War because Atlanta was one of the four teams.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    On the same day as the Conference Championship games that decides on who goes to the Super Bowl?
    You know... in America, other than Super Bowl Sunday, that is the greatest religious holiday of them all. The South would have declared a Civil War because Atlanta was one of the four teams.

All I'm saying is that I'm surprised I don't hear more people wondering why they basically negated a government holiday meant to honor an American hero by requiring a bunch of people in Washington to work on a day they were supposed to have off.

Nevermind stealing the thunder from any parades or observances.

• Options
    know1 wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    know1 wrote:

Not at all.

That's a lot of hatred.

"Love and only love will endure
    Hate is everything you think it is."
    -Neil Young

Just a thought- not meaning to provoke.

• Options
    Boston University, where King received his Ph.D. in systematic theology, conducted an investigation that found he plagiarized major portions of his doctoral thesis from various other authors who wrote about the topic.

Boston University decided not to revoke his doctorate, saying that although King acted improperly, his dissertation still "makes an intelligent contribution to scholarship." However, a letter is now attached to King's dissertation in the university library, noting that numerous passages were included without the appropriate quotations and citations of sources.
  • Options
    Rumors of King’s use of church funds to feed his penchant for White prostitutes were circulating in very high circles long before they were made public. US President Lyndon Johnson once called King was a “hypocritical preacher.” Attorney General Robert Kennedy, who signed off on the wiretaps and hotel/motel room electronic surveillance of King, then played audio taped evidence of King’s extramarital affairs at cocktail parties, much to the delight of brothers Jack and Ted, who convulsed in fits of laughter upon hearing them.

Dr. Ralph Abernathy, a close associate of King, stated in his 1989 autobiography And the Walls Came Tumbling Down that King had a “weakness for women.” In a later interview, Abernathy said he only wrote the term “womanizing” and did not specifically say King had extramarital sex. King’s biographer David Garrow detailed what he called King’s “compulsive sexual athleticism,” writing about a number of extramarital affairs, including one with a woman King saw almost daily. According to Garrow, “that relationship, rather than his marriage, increasingly became the emotional centerpiece of King’s life, but it did not eliminate the other incidental couplings that were a commonplace of King’s travels.” King explained his extramarital affairs as “a form of anxiety reduction”. Garrow noted that King’s promiscuity was the cause of “painful and overwhelming guilt feelings.”

On January 31, 1977, United States district Judge John Lewis Smith, Jr., ordered all known copies of the recorded audiotapes and written transcripts resulting from the FBI’s electronic surveillance of King between 1963 and 1968 to be held in the National Archives and sealed from public access until 2027.
  • Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    What a great way to spend Mlk day celbrating the reinaugeration of the nations fist black president.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    JC29856 said:

MLK spoke truth, he stood for the oppressed, not just the "blacks"

Over the years his legacy has been perverted and bastardized

One of the greatest Americans to ever live

Mountaintop speech is awesome, the end he is basically saying... I know Im a dead man, but Im not scared, not worried, you're scared, you're worried, kill me the man but you cant kill the message

What would you do if you KNEW that what you stood for would kill you? Would you still take to the streets, speak and march against the powerful?

And they were telling me --. Now, it doesn't matter, now. It really doesn't matter what happens now. I left Atlanta this morning, and as we got started on the plane, there were six of us. The pilot said over the public address system, "We are sorry for the delay, but we have Dr. Martin Luther King on the plane. And to be sure that all of the bags were checked, and to be sure that nothing would be wrong with on the plane, we had to check out everything carefully. And we've had the plane protected and guarded all night."

And then I got into Memphis. And some began to say the threats, or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers?

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it really doesn't matter with me now, because I've been to the mountaintop.

And I don't mind.

Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!

And so I'm happy, tonight.

I'm not worried about anything.

I'm not fearing any man!

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!!

Never too early to begin celebrating one of America's most courageous civil rights leaders.
    Inspired by congressman Lewis
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

Add prophetic to his legacy!!!

Deserves requote and bold.

• Options
    JC29856 said:

"I don't think loyalty to the country should be measured by our ability to kill. I think our loyalties to the country should be measured by our ability to lead the nation to higher heights of democracy and the great dream of justice and humanity"

Dedicated to the Cold Warriors:

I don't think loyalty to the country should be measured by our ability to kill. I think our loyalties to the country should be measured by our ability to lead the nation to higher heights of democracy and the great dream of justice and humanity
  • Options
    Happy 88th birthday, I got you alittle something you might like.

• Options
    JC29856 said:

Did you spew when you found that pic? Feeling a little superior maybe? Or relieved? Maybe wiki has the truth?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

And then Trump killed her!!!!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KnmhMKLlJyE
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©