Buffalo Sabres '14-'15 Tanking Year Two

MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
edited February 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
There is a Sabres thread, but the creator is inactive and I want to assume control of the Title.

Very excited for the season. I could see them finishing from anywhere between 3rd and 12th in the Conference (out on a limb).

Could be a transition with rookies Foligno and Grigorenko, with a bunch of young players coming up in the next year or 2.
Post edited by MayDay10 on

Comments

• StevieGStevieG Posts: 850
    I think you're aiming a little high for 3rd, but they could definitely get in around 5th or 6th in my opinion. Miller needs to regin his form from a couple of years ago. I think Hodgson is going to have a breakout season. At least I hope so, I took him in the late rounds of a couple of my fantasy leagues. Can't wait for the season to start. I plan on going to see the Caps in Buffalo again this year.
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    StevieG wrote:
    I think you're aiming a little high for 3rd, but they could definitely get in around 5th or 6th in my opinion. Miller needs to regin his form from a couple of years ago. I think Hodgson is going to have a breakout season. At least I hope so, I took him in the late rounds of a couple of my fantasy leagues. Can't wait for the season to start. I plan on going to see the Caps in Buffalo again this year.

I think its possible for the optimism you gave to come to fruition, and also I think its possible for Boston to let down a bit riding Tuuka Rask. That is the 3rd place scenario.

Hodgson should have a good year. They have him centering Vanek and Pominville, who are both pretty consistent. Very nice pick.

Im not a huge Miller fan though. He is very bi-polar with his play. Very good, stealing games, or awful and costing games.
    Big win yesterday. No rest though as they head up the QEW to play the Leafs.

Like Hodgson yesterday, played a strong game. Liked Ott as well. Vanek, of course was great in a 5 point game.

I still dont understand, with all the toughness added, why Stafford is the "punishment" when curly cue is running around and hitting the smallest players from behind.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I'm a Flyers fan and we played like shit. You helped us play like shit. What did you think of the goalie interference call early in the 1st period? I thought it was questionable. I heard there was some flack about another disallowed goal but I left my tv by that time to have a catch with my son. I never saw the second one.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Both disallowed goals were on the opposite end of the ice as me. From what I hear from most unbiased people, is the 1st one was "by the book", but real iffy based on what normally is allowed to slide.

The 2nd one apparently the ref was a little out of position and blew the whistle too early?

I thought it was a poorly officiated game for the most part. A couple real sketchy interference calls, the Ott dive looked bad, and they should have let Schenn and Foligno fight
    ROugh one last night.

I see Myers is back to being a very tall vagina again. Gerbe comes back from a back injury, gets plastered from behind, and Myers taps the guy's ankle with his stick. thatll show him.
    It would be fine if he was playing good D, but he is playing like AIDS on blades.

Game tonight. Ill be there.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    MayDay10 wrote:
    ROugh one last night.

I see Myers is back to being a very tall vagina again
    :lol:
    John Scott!
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    lol he beat up Shawn Thornton big deal
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    lol he beat up Shawn Thornton big deal
    What goes around comes around?
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    MayDay10 wrote:
    John Scott!

former hawk.
    Thornton had it coming to him. I remember him acting like he was a big shot jumping Pominville last season.

It is a huge deal to me. The Sabres have been pansies for like 12 years (after being maybe the toughest team for the previous 15 or so). It is great watching them win altercations again.

Next Sunday, Scott will take Lucic out.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Thornton had it coming to him. I remember him acting like he was a big shot jumping Pominville last season.

It is a huge deal to me. The Sabres have been pansies for like 12 years (after being maybe the toughest team for the previous 15 or so). It is great watching them win altercations again.

Next Sunday, Scott will take Lucic out.
    Lucic won't fight him but i'd love to see it, and Scott actually feels bad for giving Thornton a concussion 7 to 10 days
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    7 Goals last night

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSos1i9VZGhGyh0ZdQ0wAl8OwvI1aYUh4UOaaNOFpwPgGuPLLw6
    My butt itches!
    Yay!
    Rygar wrote:
    Yay!
    6-1 :lol:
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    wow. Rough game. Montreal was on, Buffalo was offff.

Myers and Leopold might be the 2 worst defensemen in the league.

The refs were also brutal in this game, and ruined it. Had zero influence on the outcome, but it robbed the game of any flow or continuity.
  • wstenwsten Posts: 29
    ugh! I didn't think that 3rd period was going to end...constant whistles.

I would assume Miller "gets a rest" tomorrow, but with Lindy you never know.
    yeah, he seems to panic when the team is sliding so he sticks with Miller, not wanting to risk any more points than he needs to. The problem is, they have slid each of the last 3 seasons, so they ride him, then when they start to get hot and make a playoff push, Miller gets hot and they dont want to sit him.

Basically its on Myers. If he cant turn it around, its an organization-changer.
    :fp:
    I joined the fire Ruff facebook page.

I just dont see how it can work when nobody is in any danger of losing their job.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I joined the fire Ruff facebook page.

I just dont see how it can work when nobody is in any danger of losing their job.

its a shame, he's a nice guy and a good coach but its time to get some new blood in there. hockey has changed and he hasnt really adjusted
    you just cant run a pro sports organization like that. Pegula takes pride that he doesnt fire anyone and his employees are always happy, etc...

But when the labor makes between $500K and $10M, the middle management (coaches) become the shmucks.
    Ruff is a great coach but it's time for a change. A lot of fans don't want to hear that but I have been screaming for Lindy to get fired since this team lost to Carolina in the Eastern Conference Finals. Lindy has been great in Buffalo but it's time to move on.
    My butt itches!
  • wstenwsten Posts: 29
    I agree Lindy needs to go...they need a fresh voice with a new message in there.
    but i read this today
    http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/201 ... coach.html
    Then fire Darcy
    My butt itches!
    Rygar wrote:
    Yay!
    Boo!
    I would be so pissed if I were a Habs fan.

Ott pulling the whole pretending he was shoved into the goalie bit, while Vanek was shoveling underneath Budaj's pads like 3 giant thrusts. He was practically in the net when the puck finally went past him.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I would be so pissed if I were a Habs fan.

Ott pulling the whole pretending he was shoved into the goalie bit, while Vanek was shoveling underneath Budaj's pads like 3 giant thrusts. He was practically in the net when the puck finally went past him.
    We're always pissed ;)
    Vanek is a beast though. 10 Goals and 21 points now in 10 games (he missed 1).

only guy worth a damn on the team. I like Hodgson too. Foligno, Ennis, Ott, and Scott.