Online learning

Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Has anyone completed a degree online? I just started. I wanted to use my post 9/11 GI bill prior to all the crooks in DC cutting it. Any feed back would be great.
96 Randall's Island II
98 CAA
00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
09 Phillie III
10 MSG II
13 Wrigley Field
16 Phillie II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i did the old school route and went to an old school university (of toledo)

not sure what you are studying, but i would any for profit school. just my opinion. best of luck.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I've taken classes online before... I feel like I learn more in an actual classroom.

Best wishes! Good luck!
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Has anyone completed a degree online? I just started. I wanted to use my post 9/11 GI bill prior to all the crooks in DC cutting it. Any feed back would be great.

Both works. I would find a school that offers both. I did my sister's papers and she did my math tests.
    Best of both worlds. :)
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I actually did get my degree online. I went to 4 different schools before finally switching online (did a lot of moving during that time). So I've had experience with both brick-and-mortar schools and the online route. Here's a few things:
    I definitely learned more in the online environment. You can't just sit in the back of the class and skate through. You HAVE to participate and read everything.
    The classes are pretty small, usually about 12-15 people per class, so you're not drowned out to your professor.
    There is a LOT of reading and writing. I was doing at least two papers per week. When I did it, I was working full time and found that the most I could handle was 2 classes at a time, because each class was only 6 weeks long, so there's a LOT crunched in.
    I really found it to be the best way for me to get my degree, but you have to be motivated and you have to want to do the work. You're doing it all...and pretty much teaching yourself...on your own, so keep that in mind.
    PM me if you have any questions at all and good luck!!

*Edit - make sure it's an accredited school!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    You can't just sit in the back of the class and skate through.

you'd be amazed what you can accomplish from the back of the class while never doing homework. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I actually did get my degree online. I went to 4 different schools before finally switching online (did a lot of moving during that time). So I've had experience with both brick-and-mortar schools and the online route. Here's a few things:
    I definitely learned more in the online environment. You can't just sit in the back of the class and skate through. You HAVE to participate and read everything.
    The classes are pretty small, usually about 12-15 people per class, so you're not drowned out to your professor.
    There is a LOT of reading and writing. I was doing at least two papers per week. When I did it, I was working full time and found that the most I could handle was 2 classes at a time, because each class was only 6 weeks long, so there's a LOT crunched in.
    I really found it to be the best way for me to get my degree, but you have to be motivated and you have to want to do the work. You're doing it all...and pretty much teaching yourself...on your own, so keep that in mind.

Except now you can use the google machine on the online exams
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    You can't just sit in the back of the class and skate through.

you'd be amazed what you can accomplish from the back of the class while never doing homework. :mrgreen:

Best place to sit due to it being an easy exit if you want to leave early.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I think about doing this but between work and videos games who has time?
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Mamasan23 wrote:

It was very rare that I had a multiple choice exam. I would say almost 90% of my grades were based on reports and research papers.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

It was very rare that I had a multiple choice exam. I would say almost 90% of my grades were based on reports and research papers.

Yep, sounds like a regular class then
  • Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    Thanks everyone I am a student at the American Military University part of American Public University. I guess we will see how it goes.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II