Recommend acoustic guitar

kbuchholtzkbuchholtz Posts: 60
edited April 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hello everyone. I'm looking for a new acoustic guitar. My first ever guitar was an Alvarez acoustic, folk size. I play a strat now, and pick up my acoustic on occasion (more often lately). I'm realizing that my folk style Alvarez is a little small. Frets are tight. I'm looking for something bigger. Is there a brand I should focus my search on? Specific model you all love? Budget in the $500-$900 range. Looking for all wood, acoustic-electric. I'm reading good things about Guild. Martin, obviously. Am I missing anything? Anyone have a full sized acoustic they LOVE and want everyone else to own?

Thanks for your time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    Believe it or not, and this is absolutely NO BS, but I can recommend two guitars that sound WICKED to me, that I've recommended to several friends over the years, and the results have been fantastic. Won't cost you the $500-$900 you're willing to spend either. These two brands, really did blow my mind when I found them.

Montana
    Fina

And as far as I recall, they each had the electric component AND the cutaway (to get up on the high didlee didlees) and they cost $200-$300. Years of play in these units. The SOUND!! for the price!! It's something I'll never forget and I always recommend them to people looking for a good new acoustic.

Now, I do have a couple other recommendations.

Art & Lutherie - again, amazing sound. Price point in the $300-$500 range.
    Taylor

String choice is key. I highly recommend the following strings:

D'Addario - Coated Phosphor Bronze - Light or Medium

If you don't have a capo, get one (I know nothing about who you are or your guitar experience)
    Get a hard case, not a soft case.
    Keep 2 extra sets of strings on hand (in your case)
    Learn Yellow Ledbetter, Black, Release, Off He Goes, Low Light, Crazy Mary, Elderly Woman, Betterman annnnnnnnnd..... Lukin. All on the acoustic. You'll be rip-roarin!

Goodluck

Note: I've been playing for 16 years and I teach on the side.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • cool. thanks for your reply. i've been digging my acoustic lately, though the sound is pretty crappy on it now. totally agree on the case and capo. hard case for sure, since my lack of one caused my alvarez to warp leaving me with dead strings past the 9th fret.

i've played elixirs, medium. liked them. are the coated d'addarios similar? don't think i've played those. i'm a trusting sob, so i'm gonna take your word and try them out. i know you've got good taste in music.

thanks for your time.
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Martin!
    If you can afford one.
    I can't even play guitar. I just know that my musical friends love them the best.
    kbuchholtz wrote:
    i've played elixirs, medium. liked them. are the coated d'addarios similar?

When I started learning about "better" higher quality strings, it was Elixers that were introduced to me. Because I was playing on cheap strings for many years, the feeling of these soft... coated..... elixers... I'll never forget how excited I was. BUT... After maybe a year or two of playing on Elixer's, I noticed the nanoweb coating on them started to peel off... hmmmm... the hunt for better strings began. I found the D'Addario Phosphor Bronze and so far, have never looked back on Elixer. The best is these D'Addario phosphor bronze. Very light coating (lighter than Elixer, so less or no peeling over time) and a stunning crisp sound. Very high quality!!
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

evsgjamm wrote:
    kbuchholtz wrote:

When I started learning about "better" higher quality strings, it was Elixers that were introduced to me. Because I was playing on cheap strings for many years, the feeling of these soft... coated..... elixers... I'll never forget how excited I was. BUT... After maybe a year or two of playing on Elixer's, I noticed the nanoweb coating on them started to peel off... hmmmm... the hunt for better strings began. I found the D'Addario Phosphor Bronze and so far, have never looked back on Elixer. The best is these D'Addario phosphor bronze. Very light coating (lighter than Elixer, so less or no peeling over time) and a stunning crisp sound. Very high quality!!

Awesome! good to know. I never know what to buy. Is D'Addario "high end" as in cost? or is it purely performance quality?

?I'm not a teacher, but shouldn't a person learn "Little Wing" before Yellow LB?
  • I would stay away from any of the low end Martins or Taylors. They are not close to the quality of the real Martins. I would recommend an Alvarez Artist Series dreadnaught. They are a great value if you want a new guitar. If you are willing to buy used I would recommend looking for an Alvarez Yairi DY40C. I got one used on ebay for about $650 years ago. They are just as good as Martins in the same price range and in my opinion are actually better.

I like Martin strings over DAdarrio. I use Martin phosphor bronze. They are better balanced and give a better low end. In my opinion the Daddarios are too bright.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    STAYSEA wrote:
    Awesome! good to know. I never know what to buy. Is D'Addario "high end" as in cost? or is it purely performance quality?

?I'm not a teacher, but shouldn't a person learn "Little Wing" before Yellow LB?

D'Addario Phospher Bronze strings are on the higher end of the spectrum. Can run you $15 to $25 for a pack of strings. WORTH EVERY PENNY!

All I can say for Little Wing vs Yellow Ledbetter is this; "Good fuckin luck learning the former as good as the latter" ;);)

• rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    evsgjamm wrote:
    kbuchholtz wrote:

A year or two without changing strings?? Holy crap. Tried the coated strings, just dont like the sound. I use Martin Marquis or Martin Phosphor/Bronze mediums. The D Adarrios are too bright for my taste.
    Gibson or Martin. Geez . I can't even play guitar. I know quality. If you have the money choose one or the other. (Martin). Gibson is trendy. Martin's are sweeter.

But I'm not a musician. I just really like musicians, and gear ?
  • MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    My personal preference for a mid range priced acoustic is a Takamine. I picked up a used one a couple of years ago and love it. About $300 used, $500-$600 new. Frets are smooth, action is very playable, and it stays in tune.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,739
    I have a '74 Martin D18 and that I used to take with me everywhere- camping even. Yeah I know, crazy! So when I realized what a bad idea that was I went looking for a less expensive model to pack around. A friend of a friend suggested a Martin DX series and let me try her's out and I liked it immediately. I shopped around and found a Martin DX1R for just over $500 and I've loved it ever since. It's nothing fancy but has great tone and Martin's workmanship. I couldn't be happier... except now I'd like to get a DX cutaway acoustic/electrics.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux wrote:
    I have a '74 Martin D18 and that I used to take with me everywhere- camping even. Yeah I know, crazy! So when I realized what a bad idea that was I went looking for a less expensive model to pack around. A friend of a friend suggested a Martin DX series and let me try her's out and I liked it immediately. I shopped around and found a Martin DX1R for just over $500 and I've loved it ever since. It's nothing fancy but has great tone and Martin's workmanship. I couldn't be happier... except now I'd like to get a DX cutaway acoustic/electrics.

A 74 D18 camping? Someone should slap you. :lol:
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,739
    brianlux wrote:

A 74 D18 camping? Someone should slap you. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:
    I'm lucky it's remained unscathed. Now days it stays right here at home 24/7!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux wrote:

Tried those DX guitars, they're not bad but I still like the Alvarez Artist series better. Either way they are good midrange guitars.

I always buy used guitars. I dont mind if they have dings or scratches either. Actually I prefer it. Looks cooler and it usually brings the price way down if they are beat up. Only thing that matters to me is sound and feel. Thats how I got a $1500 Yairi for $600. :D
    kbuchholtz wrote:
    Hello everyone. I'm looking for a new acoustic guitar. My first ever guitar was an Alvarez acoustic, folk size. I play a strat now, and pick up my acoustic on occasion (more often lately). I'm realizing that my folk style Alvarez is a little small. Frets are tight. I'm looking for something bigger. Is there a brand I should focus my search on? Specific model you all love? Budget in the $500-$900 range. Looking for all wood, acoustic-electric. I'm reading good things about Guild. Martin, obviously. Am I missing anything? Anyone have a full sized acoustic they LOVE and want everyone else to own?

Thanks for your time.

So, did you get one yet?
  • I haven't gotten one yet. I'm looking for something used, and trying to get out to a few local shops and play around to find some things I like. Plus, waiting for my tax return check to come in. I go on these binges where I really want to buy one right away; then I sit back and just enjoy playing what I have now. I'm in that mode at the moment, but when the mood strikes I want to be ready. I'm pretty patient, so I won't jump at just anything.

I've also now decided that I'd like a cutaway model. Seem much tougher to find used. So I'm still poking around. Haven't decided on a "brand" to focus on. Will probably see what pops up and then decide if it's worth it to buy.

Thanks for asking.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I've owned several Larrivee guitars and they sound awesome. At the $1,000 range, I think they sound better then Martins and Taylors.

My models were made in Vancouver. They also have a Cali shop but I can't vouch on the quality of those guitars.
  • tanglewood guitars are very good and very affordable. they are made in england.

i played several of them at a friend's guitar shop and instantly fell in love with the dreadnaught.

they are comparable to taylors and martins but they are in the $500-700 range.

i plan on getting one at some point...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."