Question about guitar setup?

PearlJamsterPearlJamster Posts: 102
edited January 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok i am not sure about a proper set up but i have heard alot of theories. don't know if they are true but would like someone who is knowledgeable in this topic to answer please.

Is it true that the only thing to really worry about in a proper good sounding guitar is mainly intonation and neck straightness? That action, pick up height is mostly personal preference? is this true or does it all have to be set up a certain way to be a proper sounding guitar for set up?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Is it true that the only thing to really worry about in a proper good sounding guitar is mainly intonation and neck straightness? That action, pick up height is mostly personal preference? is this true or does it all have to be set up a certain way to be a proper sounding guitar for set up?

There's a certain range that the pickups need to be. If they're too close to the string the magnetic field can kill your sustain and cause some seriously funky sounds. Obviously, if they're not close enough to the strings you're gonna weaken the output.

There are guidelines for about everything your asking about(action, pickup height, neck relief), but then you can make personal adjustments from there.
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194
    ^ what he said. Those are pretty large extremes though, so in the end it's really personal preference. Adjusting the pickup height will give you some varying tones, especially if you are adjusting the action at the same time
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • ok cool well thanks for those inputs, I did get my guitar setup by a guitar tech, he told me that as long as my guitar feels and sound right to me then just come back for another set up when i feel something doesn't sound or feel right with the guitar, other than that just keep playing he told me.
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    ...as long as my guitar feels and sound right to me ... when i feel something doesn't sound or feel right with the guitar, other than that just keep playing he told me.

You have learned 3 very valuable lessons about playing any instrument. GO FORTH AND ROCK! :twisted: :twisted:
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • I have a great guitar but if the pickups are weak, it'll be rough on sustain.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy