Joshua Tree

A serious type post.
Anybody been to Joshua Tree? Reason I ask is I'm a massive Stones fan and after reading Keith Richard's book Life for the 2nd time I've decided I need to know more about Gram Parsons.

Gram was a buddy of Keith's, recorded with EmmyLou Harris, had an affair. He died at Joshua Tree, OD.
Then his casket was stolen from the LAX airport and driven back to the Joshua tree and burned, he wanted to be cremated.
Casket stolen by buddies of theirs. And the hearse.

I've decided to go there, and stay in the same room he OD'd in and see if the ghosts are there.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,672
    A serious type post.
    Anybody been to Joshua Tree? Reason I ask is I'm a massive Stones fan and after reading Keith Richard's book Life for the 2nd time I've decided I need to know more about Gram Parsons.

Gram was a buddy of Keith's, recorded with EmmyLou Harris, had an affair. He died at Joshua Tree, OD.
    Then his casket was stolen from the LAX airport and driven back to the Joshua tree and burned, he wanted to be cremated.
    Casket stolen by buddies of theirs. And the hearse.

I've decided to go there, and stay in the same room he OD'd in and see if the ghosts are there.

Joshua Tree is a beautiful and interesting place. The first time I went there I hiked out on a long flat plain etched by sidewinder tracks through prickly pear cacti and towering spiny ocotillo in bloom to a knoll comprised of huge strewn boulders. I climbed to the top and half way up got a friendly warning from a juvenile diamond back rattler. We exchanged greeting and I passed safely.

The second time I went to Joshua it was late spring and the flies were thick as thieves. I didn't want to leave but the flies were aggressive and driving me nuts. I sat on a rock contemplating my next move when a starling landed near me and just hung out a while. A few flies landed on my sweaty arm on and just out of curiosity, moved it very slowly closer and closer to the starling until the bird thrust its beak out and snatched one of the flies. Thinking that was a fluke I tried it again with the same arm and got the same result. Starlings may be the crab grass of the bird family but they're not dumb. We kept this up a while but the flies were attaching my face while I helped feed the starling and I just had to get in the car and get away from the flies for a while. Well, the starling flew in with me, sat on the head rest and nabbed the half dozen or so flies that had gotten in the car until they were gone. With nothing else to offer, I opened the window just enough for the bird to leave as I said "thanks" and "goodbye".

The third time I drove through Joshua with other destination so only stopped a few times to take in the spectacular view. I'd been thinking about tarantulas and sure enough, a few mile up the road I spotted one in the road. I stopped the car and moved the furry little thing off the road to safety.

Who knows- the ghost of Gram Parsons may come in many disguises. Thanks Gram. It was cool. 8-)

Safe and enjoyable travels, push me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    that's a pretty amazing story!
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I backpacked the Boyscout Trail a few years back. It's an interesting hike.

Overall, I didn't fall in love with the place like some have.
  • Check out Skull rock when you go. Watch the climbers, they're amazing
    to watch in action, but it's hella more fun fun to one!!
    If you do climb, Sailaway has a killer end view. Bookum was
    closed last time my brother and Iclimbed out there!! It is the
    mist spiritual place ever!! I like to climb Sailaway while
    Listening to Alive, try it, you'll get the irony about halfway up!!
    Have fun!!! It's insanely gorgeous! One of the very FEW THINGS
    I. Miss about Cali!
  • u2?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    fantastic album