'4 or 5' rounds per second a 'right'

ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
edited January 2013 in A Moving Train
Eric Bolling: Shooting ’4 or 5 rounds per second’ is a constitutional right
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/11/e ... nal-right/

(via The Raw Story)

When Heraldo riveria is the voice of reason what does that say about the rest....
I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Zoso wrote:

(via The Raw Story)

When Heraldo riveria is the voice of reason what does that say about the rest....

LIBERTY!

DON'T TREAD ON ME!

It is a violation of all our rights that the technology to shoot MORE than 4 or 5 rounds per second is not readily available! You are all brainwashed by the liberal media!

And...scene.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    JimmyV wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

(via The Raw Story)

LIBERTY!

DON'T TREAD ON ME!

It is a violation of all our rights that the technology to shoot MORE than 4 or 5 rounds per second is not readily available! You are all brainwashed by the liberal media!

And...scene.

I laugh when conservatives mention the liberal media as what they are referring to is every media outlet bar Fox News..

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • JimmyV wrote:
    And...scene.

classic! :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    Thought this was a decent read from someone who doesnt seem to have a specific pre-determined opinion:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/0 ... c=obinsite

On Dec. 24, in Webster, New York, an ex-con named William Spengler set fire to his house and then shot and killed two responding firefighters before taking his own life. He shot them with a Bushmaster AR-15-style semi-automatic rifle—the same weapon that Adam Lanza used 10 days earlier when he shot and killed 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary. James Holmes used an AR-15-style rifle with a detachable 100-round magazine this past summer when he shot up a movie theater in Colorado. (Though the AR-15 is a specific model of rifle made by Colt, the term has come to generically refer to the many other rifles built to similar specifications.)

Three makes a trend, as we all know, and many people have reacted by suggesting that the federal government should ban the AR-15 and other so-called assault weapons. Gun advocates have responded with exasperation, saying that, despite appearances, AR-15-style rifles are no more dangerous than any other gun. In a piece today on humanevents.com titled “The AR-15: The Gun Liberals Love to Hate,” NRA president David Keene blasted those critics who “neither understand the nature of the firearms they would ban, their popularity or legitimate uses.” Keene noted there are several valid, non-murderous uses for rifles like the AR-15—among them recreational target shooting, hunting, and home defense—and argued that law-abiding firearms owners shouldn’t be penalized because of homicidal loners who use semi-automatics like the AR-15 for criminal purposes.

I generally consider myself a Second Amendment supporter, and I haven’t yet decided where I stand on post-Newtown gun control. I would own a gun if New York City laws didn’t make it extremely difficult to do so. But I nevertheless find Keene’s arguments disingenuous. It’s odd to cite hunting and home defense as reasons to keep selling a rifle that’s not particularly well suited, and definitely not necessary, for either. Bolt-action rifles and shotguns can also be used for hunting and home defense. Unfortunately, those guns aren’t particularly lucrative for gunmakers. The lobby’s fervent defense of military-style semi-automatic weapons like the AR-15 seems motivated primarily by a desire to protect the profits in the rapidly growing “modern sporting rifle” segment of the industry.

The AR-15 was designed in 1957 at the behest of the U.S. Army, which asked Armalite to come up with a “high-velocity, full and semi auto fire, 20 shot magazine, 6lbs loaded, able to penetrate both sides of a standard Army helmet at 500 meters rifle,” according to ar15.com. When it entered Army service in the 1960s, it was renamed the M16, in accordance with the Army Nomenclature System. “AR-15” came to refer to the rifle’s semi-automatic civilian equivalent. From 1994 to 2004, AR-15-style rifles were subject to the now-expired Federal Assault Weapons Ban. Since then, the rifle and others like it have become tremendously popular. Last month, I estimated that upward of 3.5 million AR-15-style rifles currently exist in the United States. People like the rifle because it is modular and thus customizable (one article calls the AR-15 “perhaps the most flexible firearm ever developed; in seconds, a carbine can be switched over to a long-range rifle by swapping upper receivers”), because it is easy to shoot, and because carrying it around makes you look like a badass.

But the AR-15 is not ideal for the hunting and home-defense uses that the NRA’s Keene cited today. Though it can be used for hunting, the AR-15 isn’t really a hunting rifle. Its standard .223 caliber ammunition doesn’t offer much stopping power for anything other than small game. Hunters themselves find the rifle controversial, with some arguing AR-15-style rifles empower sloppy, “spray and pray” hunters to waste ammunition. (The official Bushmaster XM15 manual lists the maximum effective rate of fire at 45 rounds per minute.) As one hunter put it in the comments section of an article on americanhunter.org, “I served in the military and the M16A2/M4 was the weapon I used for 20 years. It is first and foremost designed as an assault weapon platform, no matter what the spin. A hunter does not need a semi-automatic rifle to hunt, if he does he sucks, and should go play video games. I see more men running around the bush all cammo'd up with assault vests and face paint with tricked out AR's. These are not hunters but wannabe weekend warriors.”

In terms of repelling a home invasion—which is what most people mean when they talk about home defense—an AR-15-style rifle is probably less useful than a handgun. The AR-15 is a long gun, and can be tough to maneuver in tight quarters. When you shoot it, it’ll overpenetrate—sending bullets through the walls of your house and possibly into the walls of your neighbor’s house—unless you purchase the sort of ammunition that fragments on impact. (This is true for other guns, as well, but, again, the thing with the AR-15 is that it lets you fire more rounds faster.)

AR-15-style rifles are very useful, however, if what you’re trying to do is sell guns. In a recent Forbes article, Abram Brown reported that “gun ownership is at a near 20-year high, generating $4 billion in commercial gun and ammunition sales.” But that money’s not coming from selling shotguns and bolt-action rifles to pheasant hunters. In its 2011 annual report, Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation announced that bolt-action hunting rifles accounted for 6.6 percent of its net sales in 2011 (down from 2010 and 2009), while modern sporting rifles (like AR-15-style weapons) accounted for 18.2 percent of its net sales. The Freedom Group’s 2011 annual report noted that the commercial modern sporting rifle market grew at a 27 percent compound annual rate from 2007 to 2011, whereas the entire domestic long gun market only grew at a 3 percent rate.

As the NRA’s David Keene notes, a lot of people do use modern sporting rifles for target shooting and in marksmanship competitions. But the guns also appeal to another demographic that doesn’t get nearly as much press—paranoid survivalists who worry about having to fend off thieves and trespassers in the event of disaster. Online shooting message boards are rife with references to potential “SHTF scenarios,” where SHTF stands for “shit hits the fan”—governmental collapse, societal breakdown. (Adam Lanza’s mother, Nancy Lanza, has been described as “a gun-hoarding survivalist who was stockpiling weapons in preparation for an economic collapse.”) An article on ar15.com titled “The Ideal Rifle” notes that “the threats from crime, terrorism, natural disaster, and weapons of mass destruction are real. If something were to happen today, you would need to have made a decision about the rifle you would select and be prepared for such an event. So the need to select a ‘survival’ rifle is real. Selecting a single ‘ideal rifle’ is not easy. The AR-15 series of rifles comes out ahead when compared to everything else.” Depending on where you live, it’s perfectly legal to stockpile weapons to use in the event of Armageddon. But that’s a far different argument than the ones firearms advocates have been using since the Newtown shootings.

As I said, I generally think of myself as a Second Amendment supporter, and a month ago, I would’ve probably agreed with the NRA’s position. But the Newtown shooting caused me to re-examine my stance—as is, I think, fitting—and to question some of the rhetoric advocates use to defend weapons like this. In his piece at Human Events, Keene ridiculed the notion that AR-15-style rifles ought to be banned just because “a half dozen [AR-15s] out of more than three million have been misused after illegally falling into the hands of crazed killers.” But the AR-15 is very good at one thing: engaging the enemy at a rapid rate of fire. When someone like Adam Lanza uses it to take out 26 people in a matter of minutes, he’s committing a crime, but he isn’t misusing the rifle. That’s exactly what it was engineered to do.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Zoso wrote:

Who?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Zoso wrote:

Who?

thats Geraldo's brother....

• comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Zoso wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

Who?

I think if you look closely you can see him somewhere between the French and Italian Riviera :think:

YtgRiv.jpg
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • excellent quote:

“I think that paranoia is unfortunate,” Rivera replied. “I think when you examine those people who are stocking up arsenals of AR-15s and .223 Bushmasters, they are often people who are so deeply suspicious of their own government that it is bitterly ironic that these are the same people who claim a mantel of patriotism.”
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    Not a bad article at all, though he sets up a bit of a strawman with the AR-15-for-hunting justification. I haven't seen/heard alot of folks on the pro-2A side making that claim, though I hardly trawl the internet looking for such.
  • Zoso wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

Who?

:lol: That's priceless.

If you ignore the fact that he spent part of his career doing what it took to make money, Geraldo is actually a fairly level headed, even handed commentator (I have been shocked to learn this after spending my youth watching his trash). He's Exhibit Q on why dismissing any "news" source out of hand is foolhardy. You can learn from all of them (well, except MSNBC, but since nobody's watching that anyway, who cares?) even if it is to further solidify your opposition.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    excellent quote:

“I think that paranoia is unfortunate,” Rivera replied. “I think when you examine those people who are stocking up arsenals of AR-15s and .223 Bushmasters, they are often people who are so deeply suspicious of their own government that it is bitterly ironic that these are the same people who claim a mantel of patriotism.”

I am not sure of the bitter irony here...

Those stocking up arsenals, which is the vast MINORITY of gun owners, are suspicious of ALL governments, not just their own. That doesn't mean you don't love your country, it just means you don't define your country as its government...
    I honestly believe that blindly following your government is unpatriotic.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    I honestly believe that blindly following your government is unpatriotic.

I agree with this, but I also think if someone's first response when questioning the government is to stock up on weapons, that too is unpatriotic.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    I guess by now you know that the owner of the leading manufacturer of the AR-15 and the .223 ammo lives in Newtown, CT. Mr. M. Feinberg of Cerberus Capital Management. It could have been one of his grandchildren in those closed caskets.

You can ask any user of the .223 ammo, that the size of a standard class room, meant that no matter where the shooter stood, those kids and adults were shoot at point-blank-range, some multiple times. As a gun owner and a member of the NRA hearing that a person used an AR-15 with .223 ammo on children brought me to tears.

I could post the links of .223 ammo or links of the damage a .223 does to animals, but it would only turn some people’s stomach. So unless you take the time to look for yourself, or you know firsthand, you will never understand why those first responders at Sandy Hook told people to close their eyes.

Again, as a gun owner and a member of the NRA, we can’t be afraid to talk realistic about gun control in relation to the needs of society and the Constitution, even if they are baby steps.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    puremagic wrote:
    Again, as a gun owner and a member of the NRA, we can’t be afraid to talk realistic about gun control in relation to the needs of society and the Constitution, even if they are baby steps.

Thank you. :clap: :thumbup:

What i've been saying all along is that there are many factors we have to look at, but we really need to test the waters and try new things...keep and open mind...before these things become all too common (if that isnt already the case)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)