Support your local Humane Society - for animal lovers

tkbelle1980tkbelle1980 Posts: 43
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Five years ago on May 4th, I adopted my dog Charlie. She is my best friend and its one of the best things I ever did. Since then I have advocated for the adoption of pets through local animal shelters and services. This gives many animals a second chance at a happier life and its one less animal put down because it doesn't have a home.

Check out your local animal shelter to find out how you can support and adopt. Here is A few websites for Calgary:

http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/

https://donations.wspa.ca/lp/index.php? ... Qgod6g0A0w

Share stories about your fury or not fury friends here! I love hearing pets stories including those of animals that have been rescued!

"I didn't rescue my dog, my dog rescued me"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Always a wonderful idea!
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    We adopted Beans from our local LA shelter, through happenstance (or destiny; who knows). She's such a smart, agile cat. Prone to surliness, but also a sucker for belly rubs.

George from a nearby Petco - he was the only boy of a litter found in a wheel well. Soon as I held him to my chest...love! He's the total opposite of Beans, and therefore her perfect match (and nemesis :mrgreen: )

These two cats love each other - and their lives with us - and have brought so much happiness.

Cheers to this thread!

(for the love of them, please spay/neuter them, and go for the microchip if you can)
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I've been thinking about adopting another cat. I got Rosie (tuxedo cat) from the Phoenix Humane Society about 6 years ago. Super smart (almost too smart that its annoying :lol: ), playful, sweet cat. She is a little socially awkward...not a fan of strangers and hates when I bring a girl over. She's super cool and sweet to me, but I worry she'd get weird if I got another cat. Generally adult cats don't take we'll to new cats/kittens, so in a bit torn.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    mca47 wrote:
    I've been thinking about adopting another cat. I got Rosie (tuxedo cat) from the Phoenix Humane Society about 6 years ago. Super smart (almost too smart that its annoying :lol: ), playful, sweet cat. She is a little socially awkward...not a fan of strangers and hates when I bring a girl over. She's super cool and sweet to me, but I worry she'd get weird if I got another cat. Generally adult cats don't take we'll to new cats/kittens, so in a bit torn.
    It's always an adjustment, but definitely worth pursuing. Maybe you could try a foster-to-adopt type of deal?

After their "gettin to know all about you" stages with each other, it might be beneficial to them, especially if you're out or working most of the day.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    hedonist wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    It's always an adjustment, but definitely worth pursuing. Maybe you could try a foster-to-adopt type of deal?

After their "gettin to know all about you" stages with each other, it might be beneficial to them, especially if you're out or working most of the day.
    Yeah, I travel a lot for work so I figured they might like each others company. Poor Rosie has to be bored to death when I'm gone! :lol:

I will def think about it!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,785
    mca47 wrote:
    hedonist wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Yeah, I travel a lot for work so I figured they might like each others company. Poor Rosie has to be bored to death when I'm gone! :lol:

I will def think about it!

yeah that's why i have 2 cats. Got one then a few months later got another one figuring the other one would be bored. They get along fine :)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC