Why vinyl?

edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
so I just received vs/vitalogy super deluxe boxset, and have just ordered the live on ten legs and ten super deluxe boxsets. so all of a sudden im acquiring all this vinyl and was wondering why vinyl do people actually listen to it or do you just like collecting it and using it for display purposes. What are some of the benefits of vinyl? Thanks for the feedback, im sure a similar thread would of previously started similar to this so if anyone can point me to it thatll be great too, cheers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i grew up on vinyl, so i can only tell you that the tone is a warmer sound. also this may be how artists can actually make a living again by selling vinyl as you can't download one, but with neil young's new invention that may not be so anymore.
  • Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    It encompasses everything that is wonderful about playing music. The tactile nature of it for example. Being able to open the package and see the artwork, read the notes and the lyrics. The vinyl itself has a smell to it which is unique and satisfying and the way it is played, on the turntable, is just great to watch. The way you have to be careful and respectful to the needle in order to protect the vinyl. The way the vinyl needs to be kept clean. I for one, love the way the records store nicely together with the name of the album on the spine. It often includes codes which adhere to the issue you have and you can find out what other issues or special editions there might be for that record. It has a depth to it. The sound is indeed warmer and I think, has a live feel to it which you cant find on digital formats. It also has a personal nature to it. You have to be involved with it. You have to turn the record over, you have to decide on which side you want to hear. You have to be part of the playing of it.

I love it. :D
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"