First time going to Hawaii

McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
i'm planning to spend 1 week in Hawaii in mid-February.

I have no idea what are my expetations. I'll be landing in Honolulu.

Any advices where I should go, spend nights, good spots for surfing, good places for camping, ....

thanks..

All kind of advices are welcome (:
-"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm not too familiar with Oahu but I would spend some time on the Big Island or Kauai if you get a chance. Oahu tends to be more touristy. If you make it to Kauai, definitely spend a few bucks and take a helicopter tour. If you make it to the Big Island, Pololu valley is a great place for hiking and camping. South Point is a very unique place and worth the trip as well. Just respect the land and the locals. Safe travels!
    . . . the in between is mine.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I would recommend checking out Pearl Harbor. Very very cool. You can take a boat that brings you to a monument over the USS Arizona. The ship is still leaking oil after all of these years.

USSArizona2.jpg
  • must be an awesome place to be..hope some day i ll go
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • I'll be in Maui for a week starting on Feb 18!!!

I was in Oahu last year, but stayed on the North Shore on the other side of the island. You should definitely take a drive over there (about 50 min drive). It's beautiful and the country side of Oahu.

I went into Honolulu/Waikiki area for a afternoon. It's a city atmosphere where I was at. Didn't get a chance to venture to the beach on that side.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Since Hawaii's being discussed, have any of you who've gone, been to see molten lava areas? That is what I'd want to do if I ever get the chance to go to Hawaii.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Yes, there are times where they shut the roads but other times where you can walk right up to te flows. The big island is the only one with active flows. Pretty cool to see. FYI, it's bad luck to take lava rocks back home from Hawaii.
    . . . the in between is mine.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    February is a great time to visit. My wife and I went for our honeymoon in February five years ago, and it was fantastic. If I could offer any advice, don't spend a lot of time in Waikiki. We loved Maui (specifically the Road to Hana, sunrise at Haleakalā, and watching the surfers on the North Shore tackle some INSANE waves).

Sorry.....I can't surf (but I love to watch) so I can't offer you any advice on places to surf. I'm sure plenty on here know some places though.

Have fun! Can't wait until our 10 year anniversary when we've sworn to return.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Resurrecting this thread because I'm pretty seriously looking at doing a '36 hours in Honolulu' type thing on my way to Auckland for the BDO.

I've never been to Hawaii, and I don't surf. I'd be more interested in hiking and checking out a Volcano maybe? Any advice or recommendations welcome. :)
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    duska3419 wrote:
    Resurrecting this thread because I'm pretty seriously looking at doing a '36 hours in Honolulu' type thing on my way to Auckland for the BDO.

I've never been to Hawaii, and I don't surf. I'd be more interested in hiking and checking out a Volcano maybe? Any advice or recommendations welcome. :)

Unfortunately, there aren't any active volcanoes on Oahu (where Honolulu is). I believe you'd have to go to the Big Island (called Hawaii) to see one.

http://www.gohawaii.com/statewide/disco ... -of-hawaii

Hubby and I are going to Oahu next month for a week. I recommend checking out a guidebook to get some ideas. I like the Revealed series and Lonely Planet.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    talk to krrrzymary, she and her hubby live there. and she's a very nice lady, who knows how to have a good time and who I am sure would be more than happy to give you some tips on traveling in Hawaii

send her a pm, she still comes around here once in a while.