Options

oh for humanity

ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
edited January 2013 in A Moving Train
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... ml?hpid=z1

I see this being a hot topic debate 8-)

The White House is weighing a far broader and more comprehensive approach to curbing the nation’s gun violence than simply reinstating an expired ban on assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition, according to multiple people involved in the administration’s discussions.

A working group led by Vice President Biden is seriously considering measures backed by key law enforcement leaders that would require universal background checks for firearm buyers, track the movement and sale of weapons through a national database, strengthen mental health checks, and stiffen penalties for carrying guns near schools or giving them to minors, the sources said.

What some pro-gun lawmakers are saying after Newtown: In the aftermath of the shooting, a number of NRA-supported legislators have come out in support of new gun laws or signaled a willingness to budge. Here’s who said what.
Ads by CouponDropDown

To sell such changes, the White House is developing strategies to work around the National Rifle Association that one source said could include rallying support from Wal-Mart and other gun retailers for measures that would benefit their businesses. White House aides have also been in regular contact with advisers to New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (I), an outspoken gun-control advocate who could emerge as a powerful surrogate for the Obama administration’s agenda.

The Biden group, formed last month after the massacre at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school that killed 20 children and six adults, plans to submit a package of recommendations to President Obama this month. Once Obama’s proposals are set, he plans to lead a public-relations offensive to generate popular support.

“They are very clearly committed to looking at this issue comprehensively,” said Dan Gross, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, who has been involved in the discussions. The proposals under consideration, he added, are “a deeper exploration than just the assault-weapons ban.”

The gun-control push is just one part of an ambitious political agenda that Obama has pledged to pursue after his decisive reelection victory in November, including comprehensive immigration reform, climate-change legislation and long-term deficit reduction. Obama also faces a reshuffling of his Cabinet, and a looming debate over the nation’s debt ceiling that will compete for his time and attention in the coming months.

Seeking expansive mandate

In addition to potential legislative proposals, Biden’s group has expanded its focus to include measures that would not need congressional approval and could be quickly implemented by executive action, according to interest-group leaders who have discussed options with Biden and key Cabinet secretaries. Possibilities include changes to federal mental-health programs and modernization of gun-tracking efforts by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

“Simply coming up with one or two aspects of it really falls short of the magnitude of the gun issue in the country,” said Chuck Wexler, executive director of the Police Executive Research Forum.

Wexler was among a dozen law enforcement leaders who met with Biden and other administration leaders in the aftermath of the Dec. 14 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown. The Dec. 20 summit, which stretched an hour beyond an allotted one hour, included Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr., Education Secretary Arne Duncan, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius.
I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i think that's page one of a three page article yo.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    If you still believe Obama's not trying to disarm the American people.....then :fp:

, Biden’s group has expanded its focus to include measures that would not need congressional approval and could be quickly implemented by executive action

And THIS will be next.................. UN Global Gun Ban .....

Lest anyone believe the U.S. delegation official’s promise to Reuters that “we will not accept any treaty that infringes on the constitutional rights of our citizens to bear arms,” consider the fact that a report issued after the conclusion of the last Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) conference in July listed the goal of the agreement to be UN control of the “manufacture, control, trafficking, circulation, brokering and trade, as well as tracing, finance, collection and destruction of small arms and light weapons.”

That is a very comprehensive attack on “all aspects” of gun trade and ownership. Notably, the phrase “in all aspects” occurs 38 times in the draft of the ATT. The United Nations will control the purchase of guns and ammo, the possession of guns and ammo, and any guns and ammo not willingly surrendered to the UN will be tracked, seized, and destroyed.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/world-news/item/13741-un-global-gun-ban-flimflam
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    If you still believe Obama's not trying to disarm the American people.....then :fp:

You say disarm... I say protect. It's how you look at the situation, Aerial.

He'll likely leave you your hunting rifles and shotguns... maybe even registered handguns for the most qualified people. He just wants to get the military style weapons- you know... the ones designed at taking out as many people as possible during armed conflict. Won't this be enough?

I mean... I realize M-16s and AK-47s are really cool guns, but man... they sure can kill a lot of people in very little time. You don't want them out there for just any old person to acquire do you? Look what happens when you do? Aurora. Sandy Hook. Yikes. You don't want another one of those episodes do you?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    aerial wrote:

, Biden’s group has expanded its focus to include measures that would not need congressional approval and could be quickly implemented by executive action

Lest anyone believe the U.S. delegation official’s promise to Reuters that “we will not accept any treaty that infringes on the constitutional rights of our citizens to bear arms,” consider the fact that a report issued after the conclusion of the last Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) conference in July listed the goal of the agreement to be UN control of the “manufacture, control, trafficking, circulation, brokering and trade, as well as tracing, finance, collection and destruction of small arms and light weapons.”

That is a very comprehensive attack on “all aspects” of gun trade and ownership. Notably, the phrase “in all aspects” occurs 38 times in the draft of the ATT. The United Nations will control the purchase of guns and ammo, the possession of guns and ammo, and any guns and ammo not willingly surrendered to the UN will be tracked, seized, and destroyed.

safer america....

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    aerial wrote:

He'll likely leave you your hunting rifles and shotguns... maybe even registered handguns for the most qualified people. He just wants to get the military style weapons- you know... the ones designed at taking out as many people as possible during armed conflict. Won't this be enough?

I mean... I realize M-16s and AK-47s are really cool guns, but man... they sure can kill a lot of people in very little time. You don't want them out there for just any old person to acquire do you? Look what happens when you do? Aurora. Sandy Hook. Yikes. You don't want another one of those episodes do you?

No I do not want this to happen again. It is the criminals that do these things not law abiding citizens. The problem is we can not stop such atrocities unless the average citizen can helps others and is able to stop these type of crimes using there gun to kill the bad guy. The police can not stop this they can only respond. Could Timothy McVeigh be stopped. People wanting to commit these types of atrocities will find a way...
    That being said These things look like Red Flags.....http://www.westernjournalism.com/are-recent-shootings-really-the-work-of-lone-wolf-gunmen/
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    aerial wrote:

No I do not want this to happen again. It is the criminals that do these things not law abiding citizens. The problem is we can not stop such atrocities unless the average citizen can helps others and is able to stop these type of crimes using there gun to kill the bad guy. The police can not stop this they can only respond. Could Timothy McVeigh be stopped. People wanting to commit these types of atrocities will find a way...
    That being said These things look like Red Flags.....http://www.westernjournalism.com/are-recent-shootings-really-the-work-of-lone-wolf-gunmen/

the new criminal is the white mass murderer that hasnt got a criminal history... at the very least lets try something.... for godsake.

• Options
    I agree, lets try personal responsibility. Why is that so wrong?
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,066
    aerial wrote:
    That doesn't appear to be working.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    aerial wrote:

Can we say the reason being is , to many people rely on the Government?
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    aerial wrote:
    aerial wrote:

That's a ridiculous thing to say. What do mean "let's try personal responsibility"? Does that mean keep everything as is, and if someone kills someone with a gun, they should go to jail? I'm pretty sure that's how things are at the moment.
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,066
    aerial wrote:
    aerial wrote:

Only if you have evidence. Did Adam Lanza's irresponsible mother not secure her guns because she was a communist or something?
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    so newtown happened because of the government? or because too many people are reliant on welfare or the government???? How does this make sense at all? 10, 000 gun murders in the US per year and you think personal responsibility is the way to go... people aren't taking responsibility and their is no policy or law that can reinforce personal responsibility as humans being violent is inherent...

• Options
    aerial wrote:

This is such an oversimplification it's not even funny.

Get serious.
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    aerial wrote:

And this is ridiculous. Is this the best you got?
  • Options
    I knew I would get some interesting responses ;)

• Options
    Lets see if we can compromise on something.....here we go!

I will agree to give up all semi and fully automatic weapons.....if you....

agree to let us build a big wall on the southern border and strengthen our port security and border security around the nation with all the troops we bring home.

Now thats a compromise! Until we secure ourselves...and block the inflow of guns from Mexican drug cartels...then we give up our guns.
    Theres no time like the present

A man that stands for nothing....will fall for anything!

All people need to do more on every level!
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    reagan-on-gun-control-7-20-2012.jpg
  • Options
    Lets see if we can compromise on something.....here we go!

I will agree to give up all semi and fully automatic weapons.....if you....

agree to let us build a big wall on the southern border and strengthen our port security and border security around the nation with all the troops we bring home.

Now thats a compromise! Until we secure ourselves...and block the inflow of guns from Mexican drug cartels...then we give up our guns.

agreed that we need to stop the inflow of illegal weapons... yes but thats not the issue when talking mass murders as they are always legally purchased guns..

• Options
    reagan-on-gun-control-7-20-2012.jpg

if Ronals Regen visited other westernized countries in the 2013 he may have changed his mind.

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    aerial wrote:

First underlined sentence: wrong. Adam Lanza was law abiding, until... Va tech shooter, Crazy Colorado shooter: all law abiding, until...

Second underlined: I really wish folks wouldnt assume so much. Yes, these people were determined to wreak havoc and kill people. They chose AR-15s and the like because they were easily available and held the most potential to kill a massive amount of people in a short time. Why cant gun owners compromise just a bit and test the waters by banning the AR-15s? These weapons were banned for awhile, and the law abiding gun owners were able to live their lives without too much inconvenience :?

The way I see it, you want guns to defend yourself...a handgun or shotgun should do the job. unless you think 20-30 people are coming for you and you need an AR-15. When the AR-15 is used in an offensive, its has proved to be an extremely deadly weapon for a huge amount of people in a short time.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    how about not allowing those on psych drugs to have guns...all those that are prescribed anti-depressants or other type drugs are entered into a database
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    aerial wrote:

First underlined sentence: wrong. Adam Lanza was law abiding, until... Va tech shooter, Crazy Colorado shooter: all law abiding, until...

Second underlined: I really wish folks wouldnt assume so much. Yes, these people were determined to wreak havoc and kill people. They chose AR-15s and the like because they were easily available and held the most potential to kill a massive amount of people in a short time. Why cant gun owners compromise just a bit and test the waters by banning the AR-15s? These weapons were banned for awhile, and the law abiding gun owners were able to live their lives without too much inconvenience :?

The way I see it, you want guns to defend yourself...a handgun or shotgun should do the job. unless you think 20-30 people are coming for you and you need an AR-15. When the AR-15 is used in an offensive, its has proved to be an extremely deadly weapon for a huge amount of people in a short time.
    Cho used two firearms during the attacks
    a .22-caliber Walther P22 semi-automatic handgun and a 9 mm semi-automatic Glock 19 handgun
    handgun
    handgun
  • Options
    aerial wrote:

Cho used two firearms during the attacks
    a .22-caliber Walther P22 semi-automatic handgun and a 9 mm semi-automatic Glock 19 handgun
    handgun
    handgun

Exactly. That's why handguns and assault rifles need to be legislated.

Thanks for supporting 95% of this forum's position.
  • Options
    MoonpigMoonpig Posts: 659
    aerial wrote:

Holy shit this is what some of you are scared of? The U.N!!!

The way a few of you have been going on, I had thought there was some James Bondesk evil doer with his army of minions, plotting elaborate ways of destroying freedom and and .... well all the other waffle some of you spout on a daily basis.

But fuck me, it all comes down to a fear that the blue hats are coming to take everything over, that is fucking hilarious, it really is. The do nothing, over bloated, always late to the party, legislate for every fucking outcome, only takes one major dipshit to veto every fucking thing UN. Shit you guys are crazy.

Why don't you google the UN and their effectivness, that should put your worries to rest. Hahahahaha the fucking UN, imagine....

I swear I don't know how some of you go about your days without withering into the feotle position at the sight of your own shadows.

Thanks, that's just the laugh I needed to get me started for the day. You crazy cats
  • Options
    aerial wrote:

Unfortunately, everybody is born a law abiding citizen. Inevitably, some stray from that path. Providing easy, virtually unfettered access to a wide assortment of incredibly dangerous weaponry simply makes it easier. Under US law, pretty much everyone is a responsible gun owner until they become frightened, paranoid, angry, or suffer some sort of meltdown and let their frustration be heard through a gun. Accidental deaths, suicides and even murders are often committed by so-called responsible, law abiding citizens. Of course, once they commit their crime the rest of you gun owners immediately distance yourselves from them.

Yes, people will find a way to commit murder. Of course, in the United States the easiest path to committing a murder is to buy or steal a gun. Still, I keep hearing this wonderful myth about the responsible gun owner. The only problem I have with that is that such a large portion of the population is completely and utterly irresponsible. Of course, as soon as one of these 'responsible' owners falls off the wagon everybody else goes in to self defence mode and tries to differentiate their situation with the situation of the so-called 'once-responsible owner' who is now a heinous criminal.

Your country continues to have a gun problem unique amongst developed nations and anecdotal stories of old ladies who shoot intruders won't change that. From an outsider's perspective, America seems to be the land of irresponsibility when it comes to gun ownership.