Working in USA from UK.

Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm trying to work in USA (I'm from the UK). I just wondered if anyone had got a job out from the the UK or if anyone had any advice.

Obviously USA is massive and I'm looking for something in the DC area more specifically but let's just see if anyone replies!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    What line of work?

Ever been to the states before?

Why DC?

DC kinda sucks...
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    mca47 wrote:
    What line of work?

Why DC?

DC kinda sucks...

IT Support - Got Bachelors degree n 15 months experience.

Had my 1st birthday there. Been there like 7+ times..East coast, west coast, Wisconsin ;)

Girlfriend lives in VA. Just got back from 1 month and a half there.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,843
    Brisk. wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    What line of work?

Why DC?

DC kinda sucks...

Had my 1st birthday there. Been there like 7+ times..East coast, west coast, Wisconsin ;)

and you didnt find a job then?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    What line of work?

Why DC?

DC kinda sucks...

and you didnt find a job then?

I had a few interviews but the VISA cap had already been met. Doesn't open again till April 1st so planning on going in March to try and get the ball rolling.
    were any of those companies interested in you and willing to wait til it opened up again?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    were any of those companies interested in you and willing to wait til it opened up again?

Yeah one company was super interested, just sucks about the cap had been met. Plus I read businesses have to fork out 4000 dollars in total for all the fees so it's costly for them too.

argggh its so hard.
    well good luck.

Guess in the meantime you could start contacting companies trying to get something set up in the meantime? At least it gives you some time to research.

mickeyrat wrote:
    well good luck.

Guess in the meantime you could start contacting companies trying to get something set up in the meantime? At least it gives you some time to research.

Thank you.

yeah that's what I'm trying to do but i tend to find employers just look for people ASAP and trying to sort out a job for even a month in advance is rather hopeless. O well!
    Brisk. wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    well good luck.

Thank you.

yeah that's what I'm trying to do but i tend to find employers just look for people ASAP and trying to sort out a job for even a month in advance is rather hopeless. O well!
    true. You can research who is in town or near that area. Also keep on eye on who and how often they hire for that kind of position. Those maybe the companies to steer clear of.

And do ask again closer , it always helps to have others on the look out!!