Gluten Free Goodies.

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,673
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
After reading a fair amount lately about how unhealthy modern day wheat is (pretty much all wheat is now genetically modified- but I'm not suggesting a discussion about pros and cons of GMO's here...please!) and the various problems gluten can cause in many people, I've been on the look out for gluten free goodies. One of my favorite finds so far is Mary's Gone Crackers crackers. Beside that fact that I love the name, they are REALLY good!

I hate to sound like an advertisement but if your thinking of going gluten reduced or gluten free you might want to check out these tasty organic, gluten-free, vegan, nut-free, dairy-free, non-GMO, Kosher crackers:

http://www.marysgonecrackers.com/

Other suggestion? :)
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    Oh hell...I have a ton. I eat gluten free about 95% of the time.

My newest find is almond thins. Love them.
  • brianlux wrote:
    After reading a fair amount lately about how unhealthy modern day wheat is (pretty much all wheat is now genetically modified- but I'm not suggesting a discussion about pros and cons of GMO's here...please!) and the various problems gluten can cause in many people, I've been on the look out for gluten free goodies. One of my favorite finds so far is Mary's Gone Crackers crackers. Beside that fact that I love the name, they are REALLY good!

I hate to sound like an advertisement but if your thinking of going gluten reduced or gluten free you might want to check out these tasty organic, gluten-free, vegan, nut-free, dairy-free, non-GMO, Kosher crackers:

Just acomment on above. My mam had Ceoliac disease for 15 years. She had to adhere to a v strict GF diet. For those who do not have the condition it isnot a good idea to follow a GF diet. Cut back on wheat by all means but its not the same thing at all. In fact if u do follow a pure GF diet without having Ceoliac D then the little hairs on lining of your stomach can become intolerant to gluten and could cause Ceoliac disease to develop.

It is not known why ceoliac disease occurs but it is thought, like cancer, some people are genetically prone to it. Often a shock to the system like trauma or extreme change in diet can trigger same. Also because gluten is absent from GF often hydrogenated fat is used as a binder

So i can only say my advice is unless you have ceoliac d then i wouldnt cut out gluten totally

Cheers

Johnny
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,673
    brianlux wrote:

Just acomment on above. My mam had Ceoliac disease for 15 years. She had to adhere to a v strict GF diet. For those who do not have the condition it isnot a good idea to follow a GF diet. Cut back on wheat by all means but its not the same thing at all. In fact if u do follow a pure GF diet without having Ceoliac D then the little hairs on lining of your stomach can become intolerant to gluten and could cause Ceoliac disease to develop.

It is not known why ceoliac disease occurs but it is thought, like cancer, some people are genetically prone to it. Often a shock to the system like trauma or extreme change in diet can trigger same. Also because gluten is absent from GF often hydrogenated fat is used as a binder

So i can only say my advice is unless you have ceoliac d then i wouldnt cut out gluten totally

Cheers

Johnny

Thanks Johnny. I didn't know that. Can you (or anyone) post some links that talk about this? I couldn't find any information- not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to read more about it. Meanwhile, I'll proceed with caution- thanks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,843
    as with anything, moderation is key. I think at that point , we could look at whats what.

I do find it strange though that some breads, whos main ingredient is wheat flour, has listed further on down gluten as another seperate ingredient?

Is gluten somehow lost in the grinding to flour process?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    i've only tried the sugar and chocolate chip cookies so far.

http://www.drlucys.com/cookies
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Yeah, unless you actually have Ceoliac disease, going gluten-free is nonsense. I have read that most "gluten-free" foods are higher in calories and fat because they have to replace the gluten with some other food binder.

This whole gluten-free fad is just that, a fad. For most people, a pointless diet attempt.

Just eat healthy and workout most of the time is all you have to do.
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    you can be gluten intolerant/gluten sensitive and not have celiac.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Yeah, unless you actually have Ceoliac disease, going gluten-free is nonsense. I have read that most "gluten-free" foods are higher in calories and fat because they have to replace the gluten with some other food binder.

This whole gluten-free fad is just that, a fad. For most people, a pointless diet attempt.

Just eat healthy and workout most of the time is all you have to do.

I agree.