10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,254

pjhawks said:

Can Chip Kelly come back to Philly please?

why, you afraid Wentz might be the real deal?
    Ha, well no. I won't be nervous about a D2 QB until he proves it, which I don't really expect. But all the other moves have been aggressive and pretty good, I think. Then again, your coach is stupid

i know it's against Cleveland, still looked decent though.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,468
    Well.....I could not be more pleased with how this season started today. Helluva debut by both Wentz and Ederson. D looked good. Great to see Agholar play like that. Makes you feel a little better about the future.

GO.
    BIRDS.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291

Well.....I could not be more pleased with how this season started today. Helluva debut by both Wentz and Ederson. D looked good. Great to see Agholar play like that. Makes you feel a little better about the future.

GO.
    BIRDS.

does it make you feel good to mock (i am assuming you are mocking him and not being dumb) the coaches name?

thanks to the NFL for allowing the Birds to play one of the 2 or 3 worst teams in the league to start. man that Browns team sucks.

who would have predicted after his rookie year that RGIII would be this bad.

Obviously can see the physical tools that Wentz has. the 2 td passes were perfect throws and things of beauty. nice to see how comfortable he looked.

this team still drops too many passes. about 5 again today. even sproles with a couple.

i hate kickers.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    pjhawks said:

GO.
    BIRDS.

does it make you feel good to mock (i am assuming you are mocking him and not being dumb) the coaches name?
    yes. old habits from 16 years ago die hard.

GO.
    BIRDS.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Nice start, fun time at the stadium yesterday. It's been a while for that.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831
    edited September 2016
    Pleasantly surprised as well. I guess if you're going to start your rookie QB after one preseason game then there's no team better to start against than the Cleve.

Tell ya what, though, aside from Wentz, there's nothing I can really take away about this team. If they lost to Cleveland it would tell me a hell of a lot more about this team than any drubbing of the Browns.
  • Options
    Keep it up, Doug

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-eagles/unlike-andy-reid-doug-pederson-showed-hell-stick-run-game

UNLIKE ANDY REID, DOUG PEDERSON SHOWED HE'LL STICK WITH RUN GAME By Reuben Frank | CSNPhilly.com September 13, 2016 11:30 AM 17 4 Comments The rushing yards were, for the most part, hard to come by Sunday
    afternoon. Ryan Mathews ran 22 times, averaged 3.5 yards per carry and didn’t have a run over seven yards. And Doug Pederson did something that his former boss, Andy Reid, wouldn’t have done. He stuck with the run. The Eagles averaged only 3.9 yards per carry in their 29-10 win over the Browns, but Pederson remained committed to the running attack and it paid off. The Eagles controlled the clock, controlled the game, controlled the Browns, and found their way to 1-0 with a quarterback making his first NFL start. Reid was notorious for abandoning the running game at the first sign of trouble, and it cost him. Pederson, who played for Reid and coached under Reid both here and in Kansas City, appears to have learned the value of sticking with the running game by watching his former boss. “I think the hard thing for any play-caller is to stay patient with the run game,” Pederson said. “Sometimes you abandon it too soon when things aren't going so well. If you keep throwing ... mud against the wall, eventually something is going to stick.” Mathews’ numbers are deceptive. Yeah, he averaged only 3.5 yards per carry, but he kept moving forward, he kept the clock going and he certainly ran physically tough, helping to wear down the Browns. His fourth-quarter touchdown turned a 12-point lead into a 19-point lead. “Tough game,” Mathews said. “Some tough sledding.” But this is the value of sticking with the running game even when it’s not producing huge results. “You’ve just got to keep hammering away and chiseling away and eventually something's going to give,” Pederson said. “And it just opens up the rest of the game plan.” Reid never would have given a guy 22 carries if he was averaging 3.5 yards a pop. In fact, from 2000 through 2010, no Eagles back had 22 or more carries and averaged 3.5 yards per carry or lower. Kenjon Barner helped out with a career-high 42 rushing yards on just four carries. Sproles ran five times for just 12 yards, and rookie Wendell Smallwood gained one yard on his one carry. In all, the Eagles ran 34 times for 133 yards and held the football for nearly 40 minutes. That certainly took a lot of pressure off rookie quarterback Carson Wentz, who threw for 278 yards and two touchdowns in his NFL debut. “It aids in everything you do offensively,” Pederson said of the running game. “[Mathews] is such a powerful back. A lot of times, those runs are up inside the tackle-box area and we had a couple chances just off-tackle to make some big gains. “Kenjon made a couple of nice runs. Darren made a couple nice runs. But to keep feeding a guy like Ryan, he's so powerful and punishing that (at some point) it's going to take a toll defensively.

” Mathews has never had more than 144 yards in a game, but when he carries 20 or more times, he’s gained 74 or more yards 17 out of 18 games. So he won’t have those huge games like Shady used to, but he’ll almost always keep the chains moving. Mathews got more than 13 carries only once last year, when he was buried behind DeMarco Murray. But if he stays healthy, Pederson will keep feeding him the rock this year, something he hasn’t had since 2013 in San Diego, when he rushed for over 1,200 yards. “It’s nice,” Mathews said. “You still have to prepare either way. We have a lot of good running backs with K.B., Smallwood, Sproles — we’re all getting carries and giving different looks. We’re all ready when our number’s called. “But it’s nice to get in there and start getting a rhythm going and feel everything out.” A young quarterback’s best friend is his offensive line, but the running game isn’t far behind, and with Wentz severely limited in reps and experience, Pederson seems determined to protect him as much as possible with an authoritative ground attack. “It’s good to start with the running game,” Mathews said. “They like to run the ball and I do too. It’s good to start with and I think it’s going to take a little bit of pressure off 11.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    ah good to see the obsession with Andy from the media and fans continues. let's hope this coach works out better than the last savior the media and some of you fans championed. one game against a terrible team does not a trend make.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Knew that would draw a comment from you. It's noteworthy, obviously, since Reid is his pass happy mentor.

I liked how he called the game on Sunday. Had a nice balance and flow to it. Great start...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Knew that would draw a comment from you. It's noteworthy, obviously, since Reid is his pass happy mentor.

I liked how he called the game on Sunday. Had a nice balance and flow to it. Great start...

love the media and fans. more interested in Reid's run/pass ratio than his actual number of wins. maybe we will get back to 5 NFC title games someday.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    pjhawks said:

love the media and fans. more interested in Reid's run/pass ratio than his actual number of wins. maybe we will get back to 5 NFC title games someday.
    His first 5 years here were very good. Last decade--eh, okay at best.

The article is relevant for obvious reasons. I assume he will be compared to his mentor for quite a while...just like any other coach coming from someone else's coaching tree is (probably even more so since Reid lobbied for him to get the job here). That is normal and just the way it is.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    I love this commercial as well.
    Watched it during one of the games with our 11 yr old nephew. A few reactions he hadL

First: As the commercial started. Is this what video games used to look like? oh. my. god!
    Next: Why wouldn't he just run everyone over with his car?

(Ummmm. Maybe because we don't try to kill people in football, Mr 11 yr old?!!!)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

pjhawks said:

The article is relevant for obvious reasons. I assume he will be compared to his mentor for quite a while...just like any other coach coming from someone else's coaching tree is (probably even more so since Reid lobbied for him to get the job here). That is normal and just the way it is.
    how soon they forget. if only there was an easy way to look information up these days...oh wait...

12-4 NFC Title game
    13-3 Super Bowl appearance
    6-10
    10-6
    8-8
    9-6-1
    11-5
    10-6
    8-8
    4-12

so his last 'decade here there were 5 years of 10+ wins, 1 with 9, 2 with 8 and 2 losing seasons. Even after Super Bowl season 4 playoff appearances and 3 playoff wins in 8 years. yup that qualifies as just 'eh' - i mean wtf? and you wonder why it annoys me when fans and media insist on taking shots at the guy. it's terrible memories or just plain stupidity. 2 bad years at the end sure but to say a decade was just 'eh' is asinine.

ps: he has currently won 11 straight regular season games.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    edited September 2016
    It was never as good as it was from 2000-2004.
    2000 - 11-5
    2001 - 11-5
    2002 - 12-4
    2003 - 12-4
    2004 - 13-3

After that 2009 did get back to 11-5 but I think what caused Andy problems was how consistently good the Eagles were for that 5 year stretch.

When you go through that stretch and only equal your lowest point of success 1 year out of the next 8 years? You are going to get fired. Seems logical.

Most Eagles fans I know like Reid, they just thought it was time to try something else. He obviously had good players, was a good coach, and was the Head Coach for 14 years. He didn't get the ring.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

how soon they forget. if only there was an easy way to look information up these days...oh wait...

12-4 NFC Title game
    6-10
    10-6
    8-8
    9-6-1
    11-5
    10-6
    8-8
    4-12

so his last 'decade here there were 5 years of 10+ wins, 1 with 9, 2 with 8 and 2 losing seasons. Even after Super Bowl season 4 playoff appearances and 3 playoff wins in 8 years. yup that qualifies as just 'eh' - i mean wtf? and you wonder why it annoys me when fans and media insist on taking shots at the guy. it's terrible memories or just plain stupidity. 2 bad years at the end sure but to say a decade was just 'eh' is asinine.

66-61-1.

That is .515% winning percentage in his last almost decade here since '04.

8.1 wins per year.

How's that not "eh" or mediocre to you, dude? It is literally the definition of mediocre. He's won 3 or 4 playoff games since George W Bush's first term in office. You know how long ago that was?

Not sure why you get your panties in such a bunch whenever someone brings up Andy Reid. He was very good for the first 4 or 5 years here. Things were awesome in the early part of the 2000's. Nobody denies that. But to pretend like his "greatness" continued all the way until 2012 is laughable (and coming from someone who always derided the manager across the street who actually won something makes it even more laughable).

If Doug has half the amount of success Reid had through 2004, I'd be happy. But I'd like to think he will he will not only take the good things and expand on them but learn from all of things Reid did poorly....such as his over dependence on the pass which is simply why this article was written.

Simple stuff here.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

2000 - 11-5
    2001 - 11-5
    2002 - 12-4
    2003 - 12-4
    2004 - 13-3

After that 2009 did get back to 11-5 but I think what caused Andy problems was how consistently good the Eagles were for that 5 year stretch.

When you go through that stretch and only equal your lowest point of success 1 year out of the next 8 years? You are going to get fired. Seems logical.

Most Eagles fans I know like Reid, they just thought it was time to try something else. He obviously had good players, was a good coach, and was the Head Coach for 14 years. He didn't get the ring.

You're too rational to be posting in the Philly threads. Haha

I was one of the guy's biggest supporters up through the '09 season. But things run their course and I think he overstayed his welcome by a few years.

Most people are rational and can respect the amount of success he had here. Some are foolish and think he and McNabb sucked just because of their last memories of them. And some are on the other end of the spectrum, like Hawks, who seem to want to erect a statue for him. As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

I love this commercial as well.
    Watched it during one of the games with our 11 yr old nephew. A few reactions he hadL

First: As the commercial started. Is this what video games used to look like? oh. my. god!
    Next: Why wouldn't he just run everyone over with his car?

(Ummmm. Maybe because we don't try to kill people in football, Mr 11 yr old?!!!)

That's funny. I'm totally getting the new nintendo classic system that's coming out soon. Told my wife to get it for me for Christmas. I feel like an 11 year old. ha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I want that system too.
    I'm also 3 martinis in and making the 4th. So whatever I post is subject to drunken idiot talk. (See, 4 years here and I am a Philly guy)
  • Options
    edited September 2016

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

12-4 NFC Title game
    6-10
    10-6
    8-8
    9-6-1
    11-5
    10-6
    8-8
    4-12

66-61-1.

That is .515% winning percentage in his last almost decade here since '04.

8.1 wins per year.

How's that not "eh" or mediocre to you, dude? It is literally the definition of mediocre. He's won 3 or 4 playoff games since George W Bush's first term in office. You know how long ago that was?

Not sure why you get your panties in such a bunch whenever someone brings up Andy Reid. He was very good for the first 4 or 5 years here. Things were awesome in the early part of the 2000's. Nobody denies that. But to pretend like his "greatness" continued all the way until 2012 is laughable (and coming from someone who always derided the manager across the street who actually won something makes it even more laughable).

If Doug has half the amount of success Reid had through 2004, I'd be happy. But I'd like to think he will he will not only take the good things and expand on them but learn from all of things Reid did poorly...such as his over dependence on the pass which is simply why this article was written.

Simple stuff here.
    fyi: half of Andy's success through 2004 would be just over 5 wins a year on average.

run/pass ratio is a tired stupid argument that people bring up because they got nothing else. Andy's run/pass ratio has allowed him to become one of only 5 ( think it was) coaches who have won 10 or more games 10 or more times in an NFL regular season. so yea i don't think his run/pass ratio has hurt his career at all. still winning games at the NFL level too.

edit: has this franchise ever only had 2 losing seasons in an 8 year period that was Andy's last 8 years here?
  • Options

2000 - 11-5
    2001 - 11-5
    2002 - 12-4
    2003 - 12-4
    2004 - 13-3

I was one of the guy's biggest supporters up through the '09 season. But things run their course and I think he overstayed his welcome by a few years.

Most people are rational and can respect the amount of success he had here. Some are foolish and think he and McNabb sucked just because of their last memories of them. And some are on the other end of the spectrum, like Hawks, who seem to want to erect a statue for him. As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle.
    holy shit i'm irrational because i think highly of the greatest coach and QB in modern franchise history? seriously dude, WTF?????

will you apologize when Canton comes calling for Andy and possibly Donovan?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    pjhawks said:

2000 - 11-5
    2001 - 11-5
    2002 - 12-4
    2003 - 12-4
    2004 - 13-3

holy shit i'm irrational because i think highly of the greatest coach and QB in modern franchise history? seriously dude, WTF?????

Lots of question marks there. Settle down.

I think highly of him too. But I'm rational enough to realize the last 8 years he spent here were filled with largely mediocre football and poor personnel decisions like hiring his offensive line coach to coordinate the defense.

Donovan is on the shortlist this year but probably won't get in. Andy may get the call if he wins a super bowl....otherwise he'll be one of those borderline coaches like Reeves, and Schottenheimer (and to be clear, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being in the same class as those guys). ---for those scoring at home, that is a rational point of view.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831

pjhawks said:

2000 - 11-5
    2001 - 11-5
    2002 - 12-4
    2003 - 12-4
    2004 - 13-3

Lots of question marks there. Settle down.

I think highly of him too. But I'm rational enough to realize the last 8 years he spent here were filled with largely mediocre football and poor personnel decisions like hiring his offensive line coach to coordinate the defense.

Donovan is on the shortlist this year but probably won't get in. Andy may get the call if he wins a super bowl....otherwise he'll be one of those borderline coaches like Reeves, and Schottenheimer (and to be clear, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being in the same class as those guys). ---for those scoring at home, that is a rational point of view.
    FUCK THAT. Scorch me with some hot takes!
  • Options
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    A few of my friends traveled to Chicago for the game. They're kind of hoping they don't get shot
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

A few of my friends traveled to Chicago for the game. They're kind of hoping they don't get shot

only kind of hoping? which means part of them are hoping to get shot? :rofl:

If I had to pick tonight's game I'd say Bears win this one 24-19 but honestly have no feel for this one.
  • Options
    CARSON

CITY
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    next week is the big test for him and the birds.

Go Eagles!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD