******** YOUR PHILADELPHIA EAGLES ********

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Whomever is responsible for having all the Philly threads closed, please stop.

I'm not gonna name names, but there is one person here who loves to run and tell on people

As for this offseason...I don't like any moves they have made other than bringing gamble in. Vick, a college coach with no nfl pedigree, and a bunch of browns coaches doesn't instill much confidence. As for the player personnel stuff (outside of vick, who we all know sucks), I am going to give them a pass because we don't know what systems they are implementing on either side of the ball....plus the offseason is far from complete.

The draft should be fascinating. I keep hearing EJ Manuel's name, which makes me shake my head since he stinks. anyone have any preferences at the 4 spot?

I hope nnamdi gets cut. I do agree with juggler...get rid of most of the reid era guys and completely start over.

I'm really trying to go into the kelly era with an open mind. Based on what I've seen and what I know about kelly, it's tough for me not to be apprehensive. hopefully the remainder of the offseason leads to better things
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    The Fixer wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

I'm not gonna name names, but there is one person here who loves to run and tell on people

As for this offseason...I don't like any moves they have made other than bringing gamble in. Vick, a college coach with no nfl pedigree, and a bunch of browns coaches doesn't instill much confidence. As for the player personnel stuff (outside of vick, who we all know sucks), I am going to give them a pass because we don't know what systems they are implementing on either side of the ball....plus the offseason is far from complete.

The draft should be fascinating. I keep hearing EJ Manuel's name, which makes me shake my head since he stinks. anyone have any preferences at the 4 spot?

I hope nnamdi gets cut. I do agree with juggler...get rid of most of the reid era guys and completely start over.

I'm really trying to go into the kelly era with an open mind. Based on what I've seen and what I know about kelly, it's tough for me not to be apprehensive. hopefully the remainder of the offseason leads to better things

Hey, the Browns should've beaten us last year. Remember that dropped INT right in their LB's gut. If we only lost that game, we may have gone winless.

I can't and won't really comment on the draft until after FA.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Hey, the Browns should've beaten us last year. Remember that dropped INT right in their LB's gut. If we only lost that game, we may have gone winless.

I can't and won't really comment on the draft until after FA.

Yep. The browns dropped about six picks that game. If someone asked me to summarize vick as a qb I would give them the game tape of that browns game...just ignore the fact that the eagles won the game.

kelly keeping him around really is the worst case scenario. ugh
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    wouldn't mind taking a look at sean smith...

http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2013/03 ... ee-agency/
    A Look At the Eagles’ CB Options In Free Agency
    Posted by Sheil Kapadia on March 1, 2013 at 11:01 am | 28 Comments

When the Eagles are officially able to start adding players on March 12, rebuilding an underachieving secondary will be near the top of their list of priorities.

The draft will be critical, especially this year with a deep group of safeties and several starting-caliber corners. But that doesn’t mean Howie Roseman is just going to sit on the sidelines and observe during free agency. This is not an either/or situation. The Eagles have money to spend and holes to fill. They will likely address the secondary in free agency and the draft.

Keeping that in mind, who are their options at cornerback? It seems probable that they’ll just let Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie walk, and Nnamdi Asomugha too, unless they agree to a re-structured contract.

Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com recently put out a list of the top 85 free agents, and it includes 12 cornerbacks. Below is a table with all 12, including age, height, weight and career games started.
    Age Ht. Wt. Games Started
    Sean Smith, MIA 25 6-3 218 56
    Brent Grimes, ATL 29 5-10 183 43
    Aqib Talib, NE 27 6-1 205 50
    Chris Houston, DET 28 5-11 178 78
    Keenan Lewis, PIT 26 6-0 208 17
    Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, PHI 26 6-2 182 54
    Derek Cox, JAX 26 6-1 195 45
    Adam Jones, CIN 29 5-10 189 47
    Cary Williams, BAL 28 6-1 190 33
    Bradley Fletcher, STL 26 6-0 200 26
    Antoine Cason, SD 26 6-1 195 49
    Mike Jenkins, DAL 27 5-10 198 48

Rosenthal has different categories for the free agents. Under Solid starters, he has Smith (22nd overall), Grimes (23rd), Talib (24th), Houston (27th) and Lewis (28th).

The Eagles reportedly will have some interest in Smith at the right price. He’s been inconsistent, but has good size, is young and has upside. Grimes, meanwhile, is coming off a torn Achilles’ and could sign a one-year deal. The Philadelphia native could be a “band-aid” option for 2013.

Talib has had share of off-the-field issues. Given the locker room problems the Eagles had last year, he doesn’t make much sense for this team. Houston is the most-experienced of the group and is only 28. Lewis is an intriguing name. He’s only been a full-time starter for one full season, has good size and is 26. Rosenthal called him the Steelers’ “best cover corner” last season.

The next group are Starters with questions, and that has Rodgers-Cromartie (38th) and Cox (53rd). The funny thing about DRC is he’s the classic “looks great on paper” player. He’s young, has size and speed, and has been to a Pro Bowl. Yet we know from watching him last year that he shies away from contact, is a horrible tackler and gets beat too often for someone with his skill set.

Cox, meanwhile, is another interesting name. He has good size, good experience and is only 26. But Cox has had trouble staying healthy. He missed four games last season because of hamstring and back issues. And Cox has missed 17 games the past three seasons due to injury.

In the Effective in the right role category, Rosenthal has Jones (56th), Williams (59th), Fletcher (61st), Cason (70th) and Jenkins (74th). Williams started 16 games last season for the Super Bowl champs, but is not considered a top-tier option. Cason is a former first-round pick, who is young and has good size. Fletcher is only 26, but has started just eight games the past two seasons. Jones (turns 30 in September) and Jenkins (not very good anymore) don’t seem like great options.

Here are performance numbers from last year, courtesy of Pro Football Focus:

Targets Completion % TDs INTs QB Rating
    Sean Smith, MIA 113 54.9% 6 2 85.1
    Brent Grimes, ATL (2012) 56 44.6% 2 1 62.9
    Aqib Talib, NE 80 65.0% 3 2 98.7
    Chris Houston, DET 94 56.4% 3 2 78.7
    Keenan Lewis, PIT 112 52.7% 3 0 80.7
    Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, PHI 81 56.8% 5 3 87.7
    Derek Cox, JAX 89 60.7% 1 4 69.0
    Adam Jones, CIN 69 53.6% 2 0 81.9
    Cary Williams, BAL 135 64.4% 7 6 89.1
    Bradley Fletcher, STL 34 47.1% 1 1 55.8
    Antoine Cason, SD 97 67.0% 5 2 98.0
    Mike Jenkins, DAL 27 63.0% 1 0 101.6

Some things that stand out:

* Smith had a good opponents’ completion percentage (54.9) and missed just four tackles all season, but only four corners allowed more touchdowns last season.

* Grimes’ numbers are from 2011 since he was injured last season.

* Houston’s charting numbers were really good in 2011 too. Football Outsiders measures success rate: the percentage of passes that don’t manage to get at least 45 percent of needed yards on first down, 60 percent of needed yards on second down, or 100 percent of needed yards on third down. Houston had a success rate of 60 percent in 2011, which ranked 18th in the NFL.

* Lewis led the league with 16 passes defensed, but also had eight penalties last season (tied for seventh-most).

* Cox only played six games in 2011, but had a spectacular success rate (74 percent). It was good in 2010 also (53 percent). On the flip side, he missed 15 tackles last season, per PFF, third-most among all cornerbacks.

* A couple other names that did not make Rosenthal’s list: Greg Toler and E.J. Biggers. Toler (6-0, 192) is 28 and has spent his career with the Arizona Cardinals. But he’s only started two games the past two seasons. Biggers (6-0, 185) is 25 and has played four seasons in Tampa.

* As you can see, there are quite a few young cornerbacks with good physical tools on the market. The Eagles aren’t going to make the splash they did before the 2011 season, but look for them to pursue at least one of the defensive backs on the list above.
    - See more at: http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2013/03 ... 0dCYo.dpuf
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    wouldn't mind taking a look at sean smith...

http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2013/03 ... ee-agency/
    A Look At the Eagles’ CB Options In Free Agency
    Posted by Sheil Kapadia on March 1, 2013 at 11:01 am | 28 Comments

When the Eagles are officially able to start adding players on March 12, rebuilding an underachieving secondary will be near the top of their list of priorities.

The draft will be critical, especially this year with a deep group of safeties and several starting-caliber corners. But that doesn’t mean Howie Roseman is just going to sit on the sidelines and observe during free agency. This is not an either/or situation. The Eagles have money to spend and holes to fill. They will likely address the secondary in free agency and the draft.

Keeping that in mind, who are their options at cornerback? It seems probable that they’ll just let Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie walk, and Nnamdi Asomugha too, unless they agree to a re-structured contract.

Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com recently put out a list of the top 85 free agents, and it includes 12 cornerbacks. Below is a table with all 12, including age, height, weight and career games started.
    Age Ht. Wt. Games Started
    Sean Smith, MIA 25 6-3 218 56
    Brent Grimes, ATL 29 5-10 183 43
    Aqib Talib, NE 27 6-1 205 50
    Chris Houston, DET 28 5-11 178 78
    Keenan Lewis, PIT 26 6-0 208 17
    Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, PHI 26 6-2 182 54
    Derek Cox, JAX 26 6-1 195 45
    Adam Jones, CIN 29 5-10 189 47
    Cary Williams, BAL 28 6-1 190 33
    Bradley Fletcher, STL 26 6-0 200 26
    Antoine Cason, SD 26 6-1 195 49
    Mike Jenkins, DAL 27 5-10 198 48

Rosenthal has different categories for the free agents. Under Solid starters, he has Smith (22nd overall), Grimes (23rd), Talib (24th), Houston (27th) and Lewis (28th).

The Eagles reportedly will have some interest in Smith at the right price. He’s been inconsistent, but has good size, is young and has upside. Grimes, meanwhile, is coming off a torn Achilles’ and could sign a one-year deal. The Philadelphia native could be a “band-aid” option for 2013.

Talib has had share of off-the-field issues. Given the locker room problems the Eagles had last year, he doesn’t make much sense for this team. Houston is the most-experienced of the group and is only 28. Lewis is an intriguing name. He’s only been a full-time starter for one full season, has good size and is 26. Rosenthal called him the Steelers’ “best cover corner” last season.

The next group are Starters with questions, and that has Rodgers-Cromartie (38th) and Cox (53rd). The funny thing about DRC is he’s the classic “looks great on paper” player. He’s young, has size and speed, and has been to a Pro Bowl. Yet we know from watching him last year that he shies away from contact, is a horrible tackler and gets beat too often for someone with his skill set.

Cox, meanwhile, is another interesting name. He has good size, good experience and is only 26. But Cox has had trouble staying healthy. He missed four games last season because of hamstring and back issues. And Cox has missed 17 games the past three seasons due to injury.

In the Effective in the right role category, Rosenthal has Jones (56th), Williams (59th), Fletcher (61st), Cason (70th) and Jenkins (74th). Williams started 16 games last season for the Super Bowl champs, but is not considered a top-tier option. Cason is a former first-round pick, who is young and has good size. Fletcher is only 26, but has started just eight games the past two seasons. Jones (turns 30 in September) and Jenkins (not very good anymore) don’t seem like great options.

Here are performance numbers from last year, courtesy of Pro Football Focus:

Targets Completion % TDs INTs QB Rating
    Sean Smith, MIA 113 54.9% 6 2 85.1
    Brent Grimes, ATL (2012) 56 44.6% 2 1 62.9
    Aqib Talib, NE 80 65.0% 3 2 98.7
    Chris Houston, DET 94 56.4% 3 2 78.7
    Keenan Lewis, PIT 112 52.7% 3 0 80.7
    Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, PHI 81 56.8% 5 3 87.7
    Derek Cox, JAX 89 60.7% 1 4 69.0
    Adam Jones, CIN 69 53.6% 2 0 81.9
    Cary Williams, BAL 135 64.4% 7 6 89.1
    Bradley Fletcher, STL 34 47.1% 1 1 55.8
    Antoine Cason, SD 97 67.0% 5 2 98.0
    Mike Jenkins, DAL 27 63.0% 1 0 101.6

Some things that stand out:

* Smith had a good opponents’ completion percentage (54.9) and missed just four tackles all season, but only four corners allowed more touchdowns last season.

* Grimes’ numbers are from 2011 since he was injured last season.

* Houston’s charting numbers were really good in 2011 too. Football Outsiders measures success rate: the percentage of passes that don’t manage to get at least 45 percent of needed yards on first down, 60 percent of needed yards on second down, or 100 percent of needed yards on third down. Houston had a success rate of 60 percent in 2011, which ranked 18th in the NFL.

* Lewis led the league with 16 passes defensed, but also had eight penalties last season (tied for seventh-most).

* Cox only played six games in 2011, but had a spectacular success rate (74 percent). It was good in 2010 also (53 percent). On the flip side, he missed 15 tackles last season, per PFF, third-most among all cornerbacks.

* A couple other names that did not make Rosenthal’s list: Greg Toler and E.J. Biggers. Toler (6-0, 192) is 28 and has spent his career with the Arizona Cardinals. But he’s only started two games the past two seasons. Biggers (6-0, 185) is 25 and has played four seasons in Tampa.

* As you can see, there are quite a few young cornerbacks with good physical tools on the market. The Eagles aren’t going to make the splash they did before the 2011 season, but look for them to pursue at least one of the defensive backs on the list above.
    - See more at: http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2013/03 ... 0dCYo.dpuf
    The dude got burnt a lot this year from what i was told. Not sure we need another over paid cb. There's gotta be a reason why Mia hasn't resigned him yet.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

bunch of homer crap

oregon lost to an inferior opponent just last year -- at home too. I guess the author conveniently forgot about that game
    The Fixer wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

bunch of homer crap

oregon lost to an inferior opponent just last year -- at home too. I guess the author conveniently forgot about that game

and if the article stated the opposite and bashed everything he did there, would you call the writer bitter?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

bunch of homer crap

and if the article stated the opposite and bashed everything he did there, would you call the writer bitter?

yep. he had success while at oregon, so that wouldn't make much sense.

sorry, I don't enjoy hyperbole
    Correct, he had success. Was he supposed to write about how everything Chip did, did not work?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,168
    JK_Livin wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

bunch of homer crap

to me the article lost all credibility when the guy stated we can look forward to multiple super bowl titles based on what he did at oregon...where he never won a title.
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Correct, he had success. Was he supposed to write about how everything Chip did, did not work?

all I'm saying is that it was over the top..completely subjective. you gotta agree with that right?
    The Fixer wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

all I'm saying is that it was over the top..completely subjective. you gotta agree with that right?

Agreed. Watch your relish intake!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    i can't wait for all of these super bowls :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    The Philadelphia Inquirer passes along a rumor that Eagles GM Howie Roseman is "crunching numbers" and "putting together an offer" to acquire Darrelle Revis.
    It would make plenty of sense. The Eagles are sickly thin at the cornerback position with the impending and inevitable departures of Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, and they have a boat load of cap space in order to meet Revis' salary demands. Beat writer Jeff McLane speculates Philly could package the No. 35 overall pick with a future pick to entice the Jets. New York is reportedly "determined" to trade Revis prior the the draft.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Bye bye Nnamdi. Unreal how that worked out.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    i like that they've gone after a bunch of role players. guys that can also contribute on special teams as opposed to the failed 2011 strategy.

james casey is a quality pickup. always have liked him. can play full back or tight end. like the pats, the birds will probably be using a ton of 2 tight end sets next year.

fletcher--i've read that he's a good cover corner. injury concerns though

sopoaga--bit older, big run stopper nt. ate up a lot of blockers for willis and bowman. be nice if they can bring jean-francois in as well.

chung and phillips--not sure about chung starting, but it's at least good depth. phillips may push chaney and mathews in camp.

i wonder if they will make a push for goldson...just try and pick off as many niners as they can :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Not bad. I have a cousin named Bradley Fletcher.

Have you guys seen this about Casey. A really good story.
    http://t.co/9axfWw5517
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,168
    JK_Livin wrote:

worst free agent ever? my god he was awful and incredibly soft.
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

It really looked like he didn't want to play.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

It really looked like he didn't want to play.

i'm having a hard time thinking of a worse free agent by the eagles. all that hype. that contract....and we got basically nothing for it.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    i've been critical of roseman over the years and wasn't a big fan of the chip kelly hire but i gotta say, i really like what they've done in free agency. they've gotten rid of dead weight and added a bunch of solid players to rebuild with.

williams is a good pickup. starter for a super bowl winner. connor barlow- i think his numbers dipped last year because the texans dropped him into coverage a lot more. but only 26 years old and can rush the quarterback.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    i've been critical of roseman over the years and wasn't a big fan of the chip kelly hire but i gotta say, i really like what they've done in free agency. they've gotten rid of dead weight and added a bunch of solid players to rebuild with.

williams is a good pickup. starter for a super bowl winner. connor barlow- i think his numbers dipped last year because the texans dropped him into coverage a lot more. but only 26 years old and can rush the quarterback.

I agree. Solid moves. Nothing fancy. One of my friends is dying to get Revis and is unimpressed with all their signings. He wants a big name. He has a very short memory. I said to him, why spend all the money on 2 guys when you need to replace 30?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    It appears that the Jets are putting themselves in position for Johnny Football.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer

I agree. I like the way there going with this so far. Guy's on there 2nd contract who won't break the bank put have a winning background. Williams worries me a little as he did get picked on last year for over 1,000yds. Barwin should be a good pickup and starter in this new DEF.
    Go Birds!!!!
    and all these contracts are extremely manageable.

if they wanted to go after revis, they would not have a problem paying him. they're still well below the cap and have gotten all of their free agents minus a few here and there between now and the draft.

it obviously just depends on what you give up. i'm kind of out of the loop right now but if the asking price drops to a 2nd plus a conditional pick next year or something, i'd pull the trigger on that.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    sucks that training camp is moving to the nova care complex. i understand why they are doing it. but so many people look forward to making the trip to lehigh every year.

we used to tailgate at the crack of dawn up there during the reid mcnabb glory days. no more.
    chinese-happy.jpg

connor barlow :lol::lol::lol: . gotta love people who pretend to know what they're talking about...but don't even know what the guys' names are. awesome.

I do like most of the FA moves. Esp chung and phillips. Chung is a beast on special teams and is a solid safety. Hopefully these guys can stay healthy and we aren't forced to watch nate allen in eagle green ever again.

I also love the james casey signing. kelly will use him like he used colt lyerla (google him), who is an absolute beast.

now they just need a QB (still holding out hope that vick gets traded during the draft)

also, I think KC has had a great offseason. I think they will give denver all they can handle in that division.

I don't agree with all of the offseason decisions this team has made, but at least they seem to have a plan in place.
    sucks that training camp is moving to the nova care complex. i understand why they are doing it. but so many people look forward to making the trip to lehigh every year.

we used to tailgate at the crack of dawn up there during the reid mcnabb glory days. no more.

It doesn't affect me either way where camp is located. I think that more people will have the opportunity to see the team now because of this.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

It doesn't affect me either way where camp is located. I think that more people will have the opportunity to see the team now because of this.

yeah your right. i just have a lot of cool memories about training camp--both from being a kid and having mom and dad drive us out to west chester...then as drunken kid in my 20's when the team was real good 10 years ago.

i have a feeling it's not going to be quite the same at nova care and the linc.
    chinese-happy.jpg