Options

2% Tax Raise

know1know1 Posts: 6,763
edited January 2013 in A Moving Train
Just got the email from HR this morning that our next paychecks will have a 2% increase in taxes due to the social security tax being raised.

I thought they weren't going to raise taxes on middle class Americans?

Our government is evil.
The only people we should try to get even with...
...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    I think the real problem is our governments inability to work with each other. The President actually called for extending the payroll tax "holiday" but it was not accepted as part of the final fiscal deal. Why do we keep electing these people into office when they care nothing about the future of America but rather seem to only want to advance their own agenda.

NPR ran an interesting bit about this:
    http://www.npr.org/2013/01/01/168417033/cliff-deal-would-end-payroll-tax-holiday
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:
    Why do we keep electing these people into office when they care nothing about the future of America but rather seem to only want to advance their own agenda.

This is the same question I'm screaming. I personally voted against ALL incumbents - no matter what party - in the last 2 elections. I don't understand why there isn't a big movement for everyone to do the same.

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    know1 wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:
    Why do we keep electing these people into office when they care nothing about the future of America but rather seem to only want to advance their own agenda.

This is the same question I'm screaming. I personally voted against ALL incumbents - no matter what party - in the last 2 elections. I don't understand why there isn't a big movement for everyone to do the same.

People hate congress as a whole, but love their own representatives.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Go Beavers wrote:
    BINGO!!!
    The basic sentiment in America is, "Vote the bastards out!!! (while I vote for the guy I voted for last time because I recognize his name)."
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Cosmo wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:
    BINGO!!!
    The basic sentiment in America is, "Vote the bastards out!!! (while I vote for the guy I voted for last time because I recognize his name)."

Right! Pretty soon we have guys sitting there for decades!
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Taxes are going up for everyone.

Seriously, there is no way for the country to move forward without raising taxes. Why is it that no one sees this?!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:
    BINGO!!!

Well, it is exactly right, but I have a different view on the reason - it's that folks like when they get stuff, but not when others get stuff. So, when Chuck E. Cheese is able to get NY a big chunk of change (Sandy relief aside, though not entirely b/c anyone could have lobbied that one), NYers love him. But, when West Virginia Coal Mines get a break, NYers hate Congress.

I like my pork. I just don't like your pork.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:

Seriously, there is no way for the country to move forward without raising taxes. Why is it that no one sees this?!

There is - reduce entitlement programs. For, example, this 2% is directly to fund Social Security instead of borrowing from the general "fund" (Which really doesn't exist since it seems more than half the population is just fine with Trillion $ a year deficits).

Not saying Soc Sec should be effected (But not saying it shouldn't). Just answering your query. The Republicans see the answer to your question. But, you don't seem to like the answer.

Cut spending. You can move forward without raising taxes.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    Just got the email from HR this morning that our next paychecks will have a 2% increase in taxes due to the social security tax being raised.

Our government is evil.
    From what I understand... the Social Security taxes are not 'being raised', they are returning to the levels they were at prior to G.W.Bush's cuts. That was part of the magic of the Bush era... we seemed to be doing better because we weren't paying for things, in this case, funding Social Security.
    Think about it this way... you set aside money to replace the roof on your house, 15 years from now. For the past 10 years, instead of putting away that money, you spent it on things you like... like ice cream and Sizzler dinners. Life was good because you were eating at Sizzler all the time and having ice cream for dessert.
    But, you weren't funding the future cost of a roof replacement and it is coming time to replace that roof. So, you re-start your previous savings habit and are forced to give up the Sizzler dinners and ice cream desserts.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    just got my first paycheck of 2013. Slight decrease...office manager doesnt even know why. She said its SS, but I asked if it was payroll and she didnt know. Glad we're so informed. SS? Hope I can claim it one day.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    know1 wrote:

Our government is evil.
    From what I understand... the Social Security taxes are not 'being raised', they are returning to the levels they were at prior to G.W.Bush's cuts. That was part of the magic of the Bush era... we seemed to be doing better because we weren't paying for things, in this case, funding Social Security.
    Think about it this way... you set aside money to replace the roof on your house, 15 years from now. For the past 10 years, instead of putting away that money, you spent it on things you like... like ice cream and Sizzler dinners. Life was good because you were eating at Sizzler all the time and having ice cream for dessert.
    But, you weren't funding the future cost of a roof replacement and it is coming time to replace that roof. So, you re-start your previous savings habit and are forced to give up the Sizzler dinners and ice cream desserts.

Wrong. The 2% holiday was approved in 2011. But, keep trying. Kind of funny that even tax reductions are being BLAMED on Bush.
  • Options
    Wrong. The 2% holiday was approved in 2011. But, keep trying. Kind of funny that even tax reductions are being BLAMED on Bush.
    I stand corrected.
    Thank you for that.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    New Study Destroys Theory That Tax Cuts Spur Growth

http://www.businessinsider.com/study-ta ... z2GwQDJBHd

THE TRUTH ABOUT TAXES: History Suggests High Tax Rates On Rich People Do Not Hurt The Economy

http://www.businessinsider.com/history- ... very-low-1
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:

There is - reduce entitlement programs. For, example, this 2% is directly to fund Social Security instead of borrowing from the general "fund" (Which really doesn't exist since it seems more than half the population is just fine with Trillion $ a year deficits).

Not saying Soc Sec should be effected (But not saying it shouldn't). Just answering your query. The Republicans see the answer to your question. But, you don't seem to like the answer.

No, you and republicans don't like the answer, because it means tax cuts aren't increasing.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    why must social security and medicare be pre-funded but not wars? how come i never hear talk about wars being insolvent in 201x?

the DoD budget was cut $24B about 5%...
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    why must social security and medicare be pre-funded but not wars? how come i never hear talk about wars being insolvent in 201x?

What fun would going to war for no reason be... if we had to pay for it? That's the reason why we have kids.... so we can blow stuff up on their dime. I think Iran has some stuff that we want to blow up... so get busy parents... make more kids so we can blow up more shit.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    know1 wrote:

Our government is evil.
    interesting. got the same email.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,776
    know1 wrote:

Our government is evil.
    umm wasnt this 2% a temp cut anyway? JUST like the Bush cuts?

This 2% is a restoration of previous levels. JUst like the Bush Cuts SHOULD have been. On everybody.

Oh and cut some fucking spending too. EVERYWHERE!!!!!

This was a bullshit fucking deal meant to secure their fucking seats next election cycle. Nothing more.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    know1 wrote:

Our government is evil.

This 2% is a restoration of previous levels. JUst like the Bush Cuts SHOULD have been. On everybody.

This was a bullshit fucking deal meant to secure their fucking seats next election cycle. Nothing more.

AND WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT???
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,776
    JC29856 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    know1 wrote:

Our government is evil.

AND WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT???
    At this point if its a warm body that has never run before I'll vote anti-incumbent. Living in Ohio the district I'm in is a lock for milktoast party hack Tiberi. I saw 2 ads(same ran twice) period for this fuck.

I'd like to enact a particular soundgarden song/. Guess which one.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Employers have been paying full match over the years while employees enjoyed
    a break on their Federal Social Security rate that is now going back up.

Can it be the employers turn now? Boost the economy ... I thought not.
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    know1 wrote:

Our government is evil.

That's just spin. It's raising taxes. I cannot be convinced otherwise.

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    At this point if its a warm body that has never run before I'll vote anti-incumbent. Living in Ohio the district I'm in is a lock for milktoast party hack Tiberi. I saw 2 ads(same ran twice) period for this fuck.

We need to get more people to do this. I've done it 2 elections in a row, but I don't think anyone else is.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mickeyrat wrote:
    I'd like to enact a particular soundgarden song/. Guess which one.
    :P
    tycobb.jpg
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

No, you and republicans don't like the answer, because it means tax cuts aren't increasing.

How much revenue are the taxes bringing in? How much is the deficit THIS year? It's not even spitting in the ocean.

So, are you saying taxes should have gone up for everyone?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    Jeanwah wrote:

Was there a serious, detailed Republican plan to cut spending?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    Jeanwah wrote:

Because so much money is wasted now; people think why give the government more.
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:

According to the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office, the legislation that http://washington.cbslocal.com, at a cost of $7 million to taxpayers, raises $43 in new taxes for every $1 in so-called spending cuts.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/038541_tax_d ... z2GwyEpIH2
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    That's just spin. It's raising taxes. I cannot be convinced otherwise.
    No. I did have it wrong... but, the 2% rate change is a return to previous levels:
    (ref. http://www.savingtoinvest.com/2010/12/2 ... ended.html )
    "As part of Bush-era tax cuts extension legislation (Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010), a number of new tax breaks were made available. One was a temporary one year cut in employee payroll taxes, which funds Social Security and Medicare, of 2% during 2011. The current rate is 6.2%, which will be 4.2% of wages paid next year, and equates to a $1000 saving for the average American employee."

Also...
    (ref. http://www.nfsnet.com/2012/02/social-se ... in-at.html )
    Congress has voted in favor of extending for the entire year of 2012 the temporary reduction in the employee's portion of the Social Security tax. Currently, employees pay 4.2% of their wages in Social Security taxes, a rate that has been in effect since January 2011 and was scheduled to expire at the end of February 2012. HR 3630, the Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012, extends this 4.2% rate through the end of 2012.

So, you were paying 6.2%... which was temporarily cut to 4.2% during the Bush Administration... extended for 2011... and again for 2012... and has returned to 6.2%.
    Now... what you did with that 2% during that period... that's up for a spin.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    It is through taxes that a government obtains revenue. This is basic math.

I don't understand why the 2% was decreased in the first place. Social security is hurting the way it is....so what do we do? CUT revenue to it? wtf?

your subject line is deceiving by the way. There is no "2% tax raise". Its merely putting the 6.2% social security tax back to where it was forever. Or at least since 1986. I think.

Everybody celebrates "tax cuts" without realizing all we're doing is robbing from our children & grandchildren & their children. Somebody's gonna have to pay.....

And politicians play on our stupidity by "celebrating" "tax cuts" and use them as bargaining chips. And we all play along....yay! We're all stupid!

Sorry if I offended anybody who bemoans this "2% tax raise"......