Science Books (and inspiration and creativity)

JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Awhile back I bought a book by Michio Kaku (some of you know Im a big fan). It was called Beyond Einstein. It was a very tough read (string theory), but quite rewarding. I actually gave up on reading it for awhile, then went back to it with the intentions of reading it slowly, and to read every sentence and paragraph twice. It was a great experience, and in the time I was reading it, I found myself to feel very creative and inspired. :idea:

Basically, I'm looking to see if anyone else has had the same experience with books, preferably science related. :)
Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• davidtrios wrote:

:lol: very nice. fitting.

I just ordered The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality by Brian Greene. I hope its good.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    I was a big science geek when I was younger, but then became old and cynical. Several years ago, though, I stumbled upon Phil Plait's blog and got sucked back in. Read a lot of sciencey type books in the last 10 years or so ... a couple I stopped and started again.

I'm currently part-way through Physics of the Impossible by Kaku, and have a mountain of other books I have yet to read.

Last week, I ordered a few from Amazon that I'm expected to get later this month: Physics of Star Trek, From Here to Eternity, Breaking the Time Barrier, and 13 Things That Don't Make Sense. Can't wait to dive into them!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • kw18 wrote:
    I was a big science geek when I was younger, but then became old and cynical. Several years ago, though, I stumbled upon Phil Plait's blog and got sucked back in. Read a lot of sciencey type books in the last 10 years or so ... a couple I stopped and started again.

I'm currently part-way through Physics of the Impossible by Kaku, and have a mountain of other books I have yet to read.

Last week, I ordered a few from Amazon that I'm expected to get later this month: Physics of Star Trek, From Here to Eternity, Breaking the Time Barrier, and 13 Things That Don't Make Sense. Can't wait to dive into them!

Nice..those sound good. Im going to look them up!
  • Anyone else have suggestions?...(or commonly referred to as "bump")
    I just started 13 Things That Don't Make Sense this weekend. It's pretty good, and still fairly relevent/current (it was published in 2008, I believe). I knew about half the stuff in the book, but not all the details. It's a short read, too; only about 200 pages. I should finish it up by tomorrow.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • kw18 wrote:
    I just started 13 Things That Don't Make Sense this weekend. It's pretty good, and still fairly relevent/current (it was published in 2008, I believe). I knew about half the stuff in the book, but not all the details. It's a short read, too; only about 200 pages. I should finish it up by tomorrow.

That looks interesting. Looks like mixed reviews on Amazon though.
    How was Physics of the Impossible? Have you read other books by Kaku? If so, how did Physics of the Impossible stack up?
    kw18 wrote:

How was Physics of the Impossible? Have you read other books by Kaku? If so, how did Physics of the Impossible stack up?

Physics of the Impossible is the first of Kaku's I've ever read. Haven't finished it. It, um, kind of fell by the wayside. :fp: Not that it's a bad book -- it's not. Just the holidays came and I wanted to read some fiction stuff, and then I just got 13 Things and wanted to dive right in to that ... you know how it is. I'll be picking it up again soon, and I'll let you know how it is.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • kw18 wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

Physics of the Impossible is the first of Kaku's I've ever read. Haven't finished it. It, um, kind of fell by the wayside. :fp: Not that it's a bad book -- it's not. Just the holidays came and I wanted to read some fiction stuff, and then I just got 13 Things and wanted to dive right in to that ... you know how it is. I'll be picking it up again soon, and I'll let you know how it is.

I have another book of Kakus, and I was unable to finish it too. Is writing is chaotic at times. I don't blame ya