why some people get drunk like every day?

dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I was yesterday at dinner and a family member was drinking alot..
Anyway.we chat about it after he ask me to put him another whiskey,by saying..'
'Hey Dimitris put me another whiskey..i dont have anything better to do'
So i ask himwhy he say that and he said he just likes to drink..
"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
"..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
“..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I think I've consumed booze everyday for the last week.
    Vacation and holiday...

What of it?!? :lol:

Never drunk though...
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    I was yesterday at dinner and a family member was drinking alot..
    Anyway.we chat about it after he ask me to put him another whiskey,by saying..'
    'Hey Dimitris put me another whiskey..i dont have anything better to do'
    So i ask himwhy he say that and he said he just likes to drink..

don't have the answer, dimi
    i used to drink
    a lot
    i just finally got tired of the hangovers
    some people have to hit bottom and there's nothing you or anyone can do until they are ready to face it
    it will be good for him then, to know he has your support
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I hate to call somebody I've never met an alcoholic, but that tends to be the case with people who get drunk (not just have some drinks) every day. I'm sure there are some exceptions though. And maybe that's a little too black & white of an answer, but it's a possibility.

I used to know a guy who got drunk every day, he had a real problem. He died in his late 20's from a combination of alcoholic hepatitis and cirrhosis of the liver. In college I thought nothing about his drinking (I wasn't exactly a choir boy myself) but he drank like it was college long afterward. The doctors couldn't believe how bad his liver was for his age, they said it looked like some old man who had been drinking for decades. That leads me to believe that maybe he had a weak liver coming out of the gates though, because I'm not sure he drank THAT much. But I don't know what he did behind closed doors. I still don't know how he managed to hold down a good job and actually be a contributing member of society with that kind of problem, but he did.

Hopefully none of that is the case with your family member though. Maybe he was just living it up for the holidays. Like I said, I don't know the guy.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    It's no secret that I'm a fan of the booze...but I could never get drunk every day.

"It's not a party if it happens every night"
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:

"It's not a party if it happens every night"

amen

• great replies guys.thanks
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    If someone drinks everyday - I call that a drinking problem.... :) I'd even say an alcoholic.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    mikalina wrote:
    If someone drinks everyday - I call that a drinking problem.... :) I'd even say an alcoholic.
    Even A glass of wine with dinner? :?
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    People drink everyday because they can. At least here in the US. As long as you don't infringe on anyone else safety or rights...drink up.
    mca47 wrote:
    mikalina wrote:
    Even A glass of wine with dinner? :?

i smoke weed everyday if i have it
    right now i don't have it
    i'm not trembling or convulsing or puking or wringing my hands over when i'll have more
    (may have even lost a pound or two :mrgreen: )

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    I think a glass of wine with dinner most days is OK (but I'm not positive)

Drinking whiskey till you don't know which way is up or down every day is not OK. Sounds like Dimi is talking about the latter.

I once asked a good friend why he drinks so much, he said it helps him feel less inhibited, more social and enhances his enjoyment in most things. Another friend (or ex friend I should say) said the same thing about cocaine. :cry:
  • drinking every day and getting drunk every day are two completely different things. having a glass of wine (or a beer) or two a day is nothing. getting drunk every day? that's a problem. a REAL problem. that's what my sister's husband does, and she threw him out of the house a few weeks ago. he showed up at xmas dinner last night, claiming he's finally turning over a new leaf.

then my wife saw the fucker not an hour later putting down the vodka bottle on the bar just as she came down the stairs (he was downstairs playing with his son and my daughters). all alcoholics and druggies are liars. that's lesson #1.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    all alcoholics and druggies are liars. that's lesson #1.

There's an old saying: “An alcoholic will steal your wallet and lie to you. A drug addict will steal your wallet and then help you look for it.” I always found that funny because I actually had a friend who had a drug problem steal my wallet and help me look for it. I wouldn't have known if he hadn't entered a 12 Step program and told me about it as part of his program years later. He gave me a brand new Packers wallet that was cooler than the old one with $45 (what was in my missing wallet) in it for his restitution to me, so it was all good.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,845
    who can say why.

Some can drink daily with zero reprecussions.

others , like myself, well we're better people when we dont. At all.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:

Since you're a truck driver, we're all better (living) people for you not drinking every day. The last thing I need is you and the Pork Chop Express crashing through my living room some Sunday morning.
    mickeyrat wrote:

Since you're a truck driver, we're all better (living) people for you not drinking every day. The last thing I need is you and the Pork Chop Express crashing through my living room some Sunday morning.
    true, and its only since I stopped drinking/drugging thta i was able to be responsible enought to do this work.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    its only since I stopped drinking/drugging thta i was able to be responsible enought to do this work.

If you ever fall off the wagon you can always just become a pilot.
  • Personally, I think most of my hobbies are better with a few rum and cokes.. Then a few beers. ;)
    I was drinking every other day for awhile but decided to stop for a few months just to get healthy and change things up

I put a lot of thought into it lately because I've lost a few friends because they abused alcohol. One of them was one of the best musicians i ever played with but he simply drank because he was bored and he was very awkward in public and to people he didn't know. I'd be surprised if he was still alive.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • my best friend,dont get drunk every day,but he always have atleast a glass of alchohol every day
    I don't get it..i used to drink a lot,but not every day
  • Dimitris, I wish I'd seen this thread while my sister-in-law was here for Christmas. She is a recovering alcoholic with nearly 12 years of sobriety. She is very involved in AA and I'm sure could provide a lot of insight to this subject.

I think there are complicated reasons why people feel they need to drink to excess but none of them are good. I'm told that people who are alcoholics are confused by social drinkers, like "How can they drink so little? How can they leave a drink unfinished?"

For Christmas dinner, out of respect for my SIL, we didn't serve any alcohol. Nobody objected and we all had a great time! I don't care if people drink; alcohol can be enjoyable. But I worry when someone believes they need to drink to have a good time.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • drinking every day and getting drunk every day are two completely different things. having a glass of wine (or a beer) or two a day is nothing. getting drunk every day? that's a problem. a REAL problem. that's what my sister's husband does, and she threw him out of the house a few weeks ago. he showed up at xmas dinner last night, claiming he's finally turning over a new leaf.

then my wife saw the fucker not an hour later putting down the vodka bottle on the bar just as she came down the stairs (he was downstairs playing with his son and my daughters). all alcoholics and druggies are liars. that's lesson #1.

And manipulators.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Dimitris, I wish I'd seen this thread while my sister-in-law was here for Christmas. She is a recovering alcoholic with nearly 12 years of sobriety. She is very involved in AA and I'm sure could provide a lot of insight to this subject.

I think there are complicated reasons why people feel they need to drink to excess but none of them are good. I'm told that people who are alcoholics are confused by social drinkers, like "How can they drink so little? How can they leave a drink unfinished?"

For Christmas dinner, out of respect for my SIL, we didn't serve any alcohol. Nobody objected and we all had a great time! I don't care if people drink; alcohol can be enjoyable. But I worry when someone believes they need to drink to have a good time.
    Congrats to Sis!!!

I for one cant understand leaving anything in a glass. Baffles me. Its like its a waste of alcohol or something.

In some cases Dimi, there is no why, there just is.

It'd be easy for me to say yeah he is o risnt an alky, but it doesnty matter what I d=say about soemone elses drinking. If THEY believe or come to believe that alcohol has become or is a problem in their lives, thats when I or anyone could maybe be of some help. until then, stand back and hope for the best.

• Probably the same reason some people get posting on a messageboard like every day.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Probably the same reason some people get posting on a messageboard like every day.
    :lol:

you know this is true ... alcohol is a habit like any other, when abused it's a problem.
    Abused being ... effects personal relationships, your job, your health, your safety.

Even for those couple of drinks a day folk
    it's good to break the habit now and then to make sure you can,
    to relax and enjoy clear headed.
  • mickeyrat wrote:
    Dimitris, I wish I'd seen this thread while my sister-in-law was here for Christmas. She is a recovering alcoholic with nearly 12 years of sobriety. She is very involved in AA and I'm sure could provide a lot of insight to this subject.

Congrats to Sis!!!
    You bet! We are so proud of her and so happy to have her in our lives.

Congrats to you too. I only know you from your posts but I get the feeling life is good for you now.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • mickeyrat wrote:

Congrats to Sis!!!
    You bet! We are so proud of her and so happy to have her in our lives.

Congrats to you too. I only know you from your posts but I get the feeling life is good for you now.
    i really like those 2 positives posts..congrats to your Sis Carolyn,and to you buddy..stay stronge