Did I say the wrong thing?

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Having a discussion with my colleague about how girls lower themselves to be accepted.
I was talking about how in many rap and rnb clips girls dance like strippers and I said they need some self respect.
My colleague took offense and said that I don't see it from their point of view, they could have been told they are ugly or they feel pressured by media and society to dress/act the way they do.
Am I wrong here?
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I'm not a woman, but I think it's a little more complicated than both sides of the discussion. Every woman is different, as are her reasons for doing what she does. I'm sure some women have no self respect, some are pressured, and some probably just like to do it an maybe feel empowered or some shit. I don't know. But you can't really make a generalization about all woman, it doesn't work. All people are different. And women are technically people I guess. ;)
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    Yeah, I don't think it's that simple. Some women may act like that because of self-esteem issues, some might do it because they actually just love the kind of attention it gets them, seeking fame of some sort, genuinely like the look/culture/scene, etc etc etc. So many reasons. Women are complicated and varied. I don't think you can ever paint female behaviour with the same brush! ;) ... Although sometimes they are easier to read than others. I don't really think this is one of those times. One general thing I will say is that I think they must be somewhat lacking in an understanding of just how others perceive them.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    For some reason, I thought of Soul Train and American Bandstand - where people just danced because they were so inclined, and not in essence to show the world "hey! this is what I'd look like if I were riding some guy or meeting the back-door man".

I think many young girls have gone astray (responsible mothers and fathers, where the fuck are you?) and believe that THAT kind of attention is worthy of them, and worthy of those who give it.

I don't think you're wrong at all, TA, especially since yours was an honest (and spot-on) answer.

I dunno. Granted, my teens were in the 80s but I still experienced peer pressure. And despite fucking up a time or two, the barometer of "you don't need to sink that low" was always in sight...thankfully so.
  • Thank you for your feedback.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    Thank you for your feedback.
    Oh, btw, whatever you said, it wasn't the "wrong thing"... I mean, it wasn't offensive or anything like that. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    Thank you for your feedback.
    Oh, btw, whatever you said, it wasn't the "wrong thing"... I mean, it wasn't offensive or anything like that. :)

;)