Buying things for people...

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Seriously sucks!

I'm trying to get something for my parents for Christmas and I have absolutely no idea of what to get them.
They have everything.
Got them an iPad last year. Went to Best Buy, walked around...found nothing.
Everything they need is lame...like their crappy toaster. I am NOT getting anyone a fn toaster! :lol:

Gift cards are the worst and most unthoughtful gift you can give someone.

I hate getting gift certificates.

F!

Stupid holiday!

Any thoughts anyone...?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Maybe a weekend at a nice hotel? Give them a couple of days away from the house even if the hotel is local to them.
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    I have the exact same problem. My parents don't really need or want anything. My mom already has three friggin' iPads for Christ's sake.

What they really need is for me to hire them a handyman to fix all of my dad's half-assed home improvement projects.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    JTH wrote:

What they really need is for me to hire them a handyman to fix all of my dad's half-assed home improvement projects.

:lol:
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    DS1119 wrote:
    Maybe a weekend at a nice hotel? Give them a couple of days away from the house even if the hotel is local to them.
    well played
    good thinkin

question: why can't you get them a new toaster beings theirs is a piece of shit toaster? toasters these days are badass and with many to choose from. extra wide for bagels. 2 slices on each side making for a 4 slice total toaster. some are quite fancy.

what about getting them a standard nice ol' toaster with a card taped to it and inside the card is a weekend get away at the hotel like DS had suggested, yes/no?

get those blue gel packs you freeze up and they get hard & stay cold and act like ice for a cooler or a twisted ass knee or ankle?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I really like DS's idea...especially if they already have enough 'stuff'. Or...my dream gift...hire a cleaning service to do a top-to-bottom in their house to give them a break from cleaning
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    I'm not sure why anyone would want to stay in a hotel. I do it all the time for work and it sucks! :lol:
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I like receiving gift cards with a small something personal.
    A tree ornament, a new cd, warm snuzzy footies, whatever.
    It's the best of both worlds.
    I also like cards with mushy sentiment especially from my kids.
    I actually like to cry.

The restaurant gift cards are really nice for an evening out free.
    We like those :D Party!
  • I much prefer money. :P
    Stuff gift cards, just give me money.

My sisters idea for our Mum's Christmas present this year was to get a painting commissioned.
    All three of us older kids put money in for it.
    This particular artist lets you send a photo or a picture of an object that is significant to the person.

So my Mum is getting this amazing painting of one of our childhood toys. Sounds corny, but it is really cute and the painting turned out better than expected.

8295657878_93b8dfd547_n.jpg
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Shopping for parents is the worst! Hate it every year. We gave them 4 grandkids...what more do they need. ;) I usually give them lots of pictures of our kids and something I have made them. Lame sounding I know, but its what our parents like. This year it is gift cards to their favorite places to eat out, with the standard pics. I like the get away idea...I hope my kids do that for me when they have jobs and can`t think of a gift I need.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    mca47 wrote:
    I'm not sure why anyone would want to stay in a hotel. I do it all the time for work and it sucks! :lol:

Clearly they're not putting you up in the right places ;)
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Clearly they're not putting you up in the right places ;)
    I put myself up Missy! :D
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Hire a chef to come and prepare a nice meal for them.

Or if they like music, engage a cellist, violinist, what have you, to play at their home for half an hour.

If they have a favorite charity or cause, make a donation in their name.

Arrange for in-home massages!

Write them a letter of some of your favorite memories of them and with them.
  • Quality booze
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    hedonist wrote:
    Hire a chef to come and prepare a nice meal for them.

Or if they like music, engage a cellist, violinist, what have you, to play at their home for half an hour.

If they have a favorite charity or cause, make a donation in their name.

Arrange for in-home massages!

Write them a letter of some of your favorite memories of them and with them.
    you live in a large city...

in rural ass iowa who the frig is a chef for hire?
    violinist, celloist hired to play at their home for 1/2 hr? not gonna happen. but maybe we have fiddle players in iowa city or des moines 2 and 4 hrs away
    charity donations in their name? donate to their kids or chip in to buy some kid a bike
    in home massage? really? this = a full on happy ending 17 times over & with revisits back in the sticks
    3/4 of the population of iowans can't read or write so instead they eat, sniff & drink meth ;)
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    mca47 wrote:
    Seriously sucks!

I'm trying to get something for my parents for Christmas and I have absolutely no idea of what to get them.
    They have everything.
    Got them an iPad last year. Went to Best Buy, walked around...found nothing.
    Everything they need is lame...like their crappy toaster. I am NOT getting anyone a fn toaster! :lol:

Gift cards are the worst and most unthoughtful gift you can give someone.

I hate getting gift certificates.

F!

Stupid holiday!

Any thoughts anyone...?

This post is the EXACT reason why I dislike Christmas as much as I do.
    Gifts and stress about BUYING presents.
    Be grateful you are in a position to purchase them anything.
    I GUARANTEE your 'presence' with your parents is WAY more important than the 'presents' you purchase for them.
    Sorry you think gift cards suck. They actually rock and give the receiver the ability to purchase anything they please/like/choose - instead of being stuck with a gift they may not want, and may feel even worse returning.
    Christmas = bah humbug. I say start a petition for "Thanksgiving 2" and I'd be the first to sign it.
    Merry Xmas and good luck with your gift buying. As a parent, I 'm sure whatever they get from you will be great. Don't stress brother...Ain't what this holiday is ANYTHING about.
    (The hot dog and bun toaster thing-a-majig is cool :))
    A nice restaurant they dig, a movie, some tickets to a play, etc...will work and they'll dig it = guaranteed.
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    chadwick wrote:
    you live in a large city...

in rural ass iowa who the frig is a chef for hire?
    violinist, celloist hired to play at their home for 1/2 hr? not gonna happen. but maybe we have fiddle players in iowa city or des moines 2 and 4 hrs away
    charity donations in their name? donate to their kids or chip in to buy some kid a bike
    in home massage? really? this = a full on happy ending 17 times over & with revisits back in the sticks
    3/4 of the population of iowans can't read or write so instead they eat, sniff & drink meth ;)
    I do live in a large city, sir - but my third and fifth ones could be done from anywhere!

Oh, and as to the happy endings --- "it was only twelve pumps" :mrgreen:
    larry_david_photo.jpg
  • one of the things i love to do!!!!!actually,buy things only for women :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    mca47 wrote:

Fine
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    mca47 wrote:
    I put myself up Missy! :D
    So Missy travels with you?