Judging a show by its setlist:

legolandbridgelegolandbridge Posts: 112
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
is kinda silly when it comes down to it. You read a setlist at home and make an opinon of it but you have no idea how the show went down. I mean, you can read "rvm" on the board and it's just three letters... but it might have been a fucking experience and a half at the showl Same with something like corduroy... the drums, the solo... i mean, it doesn't seem like much reading it... but experiencing it??

I've been to over 20 shows and enjoyed them all, but no longer do I feel the urge to be at that ONE of the amazing shows... the boston III or state college...

what i really come to appreciate is how they play all the songs with everything they have... they never ever rush it and they FUCKING PLAY... and pour everything they have into that one song they're playing.

Right now, I'm amazed hearing a kick ass version of evenflow... eddie walking back from his smoke and Mike shreading his guitar! They have such a kick ass time... It's better than hearing Satan's bed or Leash or whatever rarity you want to throw out there. Honestly. It's insane how they can do an old song like that EVERY TIME with so much emotion. You have to apprieciate that, and being at the show seeing it and hearing it.

At Hartford, I thought it was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING how Eddie poured himself into Inside Job, and went right into Black with the same intensity. How he sang Mike's words with so much feeling and then an old song like Black...with the "we belong together" tag... I'm truly blown away by that!

My point is... we are spoiled motherfuckers, some of us. We've heard some songs a lot but shit... that's the most amazing part of the show... they can do Alive, and Black like it's the first time they sing it. And Mike's solos are fucking insane!! A review said that they make an arena feel like a corner pub, and I think it's very true. You feel part of something.

so yes... enjoy the show, no matter how long it is and what the setlist really is. they are great musician giving you everything they've got.

On that note... good night! and yeah... if you have extra tickets for NJ, lemme know! or the gorge, i've decided to make the trip and camp out with you fuckers...
96 Hartford
98 NJ, Hartford, NY 2
00 Boston 1-2, Jones Beach 1-2-3
03 B'ham, Philly, Uniondale, Boston 2, NY 1-2, Hershey
04 Boston 2, Kissimmee
05 Borgata 2, Philly
06 SNL, Ed Sullivan, Hartford, NJ 2
10 MSG 1-2
11 Beacon 1-2 (Ed)
12 Amsterdam 1-2, Berlin 1-2, Copenhagen
12 Amsterdam 2 (Ed)
14 Amsterdam 1,2 Vienna, Berlin
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• spatspat Posts: 644
    couldn't have put it better myself! very nice. but unfortunately when it comes down to deciding which shows to buy, in the interest of saving money, it really does come down to the setlist, unless of course i hear really awesome things about a certain song, like a 10 minute version of alive or something that show is mine!
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • spat wrote:
    couldn't have put it better myself! very nice. but unfortunately when it comes down to deciding which shows to buy, in the interest of saving money, it really does come down to the setlist, unless of course i hear really awesome things about a certain song, like a 10 minute version of alive or something that show is mine!

I agree with both of you, sort of. All the shit is good, but some people like certain songs, so the set list is important. I think this: Choose a good set list, but I think, if you want to get the most band for your buck, then make sure the crowd was good that night. It makes all the difference.
  • I agree with both of you, sort of. All the shit is good, but some people like certain songs, so the set list is important. I think this: Choose a good set list, but I think, if you want to get the most band for your buck, then make sure the crowd was good that night. It makes all the difference.

yeah, i agree as far as buying boots. But the concert experience, really enjoy it while you're there.
    96 Hartford
    98 NJ, Hartford, NY 2
    00 Boston 1-2, Jones Beach 1-2-3
    03 B'ham, Philly, Uniondale, Boston 2, NY 1-2, Hershey
    04 Boston 2, Kissimmee
    05 Borgata 2, Philly
    06 SNL, Ed Sullivan, Hartford, NJ 2
    10 MSG 1-2
    11 Beacon 1-2 (Ed)
    12 Amsterdam 1-2, Berlin 1-2, Copenhagen
    12 Amsterdam 2 (Ed)
    14 Amsterdam 1,2 Vienna, Berlin
  • I pretty much give myself at least one boot that I'll buy just for the setlist. However, I have a couple from the NA '05 tour and Riot Act tour like that and unfortunately they mostly turned out to be strong if ultimately forgettable boots. Then I try and wait and see what shows eventually become consensus must-haves, like State College. I've jumped the gun this tour on Albany, and it ended up being pretty memorable though still the performance of a well-rehearsed band at the very beginning of a tour. Now, I'm waiting through the Chicago shows into San Franciscio to see which shows emerge as must-haves. With 3 shows in that tiny venue in S.F. I imagine that one of those is going to be a classic.

So, I rely heavily on the fanviews from here and at TSIS. Without those, I never would have bought the Buenos Aires boot due to its hits-heavy set and in the process would have missed that amazing crowd. I mean, seriously, who the hell sings the guitar parts? That was definite goosebump type stuff. However, the setlist still has to be a big factor in buying boots unless you just really have a lot of disposable income. The actual concert experience though, as was just said, is enjoy it while you're there.