Holiday Plans?

SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,427
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Looks like most of us, hopefully, will be getting a nice 4 day holiday break. What are your plans?

Saturday: I will be having her family over for dinner. Prime Rib, and I am still searching cookbooks, for some vegetable/potato recipes.

Sunday: A day of rest.

Monday: Christmas Eve dinner with my folks. No idea what is on the menu. I have a feeling they dont feel like cooking, and the 3 of us may just go out for a nice dinner.

Tuesday: Christmas breakfast with my family, mom, dad, my 4 nieces, both sisters, and brother in laws. Then Christmas dinner at Kathy's sisters house. Kathys mom, 2 sisters, 2 nephews, our niece, and aunt and uncle. I am hearing rumblings that beef tenderloin is on the menu. Woo HOO!!!

So? What are your plans?
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I always go the the beach as early as I can. Some weird reason, there are often good waves on Xmas.

Then, off to my wife's Moms housea few blocks away for brunch...she's got a huge hippy family that are a ton of fun. Then down to my Mom and dads place in Boca, a 20 minute drive, for some tenderlion too.

Im going to make a huge pile of sweet potatos like they have at Boston Market with brown sugar and marshmellows. You know mashmellows arent vegetarian? Gotta go to a specialty store so my wife can have some.

Then utilize the gift Im getting for my wife: Hammock!

Maybe watch a b-ball game and/or the movie Elf or Harold and Kumar Xmas.
    :P
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Only 3 day weekend for me.

Sunday: Football and poker and probably a little last minute shopping.

Monday: Seafood stew at my mother's(technically this is a dinner she is making for my birthday.)

Tuesday: Dinner at mom's again with ham and duck. Then we're going to try and catch the new Tarantino flick.
    #FHP
  • Horos wrote:

Monday: Seafood stew at my mother's(technically this is a dinner she is making for my birthday.)

Tuesday: Dinner at mom's again with ham and duck. Then we're going to try and catch the new Tarantino flick.
    Seafood Stew. NICE!!!

I wanted to cook a Leg of Lamb this year. Kathy looked at me as if I just told her, "There is no Santa Claus."

So Prime Rib it is.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Horos wrote:

Seafood Stew. NICE!!!

I wanted to cook a Leg of Lamb this year. Kathy looked at me as if I just told her, "There is no Santa Claus."

So Prime Rib it is.
    Love the Prime Rib, did it the last couple of years.

Decided to try the duck this year. Mom's doing the ham and I'm bringing the duck.

The stew is great, crab, shrimp, scallops, clams and some halibut.
    #FHP
  • It appears I'll be at work.

And then I'll be heading to Hudson with an empty house waiting for me.

:corn:
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    original-404-291-makers-mark.jpg
  • eat-drink-sleep
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    mca47 wrote:
    original-404-291-makers-mark.jpg

Well hello there.

Speedy sounds like you're gonna have an awesome Christmas!! For what it's worth, I would have voted for the lamb. :D
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • I believe tomorrow consists of Rum/Brandy and eggnog... those are my plans until the 26th

I dunno

All I can tell you is I'm going to be really fucking drunk tomorrow :lol:

Edit: Probably a bunch of beer too, you know, just to slow things down a bit :lol:
  • klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    I'm off from the 21st until the 2nd so i plan on staying half lit up and hanging out with the family and visiting a few old friends.
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Nice 4 day weekend for me too.

Sat/Sun mostly just chilling.

Monday – sister’s house, instead of the big sit down dinner, this is just casual drop in/hang out, but my brother in law doesn’t do casual when it comes to food, so it should be interesting. The man loves to cook!!!

Christmas, dinner at my folks, on the menu – Ham! I love ham. :D
  • I'd have voted for lamb too. Glenn was pretty insistent that we stick with turkey. :roll:

Here's my plans:

Saturday: Clean house! :(
    Sunday: Glenn's sister arrives from Florida. She's great and I'm looking forward to seeing her. She's surprising her dad; he doesn't know she'll be here.
    Monday: Hang out, go out to eat in the evening (still trying to decide where). Probably watch a movie.
    Tuesday: Dinner at our house, with SIL, FIL and his fiance.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Getting irritated by the family. Eat. Getting irritated by the family. Open gifts. Getting irritated by the family. Leave. Drink.
  • DS1119 wrote:
    Getting irritated by the family. Eat. Getting irritated by the family. Open gifts. Getting irritated by the family. Leave. Drink.

Maybe you should start drinking first, although that doesn't always make things "less" irritable.

I'll be spending Christmas eve with my wife here in Florida then fly up to NYC Christmas day to spend a week with mom :angel: .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,678
    Saturday & Sunday will be last minute shopping, grocery shopping, house cleaning and football.

Monday off to the in-laws for Italian Christmas Eve seafood fest.

Tuesday stay home watch Mini Ponc revel in what Santa brings him, my brother and sister in law will come over and I'll cook my annual turkey. (And the Christmas Story marathon will be on all day much to my wife's chagrin).
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • I cooked the most delicious meal yesterday, for Kathys family. It could possibly be the BEST meal I have cooked in my entire life. Everything just turned out perfect. Tommorow I get to go to my folks house, and cook dinner for them.

SPEEDY the Chef!
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Just went to the grocery store. Only ended up getting a 7 lb filet and stuff for the sauce. I'll go back later for the non essential things
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,410
    My in laws arrived in Portland last night. Great seeing them!!! Happy holidays, everyone! Be safe!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    We're having a great long weekend! Daily do's then evening fun :D
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,410
    cooking up some Chili to go with our Holiday Beer selection 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,138
    I guess it's different over here as we get more annual leave (I get 30 days leave plus the 9 bank holidays and flexi time). I left work on Friday afternoon and am not back in until the 3rd January.
    Today I went out with my Aunt, Uncle and Nan - we went to a local chocolate factory for some last minute pressies, then to watch the surf at a beach on the North Coast and had lunch over there. Tonight I have wrapped my pressies!

Tomorrow, I've friends coming tomorrow morning to exchange pressies, then I'm taking my Nan and Great Aunt to the annual Harmony Choir procession in our town centre. There will probably lots of family popping in and out.

Christmas Day - get up and open the pressies under the tree, breakfast and bucks fizz. Then I'll go to my parents for lunch (Beef I expect, we're not massive turkey fans) then the usual eat too much, maybe visit to the beach or to see some other relatives.

Boxing Day - A lot of my family will come to my Nan's for a gathering involving yet more food - gammon, beef, turkey, mince pies, Christmas Cake, pickles, sausage rolls, mini pasties, trifle etc...

Rest of the week will be spent catching up with friends, relaxing walks to the beach etc... before I head away for New Year to meet up with some PJ peeps.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,845
    not sure on the details but I get to see my brother for the first time since 2009? He lives overseas in Guam working for DoD as a Fire Chief. Happens to be here for the holiday. Meeting my Gf and hopefully her kids too. This should happen tomorrow sometime.

As for our Xmas. Well, my work slowed down this month(next month too) forcing me to temp drive OTR and she's just started back into clinical nursing at a new psych hospital the opened here recently. As such our finances have taken a hit and theres been little time to do any shopping. So we've postponed our opening of gifts til weekened after giving us a chance to be a little more methodical about he gifts we get for her kids(teens). Bonus is we may catch some better sales too!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dottles wrote:
    I guess it's different over here as we get more annual leave (I get 30 days leave plus the 9 bank holidays and flexi time). I left work on Friday afternoon and am not back in until the 3rd January.
    Today I went out with my Aunt, Uncle and Nan - we went to a local chocolate factory for some last minute pressies, then to watch the surf at a beach on the North Coast and had lunch over there. Tonight I have wrapped my pressies!

Tomorrow, I've friends coming tomorrow morning to exchange pressies, then I'm taking my Nan and Great Aunt to the annual Harmony Choir procession in our town centre. There will probably lots of family popping in and out.

Christmas Day - get up and open the pressies under the tree, breakfast and bucks fizz. Then I'll go to my parents for lunch (Beef I expect, we're not massive turkey fans) then the usual eat too much, maybe visit to the beach or to see some other relatives.

Boxing Day - A lot of my family will come to my Nan's for a gathering involving yet more food - gammon, beef, turkey, mince pies, Christmas Cake, pickles, sausage rolls, mini pasties, trifle etc...

Rest of the week will be spent catching up with friends, relaxing walks to the beach etc... before I head away for New Year to meet up with some PJ peeps.
    Now THIS sounds like how the holidays should be celebrated!

I think I may have told you that my husband lived in Helston for a couple of years when he was a boy. He introduced me to pasties a few years ago. So yummy!
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,138
    dottles wrote:

Now THIS sounds like how the holidays should be celebrated!

I think I may have told you that my husband lived in Helston for a couple of years when he was a boy. He introduced me to pasties a few years ago. So yummy!

Cool! I went through Helston today, we went to Mullion to the chocolate factory and then to Portreath and Porthtowan to watch the waves :D
    Cornish pasties are nommy! Not these rank things you can buy elsewhere :lol:
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • dottles wrote:
    Cool! I went through Helston today, we went to Mullion to the chocolate factory and then to Portreath and Porthtowan to watch the waves :D
    Cornish pasties are nommy! Not these rank things you can buy elsewhere :lol:
    My sister in law was born there. She's arriving tonight from Florida! So looking forward to having her visit.

Believe it or not, we had a Cornish pasty shop here for a few years. What they were doing in Texas, I don't know! Unfortunately they went out of business. :(
    I loved eating pasties on a cold winter night.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    I always go the the beach as early as I can. Some weird reason, there are often good waves on Xmas.

Then, off to my wife's Moms housea few blocks away for brunch...she's got a huge hippy family that are a ton of fun. Then down to my Mom and dads place in Boca, a 20 minute drive, for some tenderlion too.

Im going to make a huge pile of sweet potatos like they have at Boston Market with brown sugar and marshmellows. You know mashmellows arent vegetarian? Gotta go to a specialty store so my wife can have some.

Then utilize the gift Im getting for my wife: Hammock!

Maybe watch a b-ball game and/or the movie Elf or Harold and Kumar Xmas.

Dude waves were pumping on Saturday when I got here..I was amazed
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Brunch

Then sitting on the beach in Florida

Sound good to me
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Looks like I'll get to be with the family for the better part of 4 hours this holiday season. :fp: