How do we find our purpose in life? What is our calling?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Ive thought about this quite often. And frankly, im not sure we are supposed to find one purpose, and have that define our lives for eternity. Maybe we are supposed to do many things. But, I do view the search for ones purpose and calling to be the ultimate and primary objective as a human being. As Hesse said, mans true profession is to find himself.

The idea we are indoctrinated into is, you go to school, go to college, major, graduate, get a job, get married, have kids, buy a house, retire and die. Thats never been of interest to me. I'd rather trade all that to be happy and fulfilled. There are books galore on how to do the buisness school money status stuff. Very few books on how to go the other route-to be fulfilled and find meaning in a world that is brutal and violent.

Not sure if anyones seen the movie Liberal Arts. But theres a line in there, that rings true. Your first 18 years of life, you believe and are told you can be anything, or do anything. Life is full of possibilities. You can be an astronaut, physicist, president, doctor etc... Then you go to college, make some choices, and those pathways close off. You arent told you can be anything you want anymore. You are told to grow up. get a job. Get realistic. Most disturbing I think is the internal feelings. At 18 I really believed I could be anything and could change the world. At 28 though, it seems much harder to do things. And ive internalized alot of that. Its hard to remain innocent and wide eyed in a world like this. Ive had jobs. And know how demoralizing and impersonal they are. I could be anything I want still, but I think about loans, and rent, and money, and how to stay afloat. That stuff never occured to me as a kid, and why would it.

I think its so important to actually live life. To experience it. To push ones self. I dont view that as possible in a 9-5 office job nor in the school work retire die paradigm.

So what is the point of life? Whats the meaning of it all? How do we each find out purpose and calling?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Very interesting ideas, musicman...
    The movie Fight Club started to ring true once I hit my 30s.
    For a few years, I let "stuff" control me. Once you get the mortgage and a few other responsibilities, you can get easily locked into a path. It all caught up to me and I was in a rut. Then the value of my house decreased dramatically and I saw my neighborhood become more violent and unsafe. I did everything I could to keep paying for it...I kept a crappy job and watched as some of my career aspirations went down the toilet.

But then it occurred to me that my mother graduated college in her late 30's, grown men were partying and playing in original bands around town, and there are decent waves to surf in Florida from time to time. I can be a father, a single man, or a bum, and I'll still be doing a few of those things when I'm old. I simply decided to do what makes me happy and not worry too much about the little things and what society expects out of me. My mother is slightly let down, but I remind her that Leave it to Beaver is no longer applicable.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    You raise some interesting points. Not all of us can be Mother Teresa or Ghandi. We can however, be true to ourselves and find happiness and success in the little things we can do each day.

Me for instance, I take great pride in that I’m a blood donor, and have been for over 20 years. I’ve been a part of saving many, many lives and that to me is very fulfilling.

I'm also very passionate about music and baseball. I find great joy in both of those things.

You need to find something that brings you satisfaction. Keep looking, dig deep and think about what’s important to you. It doesn’t have to be saving the world.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    suggested viewing ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432283/

your existential question has been occupying the minds of people through the ages ... fortunately and unfortunately for you ... only you can answer that question ...
  • PapPap Posts: 28,777
    Confucius said “Find a job you love and you’ll never work a day in your life”.

The idea we are indoctrinated into is, you go to school, go to college, major, graduate, get a job, get married, have kids, buy a house, retire and die. That's never been of interest to me.

+1 Even though I kind of follow this path, I try to leave my own unique mark on the way.

Not sure if anyone's seen the movie Liberal Arts. But there's a line in there, that rings true. Your first 18 years of life, you believe and are told you can be anything, or do anything. Life is full of possibilities. You can be an astronaut, physicist, president, doctor etc... Then you go to college, make some choices, and those pathways close off. You aren't told you can be anything you want anymore. You are told to grow up. Get a job. Get realistic. Most disturbing I think is the internal feelings. At 18 I really believed I could be anything and could change the world. At 28 though, it seems much harder to do things.

I haven't seen the movie, but that line is so true. Two words come to my mind: Wasted Youth.

I think it's so important to actually live life. To experience it. To push one's self.

Makes much more sense to live in the present tense... - Pearl Jam
    No time like the present... - Mudhoney
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • I ask myself this everyday.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Our purpose is to be for each other...
    sounds easy but it is very hard to do.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    You may find the following short video inspiring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiRGRvE_Wqg

:)
    Love as much as you can.
    pandora wrote:
    Our purpose is to be for each other...
    sounds easy but it is very hard to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EX5NzqNXc
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Everyone has to find their own foothold in life. It's not easy. But you've already taken the first step by thinking about it. Most people don't think about these things but just plod on with the 9-5 grind.

And you're right about the office job. As far as my experience goes, that shit is the opposite of life.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Have sex so we can reproduce
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I think the best way to live your life is to continually grow and move in the direction of activities and people that you are passionately interested in. Enthusiasm, passion, interest, all these drive people towards their better selves.

So, to generalize, I'd say that it's best to become sensitive to clues in yourself about what you REALLY love and are interested in and somehow follow the path that opens up.

Jobs evolve, relationships evolve (if we're lucky!) and opportunities open up when we're headed in the right direction. :)

At least, that's been my observation and experience. :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527

I think its so important to actually live life. To experience it. To push ones self. I dont view that as possible in a 9-5 office job nor in the school work retire die paradigm.

So what is the point of life? Whats the meaning of it all? How do we each find out purpose and calling?

i have no idea what the point of life is. maybe if you live life to it's fullest you don't find out until you're near the end of your life?

by the way--the idea that you can't push yourself and experience life while having a job is a bit absurd to me. having a job affords you the ability to do the things you like....just on weekends and pto time :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,675
    It's interesting that there are a number of movies or clip recommended here to help answer your question, Musicismylife. I had a similar thought regarding the movie, "Dead Poet's Society", one of my favorites.

I know many people who have never asked the questions you are asking. Doing so might be half the answer right there. All of us spend at least some of our time just going through the motions of life. Some, tragically, seem to sleep walk all the way through life. It takes practice to live thoughtfully. If your questions are on your mind often enough, the periphery of your thoughts will always be looking for the answer and you will more be more likely to find your purpose, or at least life will feel more purposeful.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    The answer to your question has been, surprisingly, answered by a Broadway musical:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJdcROXeaWc :D

A Broadway musical with puppets, no less. :D
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Some random thoughts:
    Travel and travel often; strive to see new places and meet new people
    Spend more time with nature/outdoors
    Read
    Listen to music and go to live concerts
    Do good things for others (both acquaintences and strangers alike)
    Volunteer
    Find a hobby/passion (personally I jump around on this one...one year I'm painting, the next I'm blowing glass, the next I'm learning a new instrument, etc)
    Take acid (you may think I'm joking but I've had some very profound thoughts when my mind is at the will of this substance)
    Spend more quality time with your loved ones
    Now these may certainly not be the answers to your questions, but I find that if you try your best to practice a lot of the activities I've listed your life will be more fullfilling.
    Just my two cents :P
    Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,675
    Some random thoughts:
    Travel and travel often; strive to see new places and meet new people
    Spend more time with nature/outdoors
    Read
    Listen to music and go to live concerts
    Do good things for others (both acquaintences and strangers alike)
    Volunteer
    Find a hobby/passion (personally I jump around on this one...one year I'm painting, the next I'm blowing glass, the next I'm learning a new instrument, etc)
    Take acid (you may think I'm joking but I've had some very profound thoughts when my mind is at the will of this substance)
    Spend more quality time with your loved ones
    Now these may certainly not be the answers to your questions, but I find that if you try your best to practice a lot of the activities I've listed your life will be more fullfilling.
    Just my two cents :P
    Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?

Yes to all of the above and well worth more than two cents. Nice! :mrgreen:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I don't think 'everybody' finds their 'purpose' in life.

Some wander aimlessly, with no direction, but follow a 'path'.

Some feel they are on the right path and forge on, even though they continually fail.

Some find 'success' but yet, still feel 'empty'.

Some know what their passion is (I rather call it passion rather than purpose) but just don't know 'how' to get there.

I do think, at some point, that when the passion is known, the path will reveal itself at the right time. Sometimes, there are other paths to take too...I don't think there is one single 'passion/purpose' for an individual.

whatever...I dunno, I'm just deliriously rambling...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    drivingrl wrote:

:thumbup:

Life is worth losing. - George Carlin
  • sometimes identifying your biggest challenge or the worst thing that's happened in your life and turning it into a strength of something positive can become your purpose
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"