Spider builds larger spider decoys - wtf, spiders are creepy

blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
spider_w.jpg
Spider that builds larger spider decoys discovered, may be a new species
By Kimber Streams on December 18, 2012 12:56 pm Email @kimberstreams

Biologist and science educator Phil Torres may have discovered a completely new species — a spider that builds detailed replicas of larger spiders to intimidate and confuse potential predators. The spider, currently thought to be a new member of the genus Cyclosa, uses small pieces of leaf, dead insects, and other debris to create fake spiders, complete with legs. Other Cyclosa create decoys using spare egg sacs, but this new spider's sculptures are the first to feature leg-like appendages. Speaking to Wired, Torres said that when he first saw one of the small, 5mm spiders and its decoy on a tour at Peru's Tambopata Research Center, "it blew my mind."

However, the spider is still a long way from being recognized as a new species. First, Torres must go back to the site in January to collect specimens to compare against other species. If this spider turns out to be biologically different than the known species of Cyclosa, then all the information will be published, verified, and Torres' discovery will be officially classified as a new spider species. This spider isn't a legitimate species just yet, but the one behind you probably is.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/18/3780 ... discovered
My whole life
was like a picture
of a sunny day
“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    When you were younger didn't you ever make a decoy of yourself in your bed with pillows, a basketball or whatever so you could sneak out? That's all he's doing, it's not creepy. Spiders are creepy as fuck though.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    no spider talk allowed here! I HATE SPIDERS.

Thanks for the nightmares I will no doubt have tonight. :evil:
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    spiders are awesome.. and rather smart.. as this story shows.

SPIDERS!!!!!!!!!

:P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,677
    spiders are awesome.. and rather smart.. as this story shows.

SPIDERS!!!!!!!!!

:P

Yeah, COOL! I almost missed this thread- Love those critters! :mrgreen:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiders are kick ass... camel spiders are seriously some of the coolest fucking fellas I've ever seen. I have to meet one in person.