Options

BOSTON SHOW 1 (the sound)

overstandoverstand Posts: 54
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I have been to one other show at the new "garden" back when pj played in 2004. I was along the side loge 19 or so i think...and the sound was LOUD but much reverb in the arena....was difficult to hear the words.

last night i was about 30 feet from the soundboard, dead center....and i really could't understand much of what ed said or the lyrics (of course i knew every word by heard so it didn't matter much)...

but the point is.... The sound pretty much sucks inside the arena. anyone else find this to be true.........great woods, when you sit inside the pavillion was MUCH better sound.

(not complaining at all...actually going again tonight..sitting a bit off center in the loge...will see how that sounds)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I think you can't hear ed because everyone feels the need to sing every lyric at the top of their lungs.

there's never been great sound in that place, but i'd take an arena show over a shed like great woods anyday.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I guarantee tonight sounds a LOT better.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,535
    I've been to a lot of shows, a lot of shows period. Many band, many artists.

By the end of this tour I will see PJ about 18 times (11 before). Of all the places I have seen them I think MSG and Hartford had the best sound. The Gorge was great too sound wise but sometimes it was muffled.

I've seen Springsteen a lot as well, and the best sound I've heard from him is at MSG and Giants Stadium.

Not to be bias since I live in NY, but I think MSG is the best place to see any band. I've seen other bands in MSG and then I've seen them out of MSG, it's not the same show. The band puts on their best show, the SOUND of the arena is fuckin great, and the crowd is always NUTS at MSG.

MSG 2006 :D
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    owenzowenz Posts: 8
    I was really frustrated with the sound at the start of the night. I hate to say it was "too loud" (it was an F'ing rock n' roll concert, after all), but there was a ton of distortion. Like overstand, I was really straining to hear both words and music. The sound improved over the course of the night, with loud ones like Do the Evolution sounding a whole lot better towards the end of the show than heavy stuff (like WWS) at the beginning.

Hopefully Binfrog is right. With a night under their belt, the engineers should have a good feel for the acoustics (or lack there of) in the "Garden."

Incidentally, I have seen some pretty loud acts (Metallica, etc.) in the building over the years. It doesn't always sound bad. No one will ever mistake it for a symphony hall, but decent sound is doable there.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    BinFrog wrote:
    I guarantee tonight sounds a LOT better.

agreed Binfrog...

night #2 they will have all the "bugs" worked out..
    same thing happened for the 2004 pre-VFC shows..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    And I also guarantee that we are in for a hell of a ride tonight.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    the sound was great from my seat for most of the show, right side sec 22.

However at the beginning of the main set, at least until courderoy i could not hear Stones guitar hardly at all. But they fixed that because i thought the rest of the shows sound was outstanding.
  • Options
    wife and i going tonight , sec 330 , balcony , we've seen them primarily at great woods and the sound was always outstanding , but the venue is made to house shows and is fairly acousticly sound , i've seen lots of arena shows throughout the years and alway prefered an amphitheater over an arena , but no matter , we plan on having a great experience with the boys , as has always been the case , anyone going tonight , be safe , have fun , cheers.............
    hold my hand , walk beside me.....

boston 92 lollapalooza (wow!)
    boston 98 #2
    boston 00 both shows
    boston 06 #2 (omfg)
  • Options
    pearljamnewfpearljamnewf Posts: 204
    The sound was about average quality for a hockey arena. Not great, but certainly not crap. I wouldn't say that the new garden could be considered to have good sound however. I was pleased with it throughout the show, but the opening riff from Stone in Release was not as crisp as I have heard in Montreal Bell center for example.
  • Options
    mtildenmtilden Posts: 62
    I think it's a difficult venue to get a good sound in. The two PJ shows I've seen there have been average, but when I saw David Bowie there it was probably the best sounding concert I've ever heard. Go figure.
    "Go fuck yourself"
    -Dick Cheney

"Are you taking over or are you taking orders"
    -Joe Strummer 1952-2002

"All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting."
    -George Orwell
  • Options
    mtilden wrote:
    I think it's a difficult venue to get a good sound in. The two PJ shows I've seen there have been average, but when I saw David Bowie there it was probably the best sounding concert I've ever heard. Go figure.

I saw the first concert there ever, REM in 1995 and it was the WORST sounding concert I have EVER been to. They have made enormous improvements.
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,768
    most arenas just aren't meant for sound/concerts.
    I can guarantee that the United Center in Chicago is much much much worse.