Westvleteren XII - Rare Beer from Belgium

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
http://121212xii.wordpress.com/2012/12/03/hello-world/

this reminds me of record store day or a very limited 10C item:

A very rare beer was finally released for sale in the U.S. today.....it sold out quite swiftly, and people are selling it on Ebay!

Turns out the beer is considered "the best in the world", and it is brewed by Monks in Belgium.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I scored a 6 pack here in Orlando!
    Sound Advice Amphitheatre - Apr 11,2003, House Of Blues Orlando - Apr 12, 2003, St. Pete Times Forum - Apr 13, 2003,Silver Spurs Arena - Oct 08, 2004, Cruzan Amphitheatre - Jun 11, 2008, St. Pete Times, Forum - Jun 12, 2008, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I scored a 6 pack here in Orlando!

very cool

Was it like $85?
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    I love Belgian beer but I ain't shelling out $85 for a 6-pack (says the dipshit who bought 4 bottles of Faithfull Ale).
    edited December 2012
    JTH wrote:
    I love Belgian beer but I ain't shelling out $85 for a 6-pack (says the dipshit who bought 4 bottles of Faithfull Ale).

seems as if you could buy the brick for $85, and sell a few bottles to recoup the cost. (Not advocating the sale or trading of beer on this website!)
    Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    JTH wrote:

seems as if you could buy the brick for $85, and sell a few bottles to recoup the cost.
    Yeah, that was the plan with the Faithfull, but I ended up drinking all of that, too.

Say, anyone want to buy an empty bottle...?
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Looks like I'd have to drive to Louisiana to get some. I think I'll pass. I'm good though, my local liquor store (after many requests) started carrying Bellhaven Scottish Ale.

beerimg_scottishale2.png
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:

very cool

Was it like $85?

After tax...it was $90....but I have already recouped my investment by sharing it with friends.
    Sound Advice Amphitheatre - Apr 11,2003, House Of Blues Orlando - Apr 12, 2003, St. Pete Times Forum - Apr 13, 2003,Silver Spurs Arena - Oct 08, 2004, Cruzan Amphitheatre - Jun 11, 2008, St. Pete Times, Forum - Jun 12, 2008, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011

JOEJOEJOE wrote:

very cool

Was it like $85?

After tax...it was $90....but I have already recouped my investment by sharing it with friends.

GREAT IDEA!

how'd it taste?
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Local beer store said the monks were charging $83.50/sixer. They were selling it for the same price cash. They said $3 extra for debit or charge because the banks aren't donating any money to the abbey. It's a tripel which seem to usually be pretty tasty. At that price I won't be trying any.
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:
    At that price I won't be trying any.

Judging by your avatar I would have thought you'd be first in line.

I can't imagine any beer is worth that price. I'm sure it's good, and for people with extra money laying around the price is probably fair to the demand. But you can count me out unless those monks will come to Texas and do some yard work or my taxes.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Horos wrote:

I can't imagine any beer is worth that price. I'm sure it's good, and for people with extra money laying around the price is probably fair to the demand. But you can count me out unless those monks will come to Texas and do some yard work or my taxes.
    Luckily it sold out before I heard about it.

After thinking about it, it's only $13-14 a beer. I've paid that much for others.
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:
    Horos wrote:

Luckily it sold out before I heard about it.

After thinking about it, it's only $13-14 a beer. I've paid that much for others.

When you put it that way, it's really not so bad. At some of the pricier bars I have paid 10-12 bucks for a bottle of domestic. At a bar in Dallas I paid $11 for a bottle of Miller Lite, gave the bartender $15 and he tipped himself with the other $4. So that was a $15 bottle of Miller Lite, which I don't even fucking like.
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Hi JOEJOEJOE :)
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • shepshep Posts: 5,763

When you put it that way, it's really not so bad. At some of the pricier bars I have paid 10-12 bucks for a bottle of domestic. At a bar in Dallas I paid $11 for a bottle of Miller Lite, gave the bartender $15 and he tipped himself with the other $4. So that was a $15 bottle of Miller Lite, which I don't even fucking like.

$15 miller lite? whoa.

now there's a rip off! you could get a 2-4 on sale for that price at the right wall mart! :fp:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    There was something like 20 stores in Ontario that got it and most had line-ups and were sold out very shortly after opening.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    JTH wrote:

Wow four bottles of Faithfull? Did you drink them all. I would be disappointed if I spent the money to buy 4 bottles of Faithful since considering it was like $15 for a 750ml bottle I though the price was too high. I mean not that it was a bad beer, but for that price I was expecting something awesome. At least with Westvleteren you get 6 bottles and two glasses for around 80 (it is actually a lower price per bottle than Faithfull, especially if you factor in the two glasses), and the money you are spending is basically going to charity.
    JTH wrote:

Wow four bottles of Faithfull? Did you drink them all. I would be disappointed if I spent the money to buy 4 bottles of Faithful since considering it was like $15 for a 750ml bottle I though the price was too high. I mean not that it was a bad beer, but for that price I was expecting something awesome. At least with Westvleteren you get 6 bottles and two glasses for around 80 (it is actually a lower price per bottle than Faithfull, especially if you factor in the two glasses), and the money you are spending is basically going to charity.
    As you pointed out, Faithfull bottles were 750 ml. That's more than double the size of these bottles. So if you compare equal volumes, Faithfull was half the price.

I'm not saying it was worth that price, though.

Anyway, I drank two of the bottles by myself and split the other two with my wife's friend's husband, who is also a big PJ fan.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I went by Total Wine yesterday afternoon and they were - not surprisingly - all sold out. I was a little disappointed, but in the end it's probably for the best. I don't know how I would be able to explain to my wife that I spent $85 on a six pack of beer and 2 glasses.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.