Anyone here an artist, writer, creative person?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I write and paint and draw. I try to write every day. What is your medium of choice. Do you engage in it every day? Is it more for fun, or do you have a career ambition to it, and do you want to "make it" or "break big" as it were?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I consider myself to be an artist. Here's one of my pieces.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=197962&p=4714857&hilit=ds1119+artist#p4714857
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,410
    sure....

music/writing...

i play/write every single day. i know that i probably won't be able to make a living as a musician....but if it had the chance, i would take it in a heartbeat!

www.cluthlee.com
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Sure

I drum and play bass
  • good to see some fellow creative folks here. For me, I find it a struggle, a constant one. To try and manifest or create something, on paper, or on canvas or whatever, an image in my mind, and have it manifested in another form. Its a near impossible task. But its like a calling. I need to create, but feel disappointed in the result. It never lives up.

I like the freedom creativity allows the artist. You can be your true self. Its your world, your vision, and you have control. I kind of feel like the artists life is one of toil and struggle. But it seems like the artists need to create is overwhelming and strong, and I'd personally much rather be a penniless starving artist who followed the muse and my dreams, than be some soulless worker in an office at a 9-5.

Also, where do you guys feel your creativity or ideas come from? Where do your ideas for drum and bass riffs come from? Or song lyrics and ideas? How about story ideas, where do they come from?

Do you wait for inspiration to strike then engage in creative acts, or do you constantly write/paint/draw/play guitar-bass etc... and then take whatever is good from that?
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I'm an aspiring writer. Since I was 11/12, I've wanted to write for Hollywood. It's my life's ambition. I want to create my own TV show and also want to write movies. I know it's tough to break into Hollywood, but how do I know if I'll make it or not if I don't try and submit my work? I just finished taking a class this semester called Film Writing and it was the best class I have ever taken. The film I started writing for the class is 63 pages in and not finished yet. I'm hoping to finish it during the winter break now that the semester is over and I can get this done and share the rest with my professor. He said he can probably get actors to do a reading for our scripts, which will be a big help if any of them like them enough to encourage people they know to make these films. It would be a big boost if my film gets made.

My ideas come from different places: life, stuff that has happened, and sometimes ideas just come to me in random places and times that I'll have to write that idea in my little notepad that I carry with me so I don't forget it. If I don't have my notepad on me, I'll write it in my phone and when I get home, write that idea in my notepad. When I start to write a script, I always start with the idea and then evolve that into a story. Once I have the story, I turn that into an outline, which makes writing the actual script a lot easier.

I also play the drums and guitar and practice and play whenever I can. I've been playing drums since I was a child and started playing guitar my senior year in high school. If I come up with an idea, I record that idea and then will share it with my cousin in L.A. and see if he can do anything with it and come up with parts. He also plays guitar and graduated from the Musicians Institute school in March. It's also my dream to make it big in the music business some day. I know it's tough to do now, but again, how will I know if I make it or not if I don't try?

I don't want to work in an office. I'm majoring in English because it seems like a major that will get me different jobs that'll keep me occupied while my real focus is on my writing. I wouldn't mind having a job at Barnes and Noble (shows how high my ambitions are where I want to work).

Has anyone heard about the 10,000-Hour Rule from Malcolm Gladwell's book, Outliers? My cousin was telling me about it last week. He says he would recommend the book. I haven't read it yet but read a little bit about the 10,000-Hour Rule and today I am going to start it. Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book)
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I do like to write music and every now and then write just my thoughts on different things.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • djklambakedjklambake Posts: 2,522
    We're all creative... some of us suppress it more...

http://hbr.org/2012/12/reclaim-your-cre ... dence/ar/1
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    edited December 2012
    I write and paint and draw. I try to write every day. What is your medium of choice. Do you engage in it every day? Is it more for fun, or do you have a career ambition to it, and do you want to "make it" or "break big" as it were?

I'm in a band and I love to come up with rhythm guitar parts and vocals. There was a time when I wrote about 20 original songs in a year. I was single, surfing alot, drinking alot, and hanging out with my best friend. Things have changed and its much more difficult now to find the time and ability to play, but I do try to play every tuesday and thursday. To be very good, I need more time than that unfortunately. Its definitely for fun, but I have ambitious goals to get a full length record done in the next few months.

I've also written a book. in fact, I just recently finished it and I'm querying literary agents. I was about to revive an old thread on that topic to see if I could generate some networking here. Writing a book was very difficult in the beginning, but once I got rolling, it was the most fun i've ever had creatively. However, (for me) it required a lot of drinking and late hours. I also love writing ficiton because I can do it anywhere. I see stuff all over in my daily life that inspire stories -- mostly from science and nature (and drinking :oops: :P ) The main problem I have with novel writing is that you really MUST do it everyday. Most successful writes will tell you that. I only dedicate a day or two per week.

Also, I love Bob Ross painting. :D My goal if I live to 67 years old is to become a certified Bob Ross instructor. :mrgreen:

So, the overall point is, drinking is my friend. :lol:
    Post edited by JonnyPistachio on
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,677
    I've played guitar for about 45 (I think I'm starting to get it!), have recently learned to play the mandolin a little, try to sing now and then, very much enjoy writing, have done some decent painting and drawing and done a little bit of landscaping. The (sort of) problem is I have so many interests that way that no one creative outlet gets enough focus for me to become proficient at any of them. But that's OK, I love doing all of that those creative things.

It's good to hear about what others of you enjoy doing that way.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I sing and write, "always" been doing that. My poems have been accepted for publication and the other day I saw the cover of the book. It is awsome, much better than I thought it would be.

I want to be a full time author, writing facts books and poetry.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • I consider myself a "photographic artist" I make art with my camera. I currently make my living by shooting for other people and sell my own personal artwork out of a gallery here in Chicago. Someday, I hope to shoot only projects I choose and sell art on a larger scale. I've sold images to many advertising and marketing firms here in Chicago and just recently have sold images to major clothing companies to be included on garments for next falls collections......

Check out my work if you'd like....

http://www.jacobvanvooren.com/
  • I consider myself a "photographic artist" I make art with my camera. I currently make my living by shooting for other people and sell my own personal artwork out of a gallery here in Chicago. Someday, I hope to shoot only projects I choose and sell art on a larger scale. I've sold images to many advertising and marketing firms here in Chicago and just recently have sold images to major clothing companies to be included on garments for next falls collections......

holy crap, ofthegirl is not a girl!? :lol:
    I really like the polariods section. Badass stuff. Good luck to you!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)

holy crap, ofthegirl is not a girl!? :lol:
    I really like the polariods section. Badass stuff. Good luck to you!

Hahahah! Thanks, my wife started this account years ago and I just took it over!!
  • Aspiring musician.
    I play guitar every day almost, self taught, no maestro.
    I try to come up with riffs, I have recorded some ideas.
    I try to write lyrics, I end up writing something which may not suit a song but fit into the creative writing or poetry basket.
    I used to draw all the time as a child, I was quite good, dunno maybe still got that magic in me.
    I am a sensitive depressed loner.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014