Options

titanic finder says biblical flood was real

catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
edited December 2012 in A Moving Train
yeah weve known this for years... the myth of the biblical flood was most likely based on a real localised incident.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/2 ... d-was-real

The archaeologist who discovered the Titanic on the ocean floor now says there is proof the flood behind Noah's biblical legend actually happened.

Robert Ballard, an acclaimed underwater archaeologist, has talked about his findings with a US news outlet after scouring the depths of the Black Sea off the coast of Turkey with advanced robotic technology in search of traces of an ancient civilisation.

Ballard said he now supports a theory first put forward by scientists from New York's Columbia University that the Black Sea was once a freshwater lake surrounded by farmland before being overrun by "an enormous wall of water" from the rising Mediterranean Sea.

Ballard told ABC News that evidence of an ancient shoreline suggests a "great flood" may have taken place around 5000 BC.

He said thousands of years ago much of the world was covered in ice.

But when it started to melt, the water began to rush toward the world's oceans, causing floods all around the world.

"The questions is, was there a mother of all floods?" Ballard told ABC News.

The ancient shoreline Ballard uncovered is proof, he said, of a catastrophic event in the Black Sea.

The carbon dating of shells found along this shoreline suggests this event happened around 5000 BC.

Some experts believe this was around the time when the great flood described in the Old Testament as swamping the Earth could have occurred.

"It probably was a bad day," Ballard said. "At some magic moment, [the water] broke through and flooded this place violently, and a lot of real estate, 150,000 square kilometres of land, went under."

The theory suggests that the story of the flood was passed down from generation to generation and eventually inspired the biblical account of Noah.

Ballard gained fame in 1985 when he used a robotic submersible equipped with remote-controlled cameras to locate the world's most famous shipwreck, the Titanic
hear my name
take a good look
this could be the day
hold my hand
lie beside me
i just need to say
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    This is interesting! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    and in somewhat related news:

http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx? ... ments=true

Man builds life-sized replica Noah's Ark

Are the polar ice caps melting? It doesn't matter to one Danish local who's built a life-sized working replica of Noah's Ark from the biblical tale.

Apparently a 20-year dream for Dutchman Johan Huibers, his ark is 130m long, 29m wide and 23m high. John took the dimensions directly from the sacred scriptures, ensuring maximum authenticity.

In the Bible story, Noah manages to save his family and flocks of animals from an all-encompassing flood that all but destroyed humanity by listening to a commandment from God.

Johan aims to bring excitement and tangibility to the Bible, hoping to attract as many as 3000 visitors a day to the attraction, which is currently docked in the Netherlands.

The unveiling comes just days ahead of the supposed Mayan calendar's end, which many people have interpreted as a foreshadowing of the apocalypse. If you're one of those people, you might want to head for the Netherlands and find Johan!
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    See also...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2000/ ... rchaeology

And this article on wooley's excavation at Ur and the other at Kish which very clearly suggest one, if not MULTIPLE very large floods (way in land) dating from 3000 to 2500bce) ... I picked this article for its skepticism, and because it is from a site that supposes evolution and science .... Which I know we are big on here ...
    http://ncse.com/cej/8/2/flood-mesopotam ... l-evidence
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    But did Noah really get 2 of every animal on the world on a boat? What did he bring for food?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,218
    Anyone heard of the Epic of Gilgamesh and the great flood? Utnapishtim, the hero, shares a lot of similarities to the Biblical Noah.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I think this is fairly old news....Ballard talked of this in previous years
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    But did Noah really get 2 of every animal on the world on a boat? What did he bring for food?

no he didnt.. its just a myth and i think they all just lived on love and a bit of hope.

i remember someone on this forum a few years back trying to tell me that in the beginning ALL animals were vegetarian and that it wasnt until the fall of adam and eve that some became carnivores.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

no he didnt.. its just a myth and i think they all just lived on love and a bit of hope.

i remember someone on this forum a few years back trying to tell me that in the beginning ALL animals were vegetarian and that it wasnt until the fall of adam and eve that some became carnivores.
    Also - what did Noah do with all the animal shit?

I once had someone try to tell me Noah's ark was reality. I couldn't fucking believe it.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options

Also - what did Noah do with all the animal shit?

I once had someone try to tell me Noah's ark was reality. I couldn't fucking believe it.

the shit went overboard... along with the truth i suspect. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say