When purchasing a vintage Jukebox

mydogmookieblaylockmydogmookieblaylock Posts: 2,996
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Does anyone know what i should be looking for. My grandpa is 88 and is dead set on me finding him one. I think he would spend up to about 2g's on it but i have no idea what to look for or even where to look really. I have looked at the first few links when you google it but i clearly need a little assistance. I am hoping someone around here is an expert.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Maybe find the vendor's name on the side of some current jukeboxs at some bars and call them. Perhaps someone maybe who has worked for that company for a while may be able to help?
  • good idea
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    you want one that is in working condition or one to restore?

do you care about the brand name?

what style?

CDs or 78s?

not an expert, but I was looking for one a few years ago.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    you want one that is in working condition or one to restore?

do you care about the brand name?

what style?

CDs or 78s?

not an expert, but I was looking for one a few years ago.
    he wants one that works and i guess plays cd's. He directions aren't great (he is getting old) just that he likes the way they sound
    so no i don't care about brand name. i think he is wanting a large good sounding jukebox.
    He asked me a while back and i thought it would pass but he asked me again last night so i figure i better do it.

Thanks
  • i have been staring this one down all day but i just don't really know anything

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCK-OLA-TRILOGY-GREAT-SHAPE-/220949955541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3371a4c3d5
    i have been staring this one down all day but i just don't really know anything

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCK-OLA-TRILOGY-GREAT-SHAPE-/220949955541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3371a4c3d5

looks like a good deal...I had assumed your grandfather would want one that plays vinyl-he might be feeling nostalgic. Though, if you filled it with music from his childhood, he might still get a kick out of it.

I'd probably still ask him, some people like that whole "push the button, watch the selector spin around, take the record, put it on the platter and play" I know I do.

Show him a pic of the one you are looking at and then a pic of a Wurlitzer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEIRQf_H06jBKWKkGDKnN4RBHlwD9QMxMTvwbgMsV2PYcduS9E

and

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgsj5Qg2UQ-WugTHLTtvCxN17UgeFudLstxLsgBBpvStLhmVk7

of course Wurlitzer is the uber maker of jukeboxes. There are other ones made by smaller companies that have the same look, for a smaller price.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • yeah i assumed (and was excited for) vinyl as well but he wants cd's because they are easier to find and he already has a bunch so he could play it right away. his words

I will show him the pic.
  • Do you know what style of music he wants to play in it?
    Maybe that may help with picking the design?
  • he likes Stevie Ray Vaughn and Van Morrison a lot. I am not sure what all cd's he has but i know he likes music with a good tempo.
  • good news - i talked my grandpa out of a cd playing jukebox and into a 50's or 60's Wurlitzer or Seeburg :D:D:D
    good news - i talked my grandpa out of a cd playing jukebox and into a 50's or 60's Wurlitzer or Seeburg :D:D:D

:lol: that's more like it!

- Christopher McCandless
  • http://desmoines.craigslist.org/atq/3472480859.html

i am going to check this guy out tonight --- i am pretty excited
    http://desmoines.craigslist.org/atq/3472480859.html

Would you like everyone here reply to his ad how overpriced the jukebox is so you can get it cheaper tonight? :lol:
  • DS1119 wrote:

Would you like everyone here reply to his ad how overpriced the jukebox is so you can get it cheaper tonight? :lol:
    haha .... i wouldn't NOT like that :shifty:
    DS1119 wrote:

haha .... i wouldn't NOT like that :shifty:

:mrgreen:
  • Update?
    I have only a handful of 45s,
    but I would love an older model juke box
    to play them on.

I am officially PERSONALLY invested
    in your quest, sir!
    Do keep the masses abreast of the outcome.

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • going to check out the craiglist ad above sometime this week. If everything looks good i will try to talk him down a little and snag it.
    Will keep you posted for sure.

Thanks Dru
  • jukeboxandgrandpa_zpsff4574d2.jpg
    here it is! 1952 Wurlitzer 1250. Works great and grandpa is stoked!
    I am going over tonight to put all the records and the amplifier back in and get her up and running.

probably gonna throw a couple of the PJ holiday 45's i have never played in there.

Super excited -- thanks everyone!
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,679
    Sweet looking machine....very cool
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • BLACK35 wrote:
    Sweet looking machine....very cool
    Thanks Black!
  • This is so cool! Congrats
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Totally bitch'n!
  • thanks guys!
    jukeboxandgrandpa_zpsff4574d2.jpg
    I am going over tonight to put all the records and the amplifier back in and get her up and running.

probably gonna throw a couple of the PJ holiday 45's i have never played in there.

Is that the actual jukebox and your grandpa?
  • DS1119 wrote:
    jukeboxandgrandpa_zpsff4574d2.jpg

Is that the actual jukebox and your grandpa?
    yep :D

The jukebox actually looks pretty cool and in good shape too.
  • DS1119 wrote:

yeah i think it was a solid purchase - 1400 dollars. full of 25 records and name tags.
    I will post another picture Monday of it all lit up.

but are you saying my grandpa doesn't look like he is cool and in good shape? i mean cmon man he is 88! :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:

yeah i think it was a solid purchase - 1400 dollars. full of 25 records and name tags.
    I will post another picture Monday of it all lit up.

but are you saying my grandpa doesn't look like he is cool and in good shape? i mean cmon man he is 88! :lol:

He actually looks great for 88. :shock:
  • DS1119 wrote:
    He actually looks great for 88. :shock:

yeah it is hard to believe -- thanks DS