Christmas gifts, and shopping.

SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,427
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Im kind of bummed this year. My 4 nieces ALL want gift cards, my mommy wants a gift card, and Kathy and I wont exchange gifts until after the Holiday. So basically I can walk down the street to Walgreens, and be done Christmas shopping in about 5 minutes! At least for my family. Her family is another story. The nephew wants car stereo speakers for a 20 year old car, that used to be grandpas. The other nephew wants xbox games.
Gift cards or not, I still plan on hitting a mall this Saturday morning. That way I can experience 3-4 hours of the madness, that is the holidays.
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Im kind of bummed this year. My 4 nieces ALL want gift cards, my mommy wants a gift card, and Kathy and I wont exchange gifts until after the Holiday. So basically I can walk down the street to Walgreens, and be done Christmas shopping in about 5 minutes! At least for my family. Her family is another story. The nephew wants car stereo speakers for a 20 year old car, that used to be grandpas. The other nephew wants xbox games.
    Gift cards or not, I still plan on hitting a mall this Saturday morning. That way I can experience 3-4 hours of the madness, that is the holidays.

i have it simple this year also...and iam very glad

what's a mall?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Im kind of bummed this year. My 4 nieces ALL want gift cards, my mommy wants a gift card, and Kathy and I wont exchange gifts until after the Holiday. So basically I can walk down the street to Walgreens, and be done Christmas shopping in about 5 minutes! At least for my family. Her family is another story. The nephew wants car stereo speakers for a 20 year old car, that used to be grandpas. The other nephew wants xbox games.

what's a mall?
    Shopping mall?
    Isnt that what it is referred to?
    A bunch of stores all piled on top of each other.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 5689,d.aWc

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    edited December 2012
    Buy a little personal something to go with each gift card. It's fun to do the light shopping
    and fun to know they get to shop for themselves too. Best of both worlds.
    Post edited by pandora on
  • pandora wrote:
    By a little personal something to go with each gift card. It's fun to do the light shopping
    I will give my 4 nieces a personal note. I will personally inform them that Christmas was MUCH more fun, when I was able to go to the TOY store and buy them gifts! By them growing older, they have taken the fun out of shopping.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

what's a mall?
    Shopping mall?
    Isnt that what it is referred to?
    A bunch of stores all piled on top of each other.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 5689,d.aWc

NYC man we don't have any malls.....the little things in life i missed out on....(hanging at the mall) :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Take me piece by piece.....

that shit's a subway station..i get out there when i go to MSG

i mean a real "DAWN OF THE DEAD" MALL ...1000 STORES...MOVIE THEATRES ...INDOOR PARKING GARAGE :lol:
    not some glorified subway station next to Macy's
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    I have shopping that needs to be done yet. You can join me & I'll share my madness with you
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:
    By a little personal something to go with each gift card. It's fun to do the light shopping
    I will give my 4 nieces a personal note. I will personally inform them that Christmas was MUCH more fun, when I was able to go to the TOY store and buy them gifts! By them growing older, they have taken the fun out of shopping.

personal notes nice touch uncle speedy :D

you are right though so much more fun to see the little ones tear into a package...
    that is Christmas! :D
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I refuse to give anyone a gift card or cash. My kids always ask for that, but no way. I remember always getting gifts that I could do something with (read, assemble, play, etc.) that day.

Each of my boys asked for a big present, and I feel fortunate to be able to get them these: 12 year-old a skateboard, 16 year-old an ipod, 17 year-old tools.

and of course I will get each of them a book and at least one other small inexpensive gift and probably some games for all of us - so far I got Yatzee for 5.99, we will have at least one game night this holiday. A few years ago it was a poker set, so that was a fun holiday teaching my sons to play poker.
  • pandora wrote:
    pandora wrote:

personal notes nice touch uncle speedy :D

you are right though so much more fun to see the little ones tear into a package...
    that is Christmas! :D
    And now each niece will get a box of Twinkies!
    :P
  • It seems Christmas has turned into an exchange of the gift card holiday, sad to say.
    And the fact that the whole process usually takes less than 5 minutes, it seems so anti-climactic.

Giving, and choosing just the right thoughtful gift has always meant far more to me than recieving.

And not being able to guess, speculate and ponder the odd shaped boxes under the tree for a week
    or so definitely takes away a lot of the fun, no doubt.
    Nice shirt.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497

Have some fun with it. Get them gift cards for stores they would never shop at. :D
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    give em gift cards to shitty places. Christmas Tree Shoppes, Dollar Store, etc.
  • Ya gotta like my nephew.
    He wants car stereo speakers...
    For a 30 year old Honda Prelude!

:P :P :P
  • I can hear it now...

How much are speakers for a 1983 Honda Prelude?
    Are you serious?
    Yes. How much are speakers for a 1983 Honda Prelude?
    More than what the car is worth.
    Shut up, and sell me the speakers!

• Same with my family - they all want gift cards and I was able to get most of them at Walgreens :yawn: I did buy them a small gift to go with the gift cards. I would like to implement a gift card ban for next year :x
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Same with my family - they all want gift cards and I was able to get most of them at Walgreens :yawn: I did buy them a small gift to go with the gift cards. I would like to implement a gift card ban for next year :x
    Next year.
    YOU and I will exchange Big, Extravagant, Huge Money Gifts with each other!!

Sound good?

Fuck everyone else!
    I am going to get a certain person a vibrator.

so they can go f&@K themself
  • rick1zoo2 wrote:

:shock:

Its the most wonderful time, of the year!
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Inlaw?
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    This was a lot less yelly and cursey than expected!
    Next year.
    YOU and I will exchange Big, Extravagant, Huge Money Gifts with each other!!

Sound good?

Fuck everyone else!
    I like this plan :thumbup: :mrgreen:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    we bowed out of the family exchange years ago, everybody just ended up exchanging gift cards.

I personally *hate* gift cards, I get gift cards to places I would never go to...like WalMart. obviously there is no thought put into that.

:lol: when I get a gift card for that place, it's like I'm getting paid to go there, and I still won't go! :lol::lol::lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

That's the gift that keeps on giving :mrgreen:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

That's the gift that keeps on giving :mrgreen:

batteries not included, bah humbug