Options

Stage Fright

Fifi_IrelandFifi_Ireland Posts: 576
edited January 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone got any tips for stage fright?

I've tried 3 open mics so far and still freaking out & shaking which is causing me to sound a lot worse than I am! I find I cant even play & sing in front of people I know the first time without nerves kicking in ! Its weird! Part of it is me worrying I'm not good enough I know but it translates into this physical shaking ..... really not good!
168dcfb.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    The best way to get over stage fright is to play for people a lot. You get used to how it feels to have people watching and listening and you get used to holding your thoughts on what you are doing.

Maybe set up some practice shows for friends or family so you have done the whole presentation a few times before you're doing it out in a place where you are worried about people judging you?

I find that the things that usually make people feel odd are the non-musical things like the walking out and the set-up type stuff so....take care of all that ahead of time. Have a plan and practice it!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Got the same problem---big time. Opening for Kansas, Loverboy, and The Eisley Brothers.....and I'm still terrified. If you get over it, lemme know.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    i am in no way recommending this or advocating it foe anyone else, but i use alcohol.

i have my preshow routine down.

2 bud lights during or after soundcheck, and then a jagerbomb with the boys 15 minutes before showtime.

that is the perfect amount for me. any less and my left hand does not respond well, any more than that and i play really sloppy.

but the best way to take care of that problem in an organic way is to just play in front of people as often as you can. i did a whole year of shows stone cold sober and i had the most crippling anxiety before and up until 6 or 7 songs into the first set. but when you get used to being in front of people it gets much easier.

plus it helps to tell yourself that 97% of the people in the room do not have the chops or the courage to get on the stage that you are standing on, so that is a victory and a confidence boost in itself.

good luck!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    Anyone got any tips for stage fright?

I've tried 3 open mics so far and still freaking out & shaking which is causing me to sound a lot worse than I am! I find I cant even play & sing in front of people I know the first time without nerves kicking in ! Its weird! Part of it is me worrying I'm not good enough I know but it translates into this physical shaking ..... really not good!

I'm not a big fan of public speaking, but what helps is when I really know what I'm talking about. It gives me confidence that I know the material well and I am prepared. Certainly the more times you do it the easier it gets.

So, one tip may to be keep practicing so you can play these songs in your sleep.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.....its on my list of new years resolutions now :D
    168dcfb.jpg
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392

I'm not a big fan of public speaking, but what helps is when I really know what I'm talking about. It gives me confidence that I know the material well and I am prepared. Certainly the more times you do it the easier it gets.

So, one tip may to be keep practicing so you can play these songs in your sleep.

I learned this when I was younger too. If you are really nervous, the songs that go the best are the ones you know so well you're almost tired of them. They come out really well because the nerves don't unseat them! :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

Got the same problem---big time. Opening for Kansas, Loverboy, and The Eisley Brothers.....and I'm still terrified. If you get over it, lemme know.

• Options
    The audience wants to like you and have a good time, they will sense you being uncomfortable. Don't worry about mistakes, most will not be noticed and even if they are if the crowd is having good time they won't care. Try to look at crowd and smile, laugh whatever, look like you're enjoying yourself, most would love to be doing what you're doing on the stage.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited May 2016
    I was surprisingly not that bad my first time at open mic but I still let the serious looks on peoples faces in the crowd put me off and go into my shell. I just try not to care and go into my own world.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    deserteddotsedeserteddotse Posts: 1,276
    A couple of things I try to think about when playing in front of people:

Be well prepared.
    People will probably not notice if I screw up. But if they do, they will forget seconds later.
    I'm on stage, not them. If they think can do better, go ahead.

Positive thinking. That and a shot of bourbon berfore the show helps. :)
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    think big thoughts.

think even BIGGER thoughts.