Any snow blower advice?

CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,779
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Gonna get mom one for Xmas, don't know much about them except to get an electric start cause they are a pain in the ass to start otherwise.

Going to Sears, I know craftsman has a good reputation.

We live on Long Island so we do get large amounts of snow, any size I should get? Thinking 24"

Any accessories I need? Gonna buy some oil too

Thank you and happy holiday :mrgreen:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,850
    research consumer reports if you can. Then read some customer reviews.

Paging 81.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • djklambakedjklambake Posts: 2,522
    Move Mom to the south.

I haven't had to shovel or snow blow a driveway in six years... It's the best!

(If I remember, you really can't go wrong with Craftsman... Get Sears to put it together and maintain it for your mom)
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i've got a craftsman single stage....21in i think 198cc. handles everything we've throw at it. no complaints.

as for the electric start.....it's a nice back up to have, but it's surprisingly easy to pull start...easier than the lawn mower.

a two stage would be nice...but it seems the single stage works well as long as it has a decent motor running it. don't skimp on engine size.

get a 4 stroke.....don't mess with mixing oil and gas.

there you have it....

so in conclusion...

4 stroke
    big motor
    electic is nice but not super important
    2 stage > 1 stage but 1 stage can handle most snow
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,779
    Thanks guys :thumbup:

81 thanks for the lowdown
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    I had this one and used it for 3 years before I sold my house....Loved it and nothing would stop it! Good Luck!

http://www.countryhomespower.com/detail ... blower/416
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    If you're going to be a snow blower buy some insulated knee pads.