Options

CD of one song

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
edited March 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
If you were to create a CD of 12 different concert versions of one song, what song would it be, and what are some of the concerts you would feature?

For instance, if I was creating a CD of just Yellow Ledbetter, I would definitely include Gorge, #1, 2006 for the Little Wing, and Newcastle 06.

Bottom line - what's your favorite PJ concert song, and what are your favorite versions of that song?
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    HatfieldHatfield Posts: 122
    I would have to go with I Got Id. Include some versions with the Cinnamon Girl tag from 98 and that great howl he began putting on the end. It was so powerful in 98 and 2000. I think he also used to tag other things on the end but I can't remember right now.
    '96 - 10/5
    '98 - 9/1 9/4 9/18
    '00 - 8/6 8/7 8/15 8/17 9/5
    '03 - 4/9 4/15 4/19 7/11 7/12
    '04 - 10/6 10/8
    '05 - 9/11 9/12 9/13 9/15
    '06 - 5/27 5/28 7/7 7/13 7/18 7/22 7/23
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Porch

6/18/92
    Unplugged
    3/17/95
    3/29/94
    12/31/93
    4/3/94
    that strange acoustic outtake ("I worship the ground that...")
    Pinkpop 92
    9/29/96
    5/12/06
    and a few others I would have to think of
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    I would agree and say my first choice would be "Porch", solely based on the fact this song has gone through several transformations throughout the years. Early years = Speed Version, Middle Years = Slow intro, Recently = Ed playing guitar on the intro and sometimes throughout the song. This song is also special cause the middle jam is always different and Ed evens adds a tag occasionally, ex: Suck You Dry.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    Three years ago I put together a disk of every Present Tense from the US leg of the 03 tour. I arranged it by date played and noted where it was in the setlist.

It's a real nice snapshot of where they were then and how they moved it around - still gets a lot of play.
  • Options
    My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    Cool thread :)

I would go with "Alive". I'll get back with which ones but this song has really evolved so it would be interesting to start with some early versions and move foward. Maybe end it with the Storytellers version with Ed's explanation of the song.
  • Options
    I'm gonna go with black...It's one of those song's you heard thousand's of times,and it just dont get old..For me anyway,..I alway's love see'ing the crowd in a trance like state when it's played live...Rearviewmirror is another..
    Now we got a fuckin fight up here,what there's a republican in the audience,what's going on? Eddie(Randell's Island N.Y 96)
  • Options
    corduroid wrote:
    Three years ago I put together a disk of every Present Tense from the US leg of the 03 tour. I arranged it by date played and noted where it was in the setlist.

It's a real nice snapshot of where they were then and how they moved it around - still gets a lot of play.

The Atlantic City Present Tense is also great!

Good pick.
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    The Atlantic City Present Tense is also great!

Good pick.

It's such a great song, I hope they keep it in 08 ... always one I hope they'll expand on.