My Girlfriend is going to a Psychic today

mydogmookieblaylockmydogmookieblaylock Posts: 2,996
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I don't agree - as i believe in God and it isn't cool to listen to the advice of false prophets .... i mean rarely do i get all churchy about stuff but this is something i feel pretty strongly about -- wonder what you all think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i think it is a waste of beer money.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • arqarq Posts: 7,995
    I don't believe in either god or psychics, both ask for money too often and they both supposedly know the future...
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • 81 wrote:

This. ^
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • jasonjason Posts: 468
    I think they are iffy, but would be interested to see what they say about me. I don't like when they ask something and you respond. They should know right?

For example -

Psychic - I see another person in your life, do you have a sister?
    Me - Why yes, yes I do.
    Psychic - I knew that, and do they have a name?
    Me - Yes they do
    Psychic - I see something happening to them, do they have legs
    Me - OMG, yes they do

This is how it should be

Me - You tell me
    Me - You tell me
    Me - You tell me

Good luck, would love to hear the outcome!
  • not an easy answer..cos after every answer there will be more questions..
    better try all the methods is life....you know ..with commin sense...
    listen all parts what have to say
    you cant say i dont believe in something or not,if you dont hear first have they have to say
    you never know someone where and how will find peace with him/herself..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I don't buy into any of that...I mean wouldn't they all be rich if they were really psychic? But I also don't see what it could hurt as long as she goes in thinking it's all in fun. I take it as more of an entertainment thing...you don't go into it thinking this person is going to change you or tell you your future, you just go for a little fun.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    can you get her to ask what the lottery numbers for tonight will be? thanks
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I think they're real.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    What's her purpose in going?

I do believe some people have an "extra" (or whatever you would call it) sense that is able to tune in to and pick up on what most folks might not otherwise see or be aware of...though I'm not sure how I feel about charging a fee to share it.

My (limited) experience tells me that it's mostly a game (racket?) of reading people, and offering insights so generic and applicable that many people would think, "hey, that's me!"

We had a Halloween party at work this year with a Tarot card reader. I was first up. She had me shuffle the cards while thinking of a question to ask. I did, and asked my question, with limited details.

She turned up the cards, made her proclamations.

So far off, I was embarrassed for her. Plus she had the scarves and glittery shit going on. Why? I figure if they actually DO have some kind of insight, the garb and distractions would be unnecessary.
  • arqarq Posts: 7,995
    DS1119 wrote:
    I think they're real.
    you think his girl friend and the psychic exist? you may be unto something :think:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    My sister went to a few back in the early 90's, most were talking out their asses but there was one, like the 2nd or 3rd one she went to, and everything she told her has come true, everything! even told her she would have two children after doctors told her it would never happen.
  • I think everyone should have a job, even the crazy people, kooks, and crackpots.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    you cant say i dont believe in something or not,if you dont hear first have they have to say
    opps..lost in traslate..psychiatric i thought u meant the doctor..
    my comment was for that ..not for Psychic
    i thought you meant ,believe in god for find answer than go to a doctor
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mydogmookieblaylockmydogmookieblaylock Posts: 2,996
    edited December 2012
    her dad died a few years back and she went then and tells me the psychic told her that her dad and other people who have passed were there and the psychic knew things only her dad would know .... so now it has been 3 years and she wants to go back and listen some more and hopefully talk to him again. It actually makes me kind of sad. It seems so desperate and I feel like she needs to let go. But obviously that is a sensitive subject and i can't openly say things like that in a manner that doesn't sound heartless -- at least i haven't thought of a way to do that.
    So i just pointed out the stuff from the bible. focusing on calling this psychic a false prophet, which i believe to be extremely accurate. If someone told me they had my dead brothers in the room i would probably punch them in the face.

also to answer another question - i doubt she tells me what happens at the appointment since i have made it clear i do not agree with her going.
    Post edited by mydogmookieblaylock on
    opps..lost in traslate..psychiatric i thought u meant the doctor..
    my comment was for that ..not for Psychic
    i thought you meant ,believe in god for find answer than go to a doctor
    that is funny and no, i am all for using modern medical science :D
    I feel like she needs to let go. But obviously that is a sensitive subject and i can't openly say things like that in a manner that doesn't sound heartless -- at least i haven't thought of a way to do that.

you want me to tell her...

i've been called a heartlass bastard before..... :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    I feel like she needs to let go. But obviously that is a sensitive subject and i can't openly say things like that in a manner that doesn't sound heartless -- at least i haven't thought of a way to do that.

you want me to tell her...

i've been called a heartlass bastard before..... :lol:
    hmm we may be on to something here. and i could owe you one.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,762
    81 wrote:

I concur with this statement.

A good "psychic" is only really good at leading people on... i.e. they draw the answers out of you through biased or leading questions that makes it appear they know more about you than they actually do... essentially you're the one telling them the information, not the other way around... it's a good tactic on someone who isn't famaliar with this concept.

Then there is also the laws of averages... like for a psychic who performs in front of a crowd.... they're in a room that holds 400 people and th psychic yells out, "I sense there is a person in this room with a birthday, can they please identify themselves".... well the room has 400 people in it and there's only 365 days in the year, so statisically speaking, there are 1.1 people in the room whose birthday it is... nothing special there, not even in that person's math skills (I realize this is a terribly simple example, but I think it illustrates my point)... you can apply the same logic when asking an individual questions... just bias the questions toward the statistics, and most of the time, you'll look like you can sense "something"...

Personally, I sense a loss of beer money in your significant other's future....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • her dad died a few years back and she went then and tells me the psychic told her that her dad and other people who have passed were there and the psychic knew things only her dad would know .... so now it has been 3 years and she wants to go back and listen some more and hopefully talk to him again. It actually makes me kind of sad. It seems so desperate and I feel like she needs to let go.

This is how I felt when I read the initial post. How sad that people are so desperate for guidance/direction/reassurance that they feel the need to go to someone like this.
    I didn't want to offend you so I didn't say it but since you did...it makes me sad for her.

My sister is still fucked in the head over our father's passing nearly 3 years ago. Whenever I talk to her she relays some story of her still trying to deal with it. I feel so sad for her own sense of loss and that she cant find her way through it. (And so thankful that I was able to get clear over the course of the year following his death.)

I dont share your religious reasons for thinking it is wrong to go to a psychic. I just think it is a load of shit. Any way you slice it, if it allows her to get on with her life and feel better about things I suppose it isn't the worst thing she could do.
  • I would just be careful about judging the psychic and not seeming to judge your girlfriend.that being said I think if it helps her to feel a little better , I don't see the harm.
    John Roach
  • her dad died a few years back and she went then and tells me the psychic told her that her dad and other people who have passed were there and the psychic knew things only her dad would know .... so now it has been 3 years and she wants to go back and listen some more and hopefully talk to him again. It actually makes me kind of sad. It seems so desperate and I feel like she needs to let go.

This is how I felt when I read the initial post. How sad that people are so desperate for guidance/direction/reassurance that they feel the need to go to someone like this.
    I didn't want to offend you so I didn't say it but since you did...it makes me sad for her.

My sister is still fucked in the head over our father's passing nearly 3 years ago. Whenever I talk to her she relays some story of her still trying to deal with it. I feel so sad for her own sense of loss and that she cant find her way through it. (And so thankful that I was able to get clear over the course of the year following his death.)

I dont share your religious reasons for thinking it is wrong to go to a psychic. I just think it is a load of shit. Any way you slice it, if it allows her to get on with her life and feel better about things I suppose it isn't the worst thing she could do.
    i agree with everything you said. thanks.
  • her dad died a few years back and she went then and tells me the psychic told her that her dad and other people who have passed were there and the psychic knew things only her dad would know .... so now it has been 3 years and she wants to go back and listen some more and hopefully talk to him again. It actually makes me kind of sad. It seems so desperate and I feel like she needs to let go. But obviously that is a sensitive subject and i can't openly say things like that in a manner that doesn't sound heartless -- at least i haven't thought of a way to do that.
    So i just pointed out the stuff from the bible. focusing on calling this psychic a false prophet, which i believe to be extremely accurate. If someone told me they had my dead brothers in the room i would probably punch them in the face.

also to answer another question - i doubt she tells me what happens at the appointment since i have made it clear i do not agree with her going.

Show her support, not judgement. If you care for her, stand by her.....no matter how ridiculous you think it is, or how much it goes against your beliefs. Just because your beliefs are in a book, and hers are not, doesn't make your beliefs better or more true.
  • her dad died a few years back and she went then and tells me the psychic told her that her dad and other people who have passed were there and the psychic knew things only her dad would know .... so now it has been 3 years and she wants to go back and listen some more and hopefully talk to him again. It actually makes me kind of sad. It seems so desperate and I feel like she needs to let go. But obviously that is a sensitive subject and i can't openly say things like that in a manner that doesn't sound heartless -- at least i haven't thought of a way to do that.

Show her support, not judgement. If you care for her, stand by her.....no matter how ridiculous you think it is, or how much it goes against your beliefs. Just because your beliefs are in a book, and hers are not, doesn't make your beliefs better or more true.

The above says it right. Plus, it doesn't sound like she's addicted to it, unlike:
    81 wrote:

She went once, 3 years ago, and it made her feel better. She wants to go one more time now, and maybe in 5 more years, she'll want to go again. Don't worry too much about it. Could be worse ways to deal with things; I mean, at least she doesn't believe that cutting herself lets her speak to him or anything. Whether the psychic is blowing smoke up her ass, or if it's real, doesn't matter.

Plus it seems weird that you're not that religious about other things, but this is the line you're drawing. Why make the distinction at false prophets, which isn't that much of a worry in today's world, but ignore other stuff… like pre-marital sex… :nono:

Might be time to re-examine thine faith! http://flyingspaghettimonster.com
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    her dad died a few years back and she went then and tells me the psychic told her that her dad and other people who have passed were there and the psychic knew things only her dad would know .... so now it has been 3 years and she wants to go back and listen some more and hopefully talk to him again. It actually makes me kind of sad. It seems so desperate and I feel like she needs to let go. But obviously that is a sensitive subject and i can't openly say things like that in a manner that doesn't sound heartless -- at least i haven't thought of a way to do that.

I generally don't have any issue with people see psychics for entertainment reasons. But psychics who pretend they can talk to the dead are nothing short of shills. People come to them grief-stricken, and these a-holes lie to them and take their money.

They only seem to know things family members know because because they're good at what they do, and it ain't talking to the dead or mind-reading. They pick up on tells, ask open-ended questions, and make generic statements that lead the victim along. No one remembers the things these hacks say that are off -- all they remember are the things said that are spot on.

But that doesn't change what is really going on -- a trick is still a trick no matter how convincing.

My sympathy for your gf’s loss. If she continues to struggle, encourage her to seek real professional help -- a therapist. They're trained and won't prey on emotions by suggesting they can speak to the dead. Good luck.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Might be time to re-examine thine faith! http://flyingspaghettimonster.com

I introduced one of my friends to the FSM page a few years back and he is a full on Pastafarian now. :lol:
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The answer she is searching for can be found in the basement of The Alamo.

:geek:
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Most psychics tell you what you want to hear...

if they tell something you don't you got the real thing.
  • HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    complete waste of money :fp:
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • jason wrote:
    I think they are iffy, but would be interested to see what they say about me. I don't like when they ask something and you respond. They should know right?

For example -

Me - Why yes, yes I do.
    Me - Yes they do
    Me - OMG, yes they do

This is how it should be

Me - You tell me
    Me - You tell me
    Me - You tell me

Good luck, would love to hear the outcome!
    I went to a psychic once and did this exact approach. The psychic told me I was very guarded and had difficulty letting people in :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    I went to a psychic once and did this exact approach. The psychic told me I was very guarded and had difficulty letting people in :lol:

i thought it was letting people out.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg