Options

Stone on Eddie and Matt from 2003

ontheroadontheroad Posts: 249
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Random, especially w/ all the bitching...i'm sure it sucked, but sometimes reading posts I wonder if some forget how lucky we are to be fans of this amazing band. And despite some flaws, and incredibly giving fanclub.

Anyway, I was messing around a bit tonight and came across this quote from a NYT review of Riot Act:

The interview was done in two sessions, first with the guitarists Mr. Gossard and Mr. McCready. At a penthouse suite at the SoHo Grand Hotel, they lounged on a couch, looking not one bit like rock stars, no long hair or funky clothes. Asked how the band had managed to stay together through everything, Mr. Gossard replied: ''We've got a great drummer and a great singer. Those are the key positions. Mike and I, we're not terrible. But within a mile of here, there are probably 100 great guitar players. When you find a singer and a drummer this good, you don't leave them.''

The second session was with the rest of the band, Mr. Vedder, the bassist Jeff Ament and the drummer Matt Cameron. They sat at a picnic table on a rooftop patio, and discussed the art of career deceleration. ''You go to a show and you know the crowd is there because they like the music, not because everybody else was going,'' Mr. Ament said. ''That's a good feeling. You look out there and you know, these are our people.''

That got me fired up for some PJ shows...
"I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 594
    Well I enjoyed that.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks for that post. I really enjoyed reading that. It's cool to see that all the band members appreciate each other and us the fans!
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    I heard Mike say: "Guitar players are a dime a dozen, but a good bass player and a good drummer - those you hang on to"
  • Options
    cool, youve warmed this heart.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Awesome.:)Do you have the rest of the interview?
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,919
    Awesome.:)Do you have the rest of the interview?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E06E1D8133EF933A25752C1A9649C8B63

Cheers!
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    ontheroad wrote:
    [...] ''You go to a show and you know the crowd is there because they like the music, not because everybody else was going,'' Mr. Ament said. ''That's a good feeling. You look out there and you know, these are our people.'' .
    :o
    I could hug Jeff right now :)