Telling someone they smell....

facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone had to tell a friend they smell? I have a friend who smells like hot trash, seriously it is absolutely appalling. I don't think he washes his clothes from one month to the next, and aside from the fact that I have to smell it, it's really embarrassing when we're out and about in public and other people pick up on it.

I've been putting off telling him for ages, and nobody else in our group of friends wants to do it, but I think the time has come to say something, I just don't know how's best to say it. Any ideas?!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hmm. :think:

"Dude, I'm your friend so I'm going to be honest with you. You reek. Your stench would knock a buzzard off a shit wagon."

(with apologies to George Carlin)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Anyone had to tell a friend they smell? I have a friend who smells like hot trash, seriously it is absolutely appalling. I don't think he washes his clothes from one month to the next, and aside from the fact that I have to smell it, it's really embarrassing when we're out and about in public and other people pick up on it.

I've been putting off telling him for ages, and nobody else in our group of friends wants to do it, but I think the time has come to say something, I just don't know how's best to say it. Any ideas?!
    Pretty easy to tell them if they are a friend. Try telling a stranger.
    #FHP
  • Hmm. :think:

"Dude, I'm your friend so I'm going to be honest with you. You reek. Your stench would knock a buzzard off a shit wagon."

Haha!

I should probably have added that this guy has self esteem issues so tact is essential!
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Is it the clothes or body odor? Cause body odor smells like taco meat to me.

Or a combination of the two?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    Also I think people are insensitive to their own smell. He may not even realize it. My daughter has mentioned my aroma to me on more than one occasion and I took appropriate action. I thought I was deodorized but was mistaken.
    #FHP
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    he does not smell himself? my guess he might not care ... i've worked with a few people that stink ... no idea how tell someone they stink other than do us a favour and clean yourself up.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I guess you have to tell him. Might help with his self esteem too.
  • Yeah,I'm gonna have too agree with DS1119,you're just going to have too tell him!
    With him already having self esteem problems he could probably take it hearing that he has body odor from 1 of his friends rather a stranger,I mean if it's that bad someone needs to tell him! Good Luck :)
    It is what it is.
    laurimae71 wrote:
    Yeah,I'm gonna have too agree with DS1119,you're just going to have too tell him!
    With him already having self esteem problems he could probably take it hearing that he has body odor from 1 of his friends rather a stranger,I mean if it's that bad someone needs to tell him! Good Luck :)
    Fuck DS1119 I said tell him first!!!
    #FHP
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Horos wrote:
    laurimae71 wrote:
    Yeah,I'm gonna have too agree with DS1119,you're just going to have too tell him!

Inner circle.

David 64xxx
    DS1119 wrote:
    Horos wrote:
    laurimae71 wrote:

Inner circle.

David 64xxx
    Literally laughing my ass off.
    #FHP
  • Is it the clothes or body odor? Cause body odor smells like taco meat to me.

Probably a mixture of both, but the clothes look really shitty with stains on them and stuff.

I can't believe he's not been told about his hygiene at work, he works in a pub kitchen - the heat in the kitchen must make it unbearable for his co-workers.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Is it the clothes or body odor? Cause body odor smells like taco meat to me.

Probably a mixture of both, but the clothes look really shitty with stains on them and stuff.

I can't believe he's not been told about his hygiene at work, he works in a pub kitchen - the heat in the kitchen must make it unbearable for his co-workers.
    Oh Jesus... yeah, I would be telling that dude to-> Ban.jpg and grab a couple of new shirts.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Sounds like a job for a social assassin
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,850
    with xmas around the corner you could buy him a shirt, some deoderant and some body spray. Think he would get the message?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    throwing in "do you wear deoderant?" nonchalantly in the middle of another conversation might get that ball rolling
  • djklambakedjklambake Posts: 2,522
    I think it'd be much easier to tell a stranger they smell. There's really nothing to lose there. Who cares if you piss off a stranger.

Telling a friend is much more difficult.

Things I'd like to know:

What's your friend's living situation like? Live alone? Have you seen his place? Is he a hoarder? Is he tidy?
    Any roommates?
    Any significant other?
    Keep on touch with parents?
    How often do you hang with said person?
    What are reasons you hang out with this person?
    Are there other things about this person that are off putting (like, is he a freeloader? cockblocker? Etc?)
    This person go to school?
    This person have a job?
    This person belong to any clubs or gyms?
    What are this person's hobbies?

Knowing this stuff would help me make a better decision on how to approach this.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV
  • rollings wrote:
    throwing in "do you wear deoderant?" nonchalantly in the middle of another conversation might get that ball rolling

I don't think that would work, he's been around when people were talking about another friend's wife who also smells, and he didn't take the hints. I think the poor hygiene is probably just a symptom of his low self-esteem, I'm thinking maybe I need to go the route of pointing out that he doesn't seem to be taking care of himself with less emphasis on the hygiene thing.
  • djklambake wrote:
    What's your friend's living situation like? Live alone? Have you seen his place? Is he a hoarder? Is he tidy?
    Any roommates?
    Any significant other?
    Keep on touch with parents?
    How often do you hang with said person?
    What are reasons you hang out with this person?
    Are there other things about this person that are off putting (like, is he a freeloader? cockblocker? Etc?)
    This person go to school?
    This person have a job?
    This person belong to any clubs or gyms?
    What are this person's hobbies?

Knowing this stuff would help me make a better decision on how to approach this.

He lives by himself, I've not seen his new place but his last place was messy, not filthy but not my idea of clean. While he is in touch with his parents his mum has some major health/psychological issues which is why he first moved out. I see him most weeks, he's just in our group of friends. He's not a freeloader or anything like that, if anything he's quite generous with the little money he has. As I said earlier he does work, no real hobbies other than watching sports - and he drinks quite a lot.
  • djklambakedjklambake Posts: 2,522
    Sounds like nobody's keeping him In check.

Things you might consider: gift him some self-help books and say "you're a good friend, these books have helped me a great deal, I'd like my friends to be as happy as I am" (even if you haven't read them)

Ask him if he wants to come with you to a laundromat to wash clothes and hang (maybe the guy doesn't know HOW to wash clothes), and maybe he might have some clothes he needs to get washed. Maybe get a couple other friends involved.

If you belong to the YMCA or something, invite him to work out with you. When it comes time to shower and clean up, and he doesn't, do the "really man? That's gross... Shower up and then we'll go get lunch" thing...

Might wanna consider a group intervention. Express how concerned you all are. Be thoughtful and genuine. It sounds like you guys value him and vice versa. No attacks. Just love.

Seems like there's more than just smell with this cat... Might even be best to consult a pro about addressing it. Not sure the smell is gonna go away until he takes care of some other issues.

Good luck, man!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV

• He lives by himself, I've not seen his new place but his last place was messy, not filthy but not my idea of clean. While he is in touch with his parents his mum has some major health/psychological issues which is why he first moved out. I see him most weeks, he's just in our group of friends. He's not a freeloader or anything like that, if anything he's quite generous with the little money he has. As I said earlier he does work, no real hobbies other than watching sports - and he drinks quite a lot.

Bring a 6 pack and hang out with him at his place to watch some sports. If you're within smell distance, randomly take a whiff and tell him he stinks. Not in a "i think you have a chronic smell issue" but with a light hearted appproach that says "it's probably this one time and it happens to the best of us".

This will clear up the self-awareness issue and act as a starting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtSpNJ7 ... ults_video
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm gonna have to go the truthful route with him and tell him that I'm concerned, I just don't think hinting or throwing off the cuff remarks is going to work because people have dropped enough of those in the past to no effect.
  • Honestly, if it's done in the spirit of friendship and caring, I think he would accept it OK. Most people with a problem like that really don't seem aware of it affecting others. When someone tells me that I'm doing something that bothers other people my reaction has usually been "Why didn't someone freakin tell me sooner!"

(Not that that happens to me very often. :P )
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Next time he's drunk you just need to wash him like you'd wash a cat. Grab him by the back of the next and jam his head under some running water. Have the soap ready in case he howls and runs like hell!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    A simple you stink go bathe should do the trick
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm gonna have to go the truthful route with him and tell him that I'm concerned, I just don't think hinting or throwing off the cuff remarks is going to work because people have dropped enough of those in the past to no effect.

You could start by assuming that he doesn't realize that he smells or that it could be a problem for others.
    I think that's the kindest way to help. Be direct but ask him questions like, "Did you realize that people notice when you clothes aren't clean and when you haven't showered? Did you realize that people that might otherwise like you are put off by the bad smell?"

That is respectful and assumes that he's unaware of the problem. Which, most likely, he is!!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,678
    We had a regular customer at the bookstore who smelled so badly that people would leave when he came in. My wife and some of the others approached me with a request to talk to him about it. Believe me- that was no easy task. After giving it good thought I approached the man and said, "Excuse me, friend, I mean no disrespect be we would really appreciate it if you could take a shower before you come in next time. If you'd like, I can find place for you to clean up." (I was fairly certain he was homeless.) Much to my amazement, he looked up at me a bit startled and quietly said, "Oh, OK," as if the thought had never occurred to him. The next time he came in he had no offensive odor.

A few years later we had the same situation with another customer. The guy really had an offensive odor. We literally had to open the doors in the dead of winter when he came in. Feeling a little braver from the previous experience, I said basically the same thing to this fellow. He looked at me and snarled and stormed out of the store and tromped down the street bellowing obscenities until he was out of ear shot. That was an extreme case though. This man needed more help than we could give him. Hard as it was, I felt ok about making the request though.

People react differently. I guess you just have to try to be as polite as possible and hope for the best. If it's said kindly and you reinforce the idea that no offense is intended you'll probably be fine.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• I read an interesting article the other day that may sort of relate to your friend, i.e. lack of self-esteem and sense of smell. It may or may not help you in your approach but I thought I'd post it anyway. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/odd-reason-guy ... 27619.html

Good luck :)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop